|"She had a reputation throughout the Clans for a sharp tongue and a short temper, as well as fearlessness in battle and deep pride in ShadowClan. She played a vital role in helping establish the new territory beside the lake when she took on the troublesome kittypets who lived in a Twoleg den amid the pine trees. Even as she got older and more frail, Russetfur remained the ShadowClan deputy, keeping younger warriors in line with her brisk words and high expectations. She was killed by Lionblaze in a battle over the clearing between ShadowClan and ThunderClan; her death was a shock to everyone, and there were suggestions that such an old cat should not have been allowed to fight. But it was the death Russetfur would have chosen for herself, bravely and in the midst of battle on behalf of her beloved ShadowClan."|
|— Narrator about Russetfur in The Ultimate Guide, page 79|
Russetfur was a ShadowClan deputy under Blackstar's leadership in the forest and lake territories. She was born as Red in the Twolegplace to Hal and an unnamed she-cat. After being impressed by the nobility of ShadowClan, Red and Boulder asked to join Clan, with her being apprenticed to Featherstorm as Russetpaw. Once earning her warrior name, Russetfur dedicated the rest of her life to serving her Clan, mentoring Cedarheart and becoming Blackstar's first deputy. She was known for her sharp tongue and pride in ShadowClan. Despite her age, Russetfur managed to take a life from Firestar during a battle skirmish, before accidentally being killed by Lionblaze ascending to StarClan soon after.
- 1 History
- 2 Character pixels
- 3 Official art
- 4 Killed victims
- 5 Ceremonies
- 6 Personality
- 7 Family
- 8 Appearances
- 9 Trivia
- 10 Quotes
- 11 External links
- 12 Notes and references
Looking for a longer overview? Find one here!
- "ShadowClan can deal with fox traps, thanks. We've seen a couple of them in our territory, but we have the sense to stay clear of them."
- ―Russetfur growling at Stormfur Sunset, page 118
- Her patrol with Cedarheart and Oakfur discover Berrykit trapped in a fox trap and make no move to help him because of his loner heritage, breaking the warrior code. She leads another patrol with Cedarheart, Rowanclaw, and Oakfur to seize more territory after the badgers attacked ThunderClan. A ThunderClan patrol arrives with reinforcements, and Firestar defeats her, causing the ShadowClan deputy to order a retreat.
- "Did Russetfur get any information out of you? She tried to from me, but fortunately Crowfeather had warned me not to give anything away."
- ―Heatherpaw to Mousepaw about Russetfur interrogating them The Sight, page 137
- Russetfur catches Sol, Jaypaw, Hollypaw, and Lionpaw on ShadowClan territory and take them to Blackstar to be questioned. She continues to serve as ShadowClan's deputy despite Blackfoot denying his leader name after he stops having faith in StarClan; however, Russetfur transitions back into her roles when Sol is cast out. She once again catches Jayfeather, Hollyleaf, and Lionblaze on ShadowClan's territory and orders Firestar to control his cats.
- "That's not true! You just want extra hunting lands. Have your greedy warriors hunted the forest clean?"
- ―Russetfur to Firestar after he demands territory back Fading Echoes, page 276
- In Yellowfang's Secret, Red is a young loner living in the Twolegplace when she meets Yellowfang and Raggedpelt seeking more information about the latter's father. After a battle, Red and Boulder visit ShadowClan asking to join, impressed by the Clan's battle skills and mercy. Cedarstar allows them to intermediately join as apprentices, and Red receives the name Russetpaw with Featherstorm as her mentor. Marmalade, Pixie, and other kittypets attempt to rescue their friends, believing they were kidnapped by ShadowClan. The two explain they joined ShadowClan on their own accord and wish to train as apprentices. When Raggedpelt kills Hal, Yellowfang attempts to comfort Russetpaw who reveals Hal was her father, but does not realize Raggpedpelt and Scorchwind are her half-brothers. Moons later, she becomes a warrior named Russetfur.
- In Tigerclaw's Fury, Tigerclaw is impressed by Russetfur's skills despite not being Clan-born. She uneasily hunts on ThunderClan's territory with Tigerclaw and Ratscar. ThunderClan catches them, and they attack with Blackfoot bringing reinforcements. She remarks to the others how Tigerclaw killed Runningwind, and that Whitethroat's death would not be in vain.
- Sasha is invited to go on a patrol with Russetfur, Blackfoot, and Jaggedtooth, nervously trying to do well. Russetfur eases her worries by telling Sasha how they used to all be rogues and how Tigerstar revived their Clan from destruction. The two bond during the hunting patrol, and Sasha thinks highly of Russetfur.
- Moons later, Russetfur and her patrol encounter Sasha when she accidentally crossed the border. She tries to convince her Clanmates to let Sasha go, but one of them smells kits on her. Sasha lies that her kits died during the harsh leaf-bare, and Russetfur lets her go. Later, Russetfur tracks down Sasha's den and sees her kits, Hawk, Moth, and Tadpole, asking if they're Tigerstar's. Sasha begs the ShadowClan she-cat not to tell Tigerstar, but Russetfur explains mournfully how Tigerstar was killed in battle moons ago. Before leaving, she warns Sasha that she should leave and wishes her family well.
Please do not edit this gallery
Please do not edit this gallery
Please do not edit this gallery
This list shows the victims Russetfur has killed:
|Russetpaw's apprentice ceremony|
- Russetfur is a sharp-tongued, short-tempered she-cat. She is fearless in battle too, and she has a deep pride in her Clan. She is brisk and has high expectations of others, and does well keeping cats in line. She would do anything for ShadowClan.
- Russetfur's parents are an unnamed she-cat and Hal. Her half-brothers are Raggedstar and Scorchwind. For more of Russetfur's family, click here!
- Tallstar's Revenge
- Yellowfang's Secret
- Tigerclaw's Fury
- Into the Woods
- A Dangerous Path (First appearance; allegiance only)
- The Darkest Hour (Allegiance only)
- Firestar's Quest
- Graystripe's Vow
- Return to the Clans
- Leafpool's Wish (Allegiance only)
- The Sight
- Dark River (Allegiance only)
- Long Shadows
- Hollyleaf's Story (Allegiance only)
- The Fourth Apprentice
- Mistystar's Omen (Allegiance only)
- Fading Echoes †
- Night Whispers
- The Last Hope
- Bramblestar's Storm (Mentioned only)
- Battles of the Clans
- The Ultimate Guide
- The Clans Decide
- Beyond the Code: Brightspirit's Mercy
- She has kittypet blood through Hal.
- She is one of the few single-litter kits in the series.
- She has served under six leaders; Cedarstar, Raggedstar, Brokenstar, Nightstar, Tigerstar, and Blackstar.
- In Night Whispers, Fernshade mentions that she was Russetfur's mentor. However, it is revealed in Yellowfang's Secret that Featherstorm was her mentor.
- She was mistakenly described as tawny, russet, fox-colored, and dark red. She has also been shown as gray with a white muzzle, underbelly, and paws.
- She has mistakenly been depicted with light green eyes.
- Red: "My name is Red, and this is Boulder. We want to join your Clan."
- Nutwhisker: "Right! As if we'd swallow that!"
- Yellowfang's Secret, pages 143-144
- Cedarstar: "Very well. A Clan would be foolish to turn down the prospect of new warriors, especially when times are hard. More paws to catch prey will always be a valued addition. You may stay here for one moon. If you prove your loyalty during that time, I'll consider making you a part of ShadowClan."
- Red: "You won't regret it."
- Yellowfang's Secret, page 145
- "Every cat knows that ThunderClan ignores borders, but ShadowClan sticks to the warrior code."
- ―Russetfur to Squirrelflight Sunset, page 115
- "Don't think you've won Firestar, ShadowClan will set a new border."
- ―Russetfur to Firestar after ShadowClan loses a fight for territory Sunset, page 142
- Berrypaw: "Yeah, right! If I hadn't clamped my tail over your mouth you would have told Russetfur that Firestar was about to give up the land by the river before Firestar had a chance to announce it himself."
- Mousepaw: "But she's the ShadowClan deputy! You can't just ignore her."
- The Sight, page 132
- "He hadn't even scratched her. Only pulled her loose. How could she be dead?"
- ―Lionblaze's thoughts after he killed Russetfur Fading Echoes, page 295
- (Indirect mention only)
- (Indirect mention only)
- (Allegiance only)
Notes and references
- Revealed in Night Whispers, page 84
- Revealed in A Dangerous Path, allegiances
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 96
- Revealed in Tallstar's Revenge, page 350
- Revealed in Fading Echoes, page 295
- Revealed in The Ultimate Guide, page 79
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 149
- Revealed in Midnight, allegiances
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, chapter 10
- Revealed in Firestar's Quest, allegiances
- Revealed in Night Whispers, allegiances
- Revealed in Fading Echoes, page 294
- Revealed in The Ultimate Guide, page 78
- Revealed in Fading Echoes, chapter 23
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 200
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 205
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 144
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 378
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 449
- Revealed in Tigerclaw's Fury, allegiances
- Revealed in Night Whispers, page 2
- Revealed in Tallstar's Revenge, page 349
- Revealed in Tallstar's Revenge, page 346
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 94
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 95
- Revealed in Tigerclaw's Fury, page 57
- Revealed in Return to the Clans, page 13