|"It wasn't your fault. It was my time to go. I sensed when I decided to go with you to search for SkyClan that I might not survive the journey. You know, I never wanted to spend my last days as an elder, sitting around in camp. I wanted to die doing something important...and your quest gave me the chance to relive a special memory with Firestar."|
|— Sandstorm reassuring Alderpaw after her death in The Apprentice's Quest, page 260|
Sandstorm was a ThunderClan warrior who has served under Bluestar's, Firestar's, and Bramblestar's leaderships in the forest and lake territories. She was born as Sandkit and was later apprenticed as Sandpaw to Whitestorm. She constantly teased the newcomer, Firepaw, a former kittypet, and after Fireheart saved her life, Sandpaw grew to respect him. After becoming a warrior, Sandstorm grew closer to Fireheart and mentored Sorreltail. Eventually, Firestar became her mate, and together, they journeyed to rebuild SkyClan, where she was their unofficial medicine cat. Afterwards, she had two kits, Squirrelkit and Leafkit, and mentored Honeyfern at the lake.
She served as one of Firestar's closest advisors, and when Firestar was killed in the Great Battle, Sandstorm mourned heavily for him. Feeling her age, she retired to the elders' den alongside Graystripe, and while she was unsatisfied staying in the elders' den, Sandstorm journeyed alongside Alderpaw and his companions to find SkyClan, but succumbed to an infected shoulder wound. Sandstorm ascended to StarClan and thanked Alderpaw for rekindling her adventures with Firestar before reuniting with him.
- 1 History
- 2 Detailed description
- 3 Character pixels
- 4 Official art
- 5 Ceremonies
- 6 Personality
- 7 Relationships
- 8 Family
- 9 Appearances
- 10 Merchandise
- 11 Trivia
- 12 Quotes
- 13 External links
- 14 Notes
- 15 Notes and references
Looking for a longer overview? Find one here!
- "[Firepaw] smells like a kittypet! Don't tell me I'm going to have to share my nest with that revolting stench!"
- ―Sandpaw when she meets Firepaw Into the Wild, page 53
- Sandstorm and Fireheart become increasingly close as warriors, and she is often seen at his side. She helps him save Cloudpaw when he is trapped in a Twoleg nest. She is jealous and hurt when Fireheart chose Brackenfur to mentor Tawnypaw instead of her, thinking she was the rightful choice, but Fireheart admits to her that he was trying to protect her from Tigerstar. Fireheart is utterly clueless about Sandstorm's love for him, until he is told by Cinderpelt, and they become openly mates. She fights alongside ThunderClan against Tigerstar's dog pack, and convinces Firestar to fight against BloodClan. She later fights in the battle against BloodClan, where her former mentor, Whitestorm, dies.
- "One of my kits has returned! […] You're back. That's all I care about. I wondered if I'd ever see you again."
- ―Sandstorm when Squirrelpaw returns from her journey with Brambleclaw Dawn, page 51
- "You wait. I'll be the crankiest elder the Clans have ever seen. Mousefur will seem sweet and gentle next to me!"
- ―Sandstorm to Firestar on the journey to a Gathering Sunrise, page 300
- Sandstorm: "Firestar. This is your last life. You can't risk losing it now. Your Clan needs you."
- Firestar: "They need me to fight."
- The Last Hope, pages 260-261
- Sandstorm is at Firestar's side when he loses a life to a fox. Much to Sandstorm's ire, she falls ill to Whitecough and Firestar and Jayfeather fuss over her. Before the Great Battle, she tries to deter Firestar from fighting because he is on his last life but Firestar insists otherwise. Sandstorm fights ferociously for ThunderClan and is nearly murdered by Mapleshade, who was jealous of everything Sandstorm had going for her. Spottedleaf saves Sandstorm's life and is killed herself, her spirit fading forever. She grieves heavily after Firestar is killed in battle.
- "And now I will live for many more in StarClan. I will get to see Firestar again, and all the cats I have loved and lost. Alderpaw, this was how it was meant to be. You have nothing to be ashamed of, or guilty about. […] There was nothing you could've done to save me. It was my time to die. No cat lives forever. This is one of the most important lessons you—or any medicine cat—will ever learn."
- ―Sandstorm to Alderpaw The Apprentice's Quest, page 182
- "I meant it when I said I wanted to come on this journey. But I want to share your mission. I want to understand why you need to help this Clan, and play an equal part in finding them."
- ―Sandstorm wanting to journey with Firestar Firestar's Quest, page 171
- "Sometimes Clan boundaries cause more damage than they’re worth."
- ―Sandstorm in regards to Clan borders Bramblestar's Storm, page chapter 19
The pixel artwork is an interpretation based upon canon material.
The pixel artwork is an interpretation based upon canon material.
Please do not edit this gallery
|Sandstorm's warrior ceremony|
|Sandstorm's elder ceremony|
- Sandstorm is a feisty, determined, loyal, sharp-tongued, and caring she-cat. She initially disliked kittypets, but after falling in love with Firestar, she was more laid back about them. She doesn't like traitors or strangers, but she loves her kin and will protect them at all costs.
- Firestar was Sandstorm's mate. She initially didn't like him, but after he saved her from falling off a gorge, she started to fall for him. They expressed their feelings and became mates, but during the journey to find SkyClan she began to question his love for her after she learns that Firestar still had lingering feelings for Spottedleaf, ThunderClan's former medicine cat. They make up after he reassures her that she wasn't second-best and soon afterwards had Leafpool and Squirrelflight. Sandstorm was one of Firestar's closest senior warriors, and she started fretting about him being on his last life when the battle with the Dark Forest was close. She grieved for him when he died, and Bramblestar thought he saw Firestar and Dustpelt walk beside her and Graystripe. She died from an infected shoulder, where she was reunited with Firestar in StarClan.
- Dustpelt and Sandstorm were good friends as apprentices and warriors. They both teased Firestar, then Firepaw, for being a former kittypet. But after Firestar saved Sandstorm from falling off the gorge, she started to fall for him, making Dustpelt jealous. However, Dustpelt moved on and became mates with Ferncloud. They both still chatted and Sandstorm trusted Dustpelt with her daughter, Squirrelflight. They were both eventually seen talking in StarClan.
- Sandstorm loves her kits very much. They both mourned when she died, and Sandstorm welcomed Leafpool to StarClan when she died.
Alderheart and Sparkpelt
- Sandstorm loves her grandchildren. She helps Alderheart on his quest to find SkyClan and comes to him in dreams, assuring him that she's fine and that he'll be a good medicine cat.
- Sandstorm and Firestar are mates, and Squirrelflight and Leafpool are their children. For more of Sandstorm's family, click here!
- Bluestar's Prophecy
- Redtail's Debt
- Into the Wild (First appearance)
- Fire and Ice
- Forest of Secrets
- Rising Storm
- Tigerclaw's Fury
- A Dangerous Path
- The Darkest Hour
- Blackfoot's Reckoning (Allegiance only)
- Firestar's Quest
- Graystripe's Vow (Then)
- Shattered Peace (Flashback only)
- A Clan in Need
- The Heart of a Warrior
- SkyClan's Destiny (Mentioned only)
- Mothwing's Secret (Allegiance only)
- Winds of Change
- The Lost Warrior (Vision or Dream)
- Leafpool's Wish
- The Sight
- Dark River
- The Rescue (Mentioned only)
- After the Flood (Mentioned only)
- Long Shadows
- Hollyleaf's Story (Allegiance only)
- The Fourth Apprentice
- Mistystar's Omen (Allegiance only)
- Fading Echoes
- Night Whispers
- Sign of the Moon
- The Forgotten Warrior
- Ravenpaw's Farewell (Mentioned only)
- The Last Hope
- Dovewing's Silence
- Crowfeather's Trial (Allegiance only)
- Bramblestar's Storm
- Hawkwing's Journey (Mentioned only)
- Pebbleshine's Kits (Mentioned only)
- The Apprentice's Quest †
- Thunder and Shadow (Mentioned only)
- Shattered Sky (Mentioned only)
- Squirrelflight's Hope
- Darkness Within (Mentioned only)
- Graystripe's Vow (Now) (Mentioned only)
- Secrets of the Clans (Retconned)
- Cats of the Clans
- Code of the Clans
- Battles of the Clans
- The Ultimate Guide
- The Clans Decide
- Spottedleaf's Honest Answer (Mentioned only)
- The Elders' Concern (Mentioned only)
Ravenpaw & Sandstorm - Mini Collector Figures
- Series 2
- Proud and fierce Sandstorm doubted Firestar when he first joined ThunderClan—but once he earned her respect, and her love, she stood firmly by his side. And even though Ravenpaw fled ThunderClan in terror to avoid Tigerclaw's wrath, he never forgot his loyalty to the friends he left behind, and offered them help whenever they needed it.
- Also included in a three-pack bundle with the rest of Series 2: Cinderpelt, Brightheart, Jayfeather, and Blackstar.
- Approximate individual price is $12.99 USD, and the three-pack bundle is $38.97 USD.
- Did you know one of Leafstar's kits, Stormheart, is named after Sandstorm? For more trivia about Sandstorm, click here!
- "Fireheart, every cat in the Clan can see that Sandstorm is very, very fond of you!"
- ―Cinderpelt telling Fireheart that Sandstorm obviously likes him Rising Storm, pages 154-155
- "I love you, Sandstorm. You'll never be second-best for me. My love for you belongs here and now, in the life we share—and it will last for all the moons to come."
- ―Firestar affirming his love to Sandstorm Firestar's Quest, pages 401-402
- "No more secrets, Firestar. I promise to try to understand how important Spottedleaf is to you, but I need to be able to trust you."
- ―Sandstorm to Firestar Firestar's Quest, page 403
- "You were trying to do your best, and you deserve praise for that. Now you'll know better for next time. Being an apprentice is all about learning and growing, and aren't you lucky to have the opportunity? And to have Leafpool and Jayfeather, such wise cats, to guide you?"
- ―Sandstorm to Alderpaw The Apprentice's Quest, page 96
- Alderpaw: "I failed you."
- Sandstorm: "No. No cat could've done more to help me. I doubt that even Jayfeather or Leafpool could have kept me alive so long. I knew the risks when I chose this quest. I know how important your visions are."
- The Apprentice's Quest, pages 181-182
- "Firestar's loyal mate, a good mother to Squirrelflight and Leafpool, she's the cat that won Firestar's heart after Spottedleaf died ... is this how Sandstorm will be remembered? She deserves far more than that, in my opinion."
- ―Rock on Sandstorm's life Cats of the Clans, page 12
- "Sandstorm had a quick temper and a strong sense of what was right, which Firestar respected. Next to his deputies and medicine cats, Sandstorm was the cat Firestar consulted most often before making any decisions for the Clan."
- ―Narrator The Ultimate Guide, page 19
- "Sandstorm would have loved to have more kits, but she knew that Firestar had enough demands on him by the rest of the Clan. She shared his sense of responsibility to all the cats who lived in the hollow, and never wished that their lives could have been different."
- ―Narrator on Sandstorm The Ultimate Guide, page 19
- "I hold Sandstorm in higher esteem than I do almost any other Clan cat. She has traveled far from the days when she and Dustpaw tormented Rusty the kittypet. I hope Firestar appreciates her journey as much as she deserves."
- ―Rock Cats of the Clans, page 12
Notes and references
- Revealed in The Apprentice's Quest, page 181
- Revealed in The Darkest Hour, page 210
- Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page 333
- Revealed in Into the Wild, allegiances
- Revealed in Into the Wild, page 15
- Revealed in The Apprentice's Quest, page 180
- Revealed on Vicky's Facebook
- Revealed in the Warriors App
- Revealed in Fire and Ice, page 280
- Revealed in Dawn, page 56
- Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page 509
- Revealed in Bramblestar's Storm, page 453
- Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page 340
- Revealed in Firestar's Quest, allegiances
- Revealed in The Sight, allegiances
- Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page 270
- Revealed in The Darkest Hour, page 202
- Revealed in Long Shadows, page 90
- Revealed in Into the Wild, page 53
- Revealed in Rising Storm, page 158
- Revealed in Rising Storm, page 179
- Revealed in Fire and Ice, page 241
- Revealed in The Darkest Hour, page 309
- Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page 107
- Revealed in Fire and Ice, chapter 22
- Revealed in Forest of Secrets, chapter 23
- Revealed in Dawn, page 51
- Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page 402
- Revealed in Fire and Ice, chapter 7
- Revealed in Firestar's Quest, chapter 11
- Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page e
- Revealed in The Last Hope, pages 259-260
- Revealed in The Last Hope, chapter 27
- Revealed in Bramblestar's Storm, pages 453-454
- Revealed in Into the Wild, pages 53-54
- Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page 18
- Revealed in Midnight, allegiances
- Revealed in Squirrelflight's Hope, page 381
- Revealed in The Apprentice's Quest, chapter 24
- Revealed in The Apprentice's Quest, page 260