|"The stars have looked down on this place for countless seasons. The stone beneath my paws has stood for endless moons. This great rock did not rise from the ground for me to sit on it. These trees did not grow to give you shelter. The grass did not cover the moor to soften our paw steps. The rabbits didn't hollow burrows for us to shelter in. The forest did not burn to destroy your home. This land isn't ours. We live here for a few short moons then disappear. But the land lives on. It isn't ours to claw into morsels and share like prey. We must honor it and protect it. It feeds us and shelters us. Can we be united in that?"|
|— Tall Shadow speaking to Clear Sky and his cats at Fourtrees in The First Battle, pages 234-235|
Shadowstar was the first leader of ShadowClan in the forest territories. Originally known as Tall Shadow, she was born in the Ancient Tribe and had a brother, Moon Shadow. She was one of the first to agree to leave the mountains, and after Shaded Moss' death on the journey, she took over as leader of the group. Tall Shadow made her camp on the moor and was distrustful of strangers, turning away those who wished to join. After Moon Shadow's death, she willingly stepped down from leadership, handing it to Gray Wing; however, she and Gray Wing later became co-leaders of the group.
During a deadly battle against Clear Sky's group, Tall Shadow wasn't hesitant to kill in order to survive, which resulted her in killing Fircone. Once the groups began to split, she chose to live in the pines, and her group was renamed ShadowClan. Tall Shadow received her nine lives and became Shadowstar; however, after becoming suspicious of Quick Water and her attempts to kill her, Shadowstar started a battle between the Clans. Shadowstar and Quick Water killed each other, making her the first leader to lose her nine lives and ascended to StarClan. She later gave Blackstar a life for leadership, and urged her Clan's independence following its absorption into SkyClan.
Looking for a longer overview? Find one here!
- "Two things drive all creatures. Fear and greed."
- ―Tall Shadow speaking about Clear Sky to Shattered Ice and Gray Wing The First Battle, page 188
- As she heals from Moon Shadow's death, she assists Gray Wing with the leadership as his health declines and leads the battle against Clear Sky with Thunder and Gray Wing. The battle is stopped when spirit cats of their fallen friends appeared and demand the leaders to unify. Afterwards, Tall Shadow decides she wants to move to the pines across the Thunderpath and meets her nephew, Sun Shadow, Moon Shadow's son, soon after. She helps lead her new group to find the blazing star and against One Eye and Slash. Her group is named ShadowClan, and herself appointed leader of it.
- In Moth Flight's Vision, Tall Shadow accepts Pebble Heart when Moth Flight announces him to be ShadowClan's medicine cat. She allows Moth Flight to stay in ShadowClan's camp as she grieved for Micah's death. Tall Shadow later gains her nine lives and the name of Shadowstar. She also allows one of Moth Flight's kits, Bubbling Stream, to join the Clan when her mother separates her and her littermates.
- "I did everything I could, and it meant something: ShadowClan will go on. My lives have been truly worthwhile."
- ―Shadowstar in StarClan Shadowstar's Life, page 300
Please do not edit this gallery
This list shows the victims Shadowstar has killed:
Personality and Relationships
- Shadowstar is intelligent and reserved. She has a strong bond with her brother Moon Shadow, and her friend Gray Wing. For more information, click here!
|Sharp Hail ♂||Dewy Leaf ♀||Moon Shadow ♂||Shadowstar ♀|
|Morning Star ♂||Falling Dusk ♂||Melting Ice ♀||Sun Shadow ♂||Dancing Leaf ♂||Crow Muzzle ♀|
= Gender Unknown
- The Sun Trail
- Thunder Rising
- The First Battle
- The Blazing Star
- A Forest Divided
- Path of Stars
- Moth Flight's Vision
- Thunderstar's Echo
- Shadowstar's Life †
- Blackfoot's Reckoning
- Long Shadows
- River of Fire
- Secrets of the Clans (First appearance; retconned)
- Code of the Clans (Mentioned only)
- The Ultimate Guide
- Did you know Shadowstar is the first of the original leaders to lose all their lives? For more trivia about Shadowstar, click here!
- "My name is Shadow. How should we unite, unless we have a leader? I can hunt in the depths of the darkest night. Let Shadow rule the forest!"
- ―Shadow, suggesting that she should rule the forest Secrets of the Clans, page 4
- Moon Shadow: "Who died and put you in charge?"
- Tall Shadow: "Shaded Moss, actually. And it's not a position I ever asked for."
- The Sun Trail, page 191
- "You should always put your own family and friends first—every cat knows that! It's far more important than the good of the larger group."
- ―Tall Shadow, commenting on Clear Sky's reasoning for exiling Jagged Peak from his group The Sun Trail, page 288
- "In life, they were torn apart; in death, they will be united."
- ―Tall Shadow as the dead are buried The Blazing Star, page 7
- "She did it because she's a Clan cat. You've all been so worried about the Twolegs taking your territory. Form the lives she knows I've lost, maybe she decided I could be close to my last. Perhaps she thought the opportunity was worth breaking our new code. If Sun Shadow and I had both died, ShadowClan would have been without a leader. It would have been easy to move in and take our territory."
- ―Shadowstar to SkyClan about Quick Water's treachery Shadowstar's Life, page 261
- Shadowstar: "We are prepared. But I have to tell you something. This is my last life. I want you to know that you are the right cat to lead this Clan."
- Raven Pelt: "No. I'll do everything I can to protect you. You can survive this battle!"
- Shadowstar's Life, page 286
- "The warrior code is what keeps us from being rogues. It makes us Clan cats. If we don't follow the code, the Clans will be more lost than we would be without our territory."
- ―Shadowstar's thoughts as she dies Shadowstar's Life, page 294
- "The other first leaders and I led groups of cats, each group finding the place; moor, forest, river, or marsh best suited to those cats’ characters and abilities. These groups, which would become the five Clans, then united in purpose for all our survival. Only by working together, five separate but connected groups, like the petals of the blazing star, could we survive. Now you, not just ShadowClan, but the ancestors of all the Clans, must send a message to the living cats. There must be five Clans! ShadowClan must be saved!"
- ―Shadowstar to the StarClan spirits River of Fire, page 4
- Gray Wing became co-leaders with Tall Shadow, and she willingly stepped down to lead with him.
Notes and references
- Revealed in Long Shadows, page 2
- Revealed in Path of Stars, page 204
- Revealed in The Sun Trail, allegiances
- Revealed in The Sun Trail, page 254
- Revealed in Thunder Rising, allegiances
- Revealed in Shadowstar's Life, chapter 9
- Revealed in The Sun Trail, page 93
- Revealed in The Sun Trail, page 191
- Revealed in Moth Flight's Vision, page 454
- Revealed in Long Shadows, page 1
- Revealed in River of Fire, page 3
- Revealed in Thunder Rising, page 168
- Revealed in Shadowstar's Life, page 295
- Revealed in Moth Flight's Vision, page 344
- Revealed in The First Battle, page 226
- Revealed in Blackfoot's Reckoning, chapter 10
- Revealed in River of Fire, page prologue
- Revealed in The First Battle, page 263
- Revealed in Shadowstar's Life, chapter 1
- Revealed in A Forest Divided, page 220
- Revealed in The Blazing Star: Bonus Scene, page 8
|Tribe of Rushing Water (ancient) cats|
|Members||Twisted Branch • Stone Song • Hollow Tree • Sharp Hail • Jay Frost|
|Kits||Fluttering Bird • Crow Muzzle • Melting Ice • Dancing Leaf • Falling Dusk • Morning Star|
|Elders||Lion's Roar • Snow Hare • Silver Frost • Misty Water|
|Cats that left on the sun trail||Shaded Moss • Tall Shadow • Clear Sky • Gray Wing • Bright Stream • Dappled Pelt • Rainswept Flower • Turtle Tail • Moon Shadow • Shattered Ice • Cloud Spots • Quick Water • Hawk Swoop • Falling Feather • Jackdaw's Cry • Jagged Peak • Quiet Rain • Sun Shadow|