This article contains major spoilers for the recently released, Daisy's Kin. Please proceed at your own discretion.
|"Me! Live out in the open in the pouring rain and have to catch every mouthful of food? No thanks! Besides, it sounds way too crowded. I'd never remember all your names. And I couldn't leave Floss all by herself, could I?"|
|— Smoky on living wild in Sunset, page 195|
Smoky is a loner who lived in the horseplace near the lake. He lived with Floss and Daisy before she left to join ThunderClan. He was the father of Berry, Mouse and Hazel, and was former mates with both Daisy and Floss. Despite his children living in ThunderClan, Smoky decided to stay at the farm and was later joined by Coriander after Floss' death. He later had kits with Coriander, but unfortunately, Coriander died after the kits were born. Smoky helped the kits get milk from Sunshine, and later went back to the horseplace, hoping that the Twolegs wouldn't take his kits.
- 1 History
- 1.1 In The New Prophecy arc
- 1.2 In the Power of Three arc
- 1.3 In the A Vision of Shadows arc
- 1.4 In The Broken Code arc
- 1.5 In the Super Editions
- 1.6 In the Novellas
- 2 Official art
- 3 Kin
- 4 Appearances
- 5 Trivia
- 6 Quotes
- 7 External links
- 8 Notes and references
In The New Prophecy arc
- "Calm down. Can't you scent kits? He's only defending his nursery."
- ―Whitetail to Mudclaw when Smoky is confronting them Starlight, page 227
- Smoky stops ThunderClan and WindClan as they walk to a Gathering together, and demands to know who they are. Two warriors, Mudclaw and Cloudtail, spring forward to attack him, but Firestar stops them. He tries to tell Smoky they weren't trying to harm him, but when Mudclaw threatens him again, the loner remains aggressive. While Brambleclaw is trying to find the loners' word for Twolegs, Smoky orders them to leave once more. Squirrelflight urges him not to be so rude, while Brambleclaw worries Smoky may cause a fight.
- The quarrel ends when Whitetail steps forward and points out the smell of kits coming from behind Smoky and Daisy, and says he is only defending his nursery. Realizing this as well, Firestar promises him that none of them would hurt kits. This seems to calm Smoky, and he backs down. As he leaves, the gray-and-white tom introduces himself and Daisy to the patrol, and tells them there was a dog living nearby. After being thanked by Firestar, Smoky goes back into the barn, reluctantly followed by Daisy.
- Smoky: "Maybe you should go."
- Daisy: "I thought you missed me."
- Sunset, page 195
- Smoky races to help Brambleclaw and Cloudtail when the two warriors are trapped by a stampede of horses. He leads them into the barn, and once they are safe, Smoky remarks he hadn't expected them to come again. Brambleclaw and Cloudtail reveal their reason from coming; they have come to speak with Daisy about her taking her kits, Hazelkit, Berrykit, and Mousekit away from ThunderClan without telling any cat. Daisy tells them that she had left because she was badly shaken by the badger attack and when Berrykit's tail had to be amputated after getting caught in a fox trap.
- After listening to Cloudtail try to persuade Daisy to return to the forest, Smoky approaches her, and murmurs it might be best if she went back. Daisy tells him she thought he had missed them. The loner replies that he had missed them, but he could see how much their kits wanted to return to the stone hollow. He also suggests that she could return to the barn once their kits were old enough and could take care of themselves. Cloudtail invites Smoky to join ThunderClan, to Brambleclaw’s dismay, but he is horrified at this. He doesn't like the idea of living outside and having to hunt for everything he eats. He continues, saying Clan life sounded too crowded for him, and he wouldn't remember any of their names. He also explains he doesn't wish to leave Floss alone. After Berrykit begs Daisy again, she reluctantly agrees to go back.
- Smoky offers Brambleclaw and Cloudtail some of the kittypet food set out for him, Daisy, and Floss, but only Cloudtail accepts. Brambleclaw remembers the stories of Cloudtail taking food from Twolegs, and wonders if he still likes it that much as in the past.
In the Power of Three arc
- "I'm impressed. ThunderClan certainly teaches cats to look after themselves."
- ―Smoky after Hazeltail teaches him battle and hunting techniques Sunrise, page 52
- Hazeltail tells Smoky her brothers' warrior names, Berrynose and Mousewhisker, which prompts Smoky to ask about Daisy, remembering how frightened she had been when he last saw her. Brambleclaw tells her Daisy was doing well, and Hazeltail informs him of her two kits with Spiderleg, Rosekit, and Toadkit. Smoky comments that she had moved on, and stares off into the distance for a while before drawing himself from his memories and asking Hazeltail to show him her warrior skills. Hazeltail happily obliges him, and Smoky is happy with her progress.
- He agrees with Floss when she invites the patrol to spend the night in the stable, but Brambleclaw refuses them, which is when she and Smoky find out about Ashfur's murder. Brackenfur describes Sol to the two loners and asks if they had seen him. Floss thinks she might have seen him, and Brambleclaw says they were close to catching him. The patrol prepares to leave; Hazeltail promises to visit Smoky again on the return journey, and he leaves her with an open invitation to visit again.
In the A Vision of Shadows arc
- While passing the horseplace, Alderheart notes Smoky and Coriander both live there.
In The Broken Code arc
- Bristlefrost recalls that Daisy went to help Smoky with a new litter of kits, and hopes she went just to help him.
In the Super Editions
- Hootpaw claims to see a ghost in the tunnels, making Harespring claim Smoky told him about kittypets who came back as ghosts to visit their Twolegs.
- When Daisy spots him at the Gathering, she calls out his name but frightens him off. Later, when Daisy and Bramblestar go to the Horseplace, Smoky sits on a fence post, and greets the pair warmly. Daisy asks where Floss is, and he replies with a somber voice, saying that she is dead. He leads the Clan cats to Floss's burial site. When Coriander appears, he explains that she is a great mouser and Floss's replacement, which greatly upsets Daisy. Smoky offers to go inside the barn to hunt, and they follow him inside. Daisy states that there is a lot to do at camp and they leave the barn.
In the Novellas
- Daisy: "I know what the pain is like, of seeing my kits die. Believe me, Smoky, that's not something you want to go through, if you can avoid."
- Smoky: "But knowing my kits are alive and never being able to see them-I know what that's like very well. I'm not going to go through that again, if I can help it. Thanks to the decisions you made in the past, I don't know how to handle the grief of losing a kit. I've found out just today that I already lost two, even though you never actually told me, and I don't know how to mourn them the way a father should, because I never knew them."
- Daisy's Kin, page chapter 5
- Mousewhisker brings Squirrelflight the news that Smoky has come to their border, wishing to speak to Daisy. Squirrelflight gives Smoky permission to be escorted in. After spotting Daisy, Smoky rushes over and greets his former mate. Out of curiosity, Squirrelflight asks why the loner had come. Smoky explains that Coriander, his mate, is kitting, but no kits were coming, and the situation might be bad. Squirrelflight allows Mousewhisker, Daisy, Sorrelstripe, and Alderheart to accompany Smoky back to the horseplace and help Coriander.
- Once at the horseplace, Smoky shows the Clan cats where Coriander was kitting. Daisy notes that the situation is bad. Smoky bends by Coriander's side, licking her to try and comfort her. Smoky helps convince Coriander to eat a berry that Alderheart gives her. He tries to remind her of the great times they will have with their kits, but Daisy knows the tom knows that Coriander may not be there. Coriander urges Smoky to promise her that the Twolegs won't take their kits, and he won't give them to the Clans. Smoky promises that the kits will remain with them, but Coriander corrects him that it will only be Smoky, knowing that she won't survive her kitting.
- Coriander gives birth to three kits, but one is stillborn. Daisy is extremely sad that Smoky had to see his mate and one of his kits leave the world. Later, Alderheart suggests finding prey to keep the kits alive. Smoky states that he knows a spot, and takes Daisy and Mousewhisker with him. They return with enough prey to feed the kits. Smoky watches while Alderheart and Daisy feeds the kits, hoping that the medicine cat's idea will work. After the kits are quiet, Alderheart informs Smoky that giving them to Twolegs may be the only chance of survival. Smoky remains stubborn, reprimanding Daisy that he doesn't know how to mourn his kits like a proper father because of her, and that he knows the feeling of his kits being alive and never being able to see them.
- Smoky states that there is a kittypet named Coco, and that she may have milk. It is too late for the cats to go search for Coco, so they decide to hunt for the kits, while leaving the kits in Alderheart's care. Smoky comes back to the hollow they left Alderheart and the kits in, filled with anxiety upon not finding the kits.
- More Coming Soon
Please do not edit this gallery
- Coriander: Deceased, residence unknown
- Daisy (formerly): Living (As of Daisy's Kin)
- Floss (formerly): Deceased, residence unknown
- Berrynose: Deceased, verified Place of No Stars member
- Mousewhisker: Living (As of Daisy's Kin)
- Coriander: Living (As of Daisy's Kin)
|Spiderleg ♂||Daisy ♀||Smoky ♂||Floss ♀|
|Toadstep ♂||Rosepetal ♀||Unnamed kit||Coriander ♂||Daisy ♀||Unidentified kits|
|Hazeltail ♀||Mousewhisker ♂||Honeyfern ♀||Berrynose ♂||Poppyfrost ♀|
|Molewhisker ♂||Cherryfall ♀|
= Gender Unknown
- Starlight (First appearance)
- Twilight (Allegiance only)
- Leafpool's Wish (Allegiance only)
- Outcast (Mentioned only)
- Hollyleaf's Story (Allegiance only)
- The Fourth Apprentice (Allegiance only)
- Mistystar's Omen (Allegiance only)
- Fading Echoes (Allegiance only)
- Night Whispers (Allegiance only)
- The Forgotten Warrior (Allegiance only)
- The Last Hope (Allegiance only)
- Dovewing's Silence (Allegiance only)
- Crowfeather's Trial (Mentioned only)
- Bramblestar's Storm
- River of Fire (Mentioned only)
- Darkness Within (Mentioned only)
- Daisy's Kin
- Secrets of the Clans (Mentioned only; retconned)
The following information is from sources considered non-canon or retconned.
- In Secrets of the Clans, a 2007 field guide, Floss explains to Daisy how the Nofurs took her and Smoky's litter away. Daisy, who is expecting Smoky's kits, decides to leave for the Clans, believing Smoky wouldn't make an attempt to stop her.
- Hazeltail: "She has two more kits! Rosekit and Toadkit. They're so cute!"
- Smoky: "I can see she has moved on."
- Sunrise, page 52
- (Warrior of the Week #26)
- (Mentioned only)
- (Indirect mention only)
- (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- Revealed in Starlight, allegiances
- Revealed in Daisy's Kin, chapter 1
- Revealed in Sunrise, page 50
- Revealed in Starlight, page 226
- Revealed in Daisy's Kin, chapter 2
- Revealed in Secrets of the Clans, page 150
- Revealed in Secrets of the Clans, page 152
- Revealed in Daisy's Kin, chapter 3
- Revealed in Starlight, page 228
- Revealed in The Fourth Apprentice, page 299