|"You actually want to live with these violent ruffians?"|
|— Smudge to Firestar in Firestar's Quest, page 71|
Smudge is a kittypet that resided in the Twolegplace near the old forest and the former neighbor of Firestar when he lived as a kittypet named Rusty. The two were close friends as kittens, and though Rusty's departure to join ThunderClan left Smudge saddened, he ultimately accepted his friend's decision. Despite their different paths, Smudge and Firestar remained on friendly terms whenever crossing paths. He also was friendly with a BloodClan queen, Gremlin, and would let her meet Graystripe in his garden from time to time. Moons later, Smudge told stories of the Clans to kittypets that inspired them to imitate some of the Clan ways, calling themselves WarriorClan.
- 1 History
- 1.1 In The Prophecies Begin arc
- 1.2 In The New Prophecy arc
- 1.3 In the Super Editions
- 1.4 In the Novellas
- 1.5 In the Field Guides
- 2 Detailed description
- 3 Character pixels
- 4 Official art
- 5 Appearances
- 6 Trivia
- 7 Quotes
- 8 External links
- 9 Notes and references
In The Prophecies Begin arc
- "Please don't go Rusty. I might never see you again."
- ―Smudge to Rusty Into the Wild, page 27
- The next day, Smudge talks to Rusty again and asks him about his visit to the woods. He is shocked when Rusty tells him about fighting one of the wild cats. When Rusty decides that he is going to join ThunderClan, Smudge is upset and begs him not to leave. He later accepts that his friend will be gone. Smudge spends the rest of the morning with Rusty, visiting their old haunts and later says good-bye to him before he leaves. Later, he sees Rusty, now Firepaw, while he is having an assessment. The two of them didn't recognize each other at first, but when they did, they started catching up. Tigerclaw witnesses this interaction and reports the incident to Bluestar.
- When Firestar goes to Twolegplace to pay his old home a visit, he sees Smudge talking with an unnamed she-cat, later revealed to be Hattie. He quickly assumes she must live at his previous home.
In The New Prophecy arc
- Smudge is mentioned by Cody, who meets Leafpaw and asks her about Clan life, talking about how Smudge lived with Rusty.
In the Super Editions
- "I... I think, that is, I'm afraid I might have to come and live in the forest with you."
- ―Smudge to Firestar Firestar's Quest, page 72
- Fortunately, Firestar is nearby and able to stop the ensuing fight. He later finds out that Smudge's Twoleg nest is built on the site of the old SkyClan camp and that his dreams were about SkyClan. While they are talking at his Twoleg nest, he introduces Firestar to Hattie, a kittypet who lives with Firestar's old housefolk. Smudge lets Firestar spend the night in his yard, hoping to find some answers. He is soon relieved that he doesn't have to leave his housefolk to live in the forest with the other wild cats as Firestar had done.
- "It's strange that Fury believed Smudge might consider joining BloodClan, Graystripe mused. He is brave—for a kittypet. But he's not meant for the Clans, much less battle-thirsty BloodClan!"
- ―Graystripe's thoughts after Smudge's encounter with Fury Graystripe's Vow, page 264
- Smudge is briefly mentioned by the cats of WarriorClan. They say that Smudge taught them everything about the Clans, and that he didn't know what happened to the Clans in the old forest. They continue that Smudge kept on talking about a fiery orange tom, who Graystripe recognizes as Firestar.
In the Novellas
- Smudge is briefly mentioned by Violet, who tells Barley and Ravenpaw that Smudge would tell Riley and Bella stories about ThunderClan. When Violet says that she thinks her brother and Ravenpaw have met Smudge before, Ravenpaw says yes, and his eyes cloud with memories, saying that Smudge was one of Firestar's friends before he'd left to join ThunderClan.
In the Field Guides
- Rock explains to the kits, Adderkit, Blossomkit, and Mosskit, that Smudge was Firestar's neighbor and best friend when he was a kittypet. Rock describes Smudge as plump and lazy, and says that Smudge couldn't understand why Firestar would want to live with the supposedly dangerous Clan cats. Despite this, he was brave enough to find Firestar when he had dreams of SkyClan, which shows his loyalty to his friend, proving that not all kittypets are just fat and lazy.
- Smudge shares a page with Princess. He was the first to know of Rusty's interest in the woods. Although he couldn't be bothered with wild cats, he was loyal to Rusty and searched him out when he began dreaming of strange cats. Why StarClan would have shared these signs with a kittypet is unknown, though maybe they are not as judgmental toward cats like himself.
- Smudge is a soft and thick-furred, plump black-and-white tom with amber eyes, and a black nose. He has black shoulders, a narrow face, and a white tail-tip.
Please do not edit this gallery
Please do not edit this gallery
- Into the Wild (First appearance)
- Fire and Ice (Allegiance only)
- Forest of Secrets (Allegiance only)
- Rising Storm (Allegiance only)
- Tigerclaw's Fury (Allegiance only)
- A Dangerous Path (Allegiance only)
- The Darkest Hour
- Blackfoot's Reckoning (Allegiance only)
- Firestar's Quest
- Graystripe's Vow (Then)
- Dawn (Mentioned only)
- Ravenpaw's Farewell (Mentioned only)
- Graystripe's Vow (Now) (Mentioned only)
- Cats of the Clans
- The Ultimate Guide
- Smudge is still listed as a kitten in the allegiances of Tigerclaw's Fury, despite being full grown at the time.
- "You're not going into the woods, are you?"
- ―Smudge to Rusty Into the Wild, page 10
- Rusty: "They asked me to join their Clan. They did!"
- Smudge: "Why would they do that?"
- Into the Wild, page 27
- "When I saw Smudge today—that's the house cat Tigerclaw saw me talking with—I saw what life would have been like if I had stayed with the Twolegs. I felt happy that I had not stayed. I was proud I left. Meeting Smudge made me certain I made the right decision. I could never have been satisfied with the soft life of a kittypet."
- ―Firepaw defending his encounter with Smudge to Bluestar Into the Wild, page chapter 11
- Firestar: "It's good to see you again, Smudge. Why did you come so far into the forest? You know it's dangerous for you. Well?"
- Smudge: "I... I think, that is, I'm afraid I might have to come and live in the forest with you."
- Firestar's Quest, pages 72-73
- (Allegiance only)