|"I'm hunting. And no matter what you two say, WindClan cats have just as much right to hunt at Fourtrees as you do. ThunderClan doesn't own everything. No wonder you're always fighting with RiverClan over Sunningrocks. What a bunch of bullies."|
|— Sorrelpaw to Tigerclaw and Redtail in Redtail's Debt, chapter 4|
Sorrelpaw is a gray-and-brown she-cat.
Sorrelpaw was a WindClan apprentice under Heatherstar’s leadership in the forest territories. She was born as Sorrelkit to Meadowslip and Hickorynose along with her brothers, Hopkit and Pigeonkit. She soon gained her apprentice name, Sorrelpaw, and Stagleap as her mentor. While she was out hunting, she accidentally crossed the ThunderClan border and ran into Redtail and Tigerclaw. Tigerclaw ordered Redtail to attack the young apprentice, which he reluctantly did. However, Stagleap soon arrived, and chastised the warriors for bullying an apprentice. Sorrelpaw was badly wounded, and Stagleap took her back to the WindClan camp. Tigerclaw later used this incident as an excuse to attack WindClan.
In the Super Editions
- "Don't worry, Sorrelpaw. You'll be a great apprentice. And I promise not to eat you."
- ―Stagleap to Sorrelpaw, after she is made his apprentice Tallstar's Revenge, page 490
- She greets Tallpaw as he returns from his trip to the Moonstone, racing after her brothers. Her pelt is spiked with excitement, and she sniffs Tallpaw's fur. Glancing over at her brother, Pigeonkit, she comments that he smells funny, and she then asks what he saw while he was away. He responds that he saw the Moonstone, prompting her to ask if it was big, to which he responds. Tallpaw is too tired to continue the conversation, instead asking if they've had their first taste of mouse yet. Sorrelkit announces that she has. Tallpaw then offers to pluck off the feathers of a lapwing for them to eat, and Sorrelkit responds with excitement, asking if he would. She races off toward the prey heap with Pigeonkit, streaking ahead. Hopkit decides to follow as well, and Tallpaw carries him over to his littermates.
- Sorrelkit is at Tallpaw's warrior naming ceremony leaning over the edge as her brother asks their mother, Meadowslip, why they couldn't sit next to her to watch. She shoos them over to the nursery, saying they'll be able to see fine from there, and Heatherstar didn't need kits under her paws. She accompanies her brothers as they wait for Palebird to give birth to her litter of kits. She pushes Hopkit aside and responds to him when he asks if they're born yet, pointing out that Hawkheart is still in the nursery. Hopkit notes that they wouldn't be the youngest anymore, and Sorrelkit declares that she couldn't wait to show Palebird's kits around camp. However, Meadowslip warns Sorrelkit that it would be a few days before they would be allowed out of the nursery. As Heatherstar calls for another Clan meeting, Woollytail nearly trips over Hopkit, Sorrelkit, and Pigeonkit, as they dash ahead of Meadowslip, and barge past their Clanmates.
- When he returns from his journey, Talltail watches Pigeonkit and Sorrelkit, who are already awake, chase Palebird's kits around the Hunting Stones. Talltail wonders the location of Hopkit, and he's relieved to see that he is not playing with his Clanmates.
- After the battle with ShadowClan, Talltail notes that Pigeonkit and Sorrelkit have grown too big to share a nest in the nursery. Palebird claims that Ryestalk would be more comfortable once Heatherstar made Sorrelkit, Hopkit and Pigeonkit apprentices, and describes them as being as large as hares, and she comments that they must be six moons by that point. While discussing with Heatherstar, he points out that Sorrelkit would never have the speed of Stagleap. Heatherstar calls together a meeting shortly after, and Sorrelkit and Pigeonkit scramble through the gorse. She asks about Hopkit quietly, and Meadowslip tells her that he understood that he couldn't be an apprentice like her. Heatherstar calls for Sorrelkit and Pigeonkit, and they scramble into the hollow, and trot over to their leader.
- Following the naming of Pigeonpaw an apprentice, Heatherstar turns to Sorrelkit. She is named Sorrelpaw, and is given Stagleap as a mentor. Her eyes widen as her mentor pads forward to greet her as an apprentice and she nervously twitches her tail as he touches her head. Stagleap tells her not to worry, assuring her that she would be a great apprentice, and jokes that he promises not to eat the young cat. Heatherstar asks for Sorrelpaw to learn boldness and loyalty from Stagleap, and she promises to.
In the Novellas
- Sorrelpaw accidentally catches a rabbit on ThunderClan's territory and runs into Redtail and Tigerclaw. At first, she refuses to admit she trespassed despite the obvious evidence. Tigerclaw orders Redtail to teach her a lesson, and Redtail reluctantly attacks and injures Sorrelpaw, but stops when Tigerclaw orders him to kill her. Stagleap arrives and scolds the two ThunderClan warriors for beating up such a young apprentice. Tigerclaw lies about what happened, and Heatherstar and Sunstar bicker about it during the Gathering. Redtail finds Stagleap who tells Redtail that Sorrelpaw was still healing.
Please do not edit this gallery
Please do not edit this gallery
|Sorrelpaw's apprentice ceremony|
- Eaglekit: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Hillkit: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Downkit: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Breezepelt: Living (As of The Place of No Stars)
- Jayfeather: Living (As of The Place of No Stars)
- Lionblaze: Living (As of The Place of No Stars)
- Hollytuft: Living (As of Daisy's Kin)
- Sorrelstripe: Living (As of Daisy's Kin)
- Spotfur: Living (As of Daisy's Kin)
- Flywhisker: Living (As of Graystripe's Vow)
- Smokehaze: Deceased, verified Place of No Stars member
- Brindlewing: Living (As of The Place of No Stars)
- Woodsong: Living (As of The Place of No Stars)
- Appleshine: Living (As of The Place of No Stars)
- Bristlefrost: Living (As of The Place of No Stars)
- Thriftear: Living (As of The Place of No Stars)
- Myrtlepaw: Living (As of The Place of No Stars)
= Gender Unknown
The following information is from sources considered non-canon or retconned.
- In Su Susann's "Missing Kits" on Vicky's Facebook, Sorrelpaw's warrior name was Sorrelcharm due to her charming personality. She and Tornear became mates, and their daughter was Tawnyfur.
- Sorrelkit: "He smells funny."
- Pigeonkit: "Your fur's all wet."
- Tallstar's Revenge, page 245
- Hopkit: "Are they here yet?"
- Sorrelkit: "Hawkheart's still in there, rabbit-brain. Of course they're not here yet."
- Tallstar's Revenge, page 264
Notes and references
- Revealed on the screenshot) (
- Revealed in Tallstar's Revenge, page 208
- Revealed in Tallstar's Revenge, page 489
- Revealed in Crowfeather's Trial, page 211
- Revealed in Fire and Ice, page 2
- Revealed on the screenshot) (
- Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page 40
- Revealed in The Sight, page 118
- Revealed in Sunrise, page 290
- Revealed in Crowfeather's Trial, page 406
- Revealed in Bramblestar's Storm, page 478
- Revealed in River of Fire, allegiances
- Revealed on Kate's Blog
- Revealed in Lost Stars, allegiances
- Revealed in River of Fire, page 203
- Revealed in Squirrelflight's Hope, allegiances
- Revealed on Vicky's Facebook