|"But I never stopped watching, never gave up on trying to help him. I walked with him in dreams, shared his fears, guided him with all the knowledge that being in StarClan gave me."|
|— Spottedleaf about guiding Firestar's path in Spottedleaf's Honest Answer|
Spottedleaf was a medicine cat under Bluestar's leadership in the forest territories. She was born as Spottedkit to Adderfang and Swiftbreeze alongside her littermates, Redkit and Willowkit. Initially, Spottedpaw was apprenticed to Thrushpelt; however, she decided to become a medicine cat with Featherwhisker as her new mentor. After earning her medicine cat name, Spottedleaf received a prophecy from StarClan that referred to the newcomer, Firepaw. The two felt something for each other, but they never revealed their true feelings as Spottedleaf was killed by Clawface, a ShadowClan warrior. She ascended to StarClan and particularly appeared in Fireheart's dreams. She then gave Fireheart a life for love and helped him while he rebuilt SkyClan, while also giving Leafstar one of her nine lives. During the Great Battle, Spottedleaf was killed by Mapleshade while protecting Sandstorm, fading away forever, which devastated Firestar.
Looking for a longer overview? Find one here!
- "Wait, Firepaw. StarClan spoke to me moons ago, before you joined the Clan. I sense they want me to tell you this now. They said only fire can save our Clan."
- ―Spottedleaf to Firepaw about his destiny Into the Wild, page 211
- "I know what it is to love, although my path was different from yours. Who knows—if I had lived, I might have suffered what you are suffering now"
- ―Spottedleaf to Leafpool about love as a medicine cat Twilight, pages 249-250
- "When will you realize that StarClan doesn’t know everything? Sometimes we have questions, too! Sometimes we’re just cats, like you!"
- ―Spottedleaf to Jayfeather about StarClan's power Sunrise, page chapter 9
- "That was never going to happen, my love. I cannot journey with you anymore. I'm so sorry."
- ―Spottedleaf to Firestar as she dies The Last Hope, page 315
- "Sometimes I would give anything for things to be different."
- ―Spottedleaf to Firestar on their relationship Firestar's Quest, page 402
- In Firestar's Quest, Spottedleaf teaches Firestar all she knows about SkyClan. She later appears to give burdock root to Firestar and Sandstorm after a battle with rats. Spottedleaf appears when Firestar accidentally reveals to Sandstorm about his previous visit by Spottedleaf, which makes Sandstorm uncomfortable and hurt. She comforts Sandstorm, saying that she and Firestar could never have been mates, and before she leaves, she whispers to Firestar's ear, wishing things could have been different. At Leafstar's leadership ceremony, Spottedleaf gives her a life for healing wounds caused by words and rivalry.
- In Spottedleaf's Heart, Spottedkit wants to become a warrior along with her littermates. As an apprentice, Thistleclaw takes advantage of her trust, and the two become close. Spottedpaw thinks that she would like to become a warrior so that they can become mates. However, she finds out that Thistleclaw was manipulating her to join him in training in the Dark Forest. Spottedpaw is horrified and severs her relationship with Thistleclaw, deciding to become a medicine cat so that he would no longer pursue her.
- Spottedleaf is a small, lithe, soft-furred, dark tortoiseshell-and-white she-cat with large, warm, amber eyes, and white-tipped ears. Her coat is distinctively dappled and mottled with orange and brown markings, and she has a small, pink nose. One of her eyes is rimmed with darker fur than the other, and she has small white paws, a white muzzle and chest, and a black-tipped, gold-and-brown-striped tabby tail.
Please do not edit this gallery
|Spottedpaw's apprentice ceremony|
- Spottedleaf's parents are Swiftbreeze and Adderfang. Her littermates are Redtail and Willowpelt, and her older siblings are Patchpelt and Leopardfoot. For more of Spottedleaf's family, click here!
- Moth Flight's Vision (Vision or Dream)
- Yellowfang's Secret
- Bluestar's Prophecy
- Leopardstar's Honor
- Spottedleaf's Heart
- Redtail's Debt
- Into the Wild † (First appearance)
- Fire and Ice
- Forest of Secrets
- Rising Storm
- A Dangerous Path
- The Darkest Hour
- Firestar's Quest
- Shattered Peace
- SkyClan's Destiny
- Midnight (Mentioned only)
- Mothwing's Secret (Mentioned only)
- Leafpool's Wish
- The Sight
- After the Flood
- Long Shadows
- The Fourth Apprentice
- Fading Echoes
- Night Whispers
- The Forgotten Warrior (Mentioned only)
- Ravenpaw's Farewell (Mentioned only)
- The Last Hope †
- Bramblestar's Storm (Mentioned only)
- The Apprentice's Quest (Mentioned only)
- Secrets of the Clans (Retconned)
- Code of the Clans
- The Ultimate Guide
- Spottedleaf's Honest Answer
- Did you know that Spottedleaf has SkyClan ancestry? For more trivia about Spottedleaf, click here!
- "You have never been wrong before, Spottedleaf. If StarClan has spoken, then it must be so. Fire will save our Clan."
- ―Bluestar to Spottedleaf Into the Wild, page 5
- "With this life I give you love. Use it well, for all the cats in your care-and especially for Sandstorm."
- ―Spottedleaf to Fireheart The Darkest Hour, page 53
- "Firestar and I never discovered what we might have meant to each other. I was alive in the forest for such a short time after he came to ThunderClan. But I know for sure that he and I could never have been mates. I was and always will be a medicine cat. That comes first, more than any cat that walks the forest, more even than Firestar."
- ―Spottedleaf to Sandstorm on Firestar Firestar's Quest, page 401
- Leafstar: "Spottedleaf was there, too."
- Echosong: "I wish I'd seen her. There's so much I need to ask her about herbs."
- SkyClan's Destiny, page 58
- "Seize the moment! Destiny will arrive, whether we seek it or not."
- ―Spottedleaf to Leafstar about her Clan's destiny SkyClan's Destiny, page 220
- "Flametail! Stop making threats like a warrior! You're a medicine cat! You have more power than you ever dreamed of. You only need to tell the truth. Help the medicine cats work together again. If our code is broken, the Clans will fall. We are the heartbeat of the Clans, not the warrior code. Think of the promises you made."
- ―Spottedleaf to Flametail The Last Hope, page 183
- Mapleshade: "Spottedleaf! Why didn't you let me kill her? She stole Firestar's love from you."
- Spottedleaf: "There was nothing to steal. Sandstorm made Firestar happy!"
- The Last Hope, page 313
Notes and references
- Revealed in The Last Hope, page 315
- Revealed in Fire and Ice, page 265
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 362
- Revealed in Into the Wild, page 231
- Revealed in Into the Wild, page 266
- Revealed in The Last Hope, pages 314-315
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 423
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 463
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 507
- Revealed in Into the Wild, page 268
- Revealed in Into the Wild, allegiances
- Revealed in The Fourth Apprentice, page 2
- Revealed in Into the Wild, page 47
- Revealed in Into the Wild, page 3
- Revealed in The Sight, page 32
- Revealed in The Darkest Hour, page 314
- Revealed in Spottedleaf's Heart, chapter 6
- Revealed in Into the Wild, page 33
- Revealed in Moonrise, page 169
- Revealed in Dawn, page 95