|"I know the warrior code is important. I never would have broken it if I hadn't felt I was doing the right thing. I hope the mistakes I've made, I've made out of love."|
|— Squirrelflight to the cats of StarClan in Squirrelflight's Hope, page 350|
Squirrelflight is a former ThunderClan deputy that served under Bramblestar's leadership in the lake territories, and is currently taking refuge in ShadowClan. She was born as Squirrelkit to Firestar and Sandstorm alongside Leafkit. As an apprentice, Squirrelpaw was apprenticed to Dustpelt. While her sister was calm and patient, Squirrelpaw was independent, brave, and fiercely passionate, which often got her into trouble. She followed Brambleclaw on the journey to the sun-drown place, where two grew close. When the Clans arrived at their new home by the lake, she was given her warrior name, Squirrelflight, because of her bravery.
She and Brambleclaw became parents to Lionkit, Jaykit, and Hollykit. However, it was revealed that their kits were actually Crowfeather and Leafpool's. Brambleclaw was furious about being lied to, and the two broke up. After the battle against the Dark Forest, Brambleclaw became leader and appointed Squirrelflight as his deputy as a display of forgiveness. They eventually had kits of their own: Alderkit, Sparkkit, Juniperkit, and Dandelionkit, though only Alderheart and Sparkpelt survive to adulthood.
Squirrelflight eventually came at odds with Bramblestar when she defended the Sisters from ThunderClan and was almost killed by a rockslide. StarClan allowed her body to heal, but Leafpool died. After Bramblestar's unexpected death, Squirrelflight took over his duties but she relinquished them when he was revived. When she discovered Bramblestar was being possessed and was exiled, Squirrelflight took refuge in ShadowClan.
Looking for a longer overview? Find one here!
- "Yes, O Great One, I shall do exactly what you say. And when we come back empty-pawed, maybe you'll admit that I was right."
- —Squirrelpaw to Brambleclaw Midnight, page 16
- On the journey, Squirrelpaw is clever and brave, often coming up with good ideas in bad situations. She earns every cat's respect with her courage, particularly Brambleclaw. Squirrelpaw's connection with Leafpaw is useful and she is able to recall important herbs to heal Tawnypelt's infected rat bite, as well as letting Leafpaw know she was safe. After hearing Midnight's message, the six cats return home to their Clans. When they return, they are shocked to see how the forest had been destroyed and that their Clans starving. She and Brambleclaw help lead the Clans on the Great Journey to the lake territories. Firestar rewards her with her warrior name, Squirrelflight, for her courage and service to the Clans.
- While the Clans settle into their new territories, Brambleclaw becomes very close to his half-brother, Hawkfrost. Squirrelflight distrusts Hawkfrost and their relationship greatly, and after multiple arguments with Brambleclaw, they break up. She finds comfort in her friend, Ashfur, though she does not reciprocate the romantic feelings he has for her. When Brambleclaw saves her father, Firestar from a fox trap set by Hawkfrost, she grows to trust Brambleclaw again because of his loyalty, becoming mates shortly after.
- "Kill them, then. You won't hurt me that way. If you really want to hurt me, you'll have to find a better way than that. They are not my kits."
- —Squirrelflight to Ashfur Long Shadows, pages 274-276
- "Brambleclaw, I'm sorry. You have to understand I never intended to hurt you. I loved you, and was proud to raise these kits with you. You were a wonderful father. [...] Don't throw away everything just because you are angry with me!"
- —Squirrelflight to Brambleclaw The Last Hope, page 201
- "You know as well as I do, that medicine-cat apprentice has to be just the right cat."
- —Squirrelflight to Jayfeather The Apprentice's Quest, page 69
- "I'll leave, but there's something you must know. My mate would never behave like this. You must know in your hearts that this cat, has none of the courage, honor, and honesty of the real Bramblestar. This Bramblestar is an imposter."
- —Squirrelflight about Bramblestar's imposter, as she's being exiled The Silent Thaw, page 285
- "Being a good deputy doesn't mean blindly following orders. It means standing up for what I believe, and this time, I believe I'm right."
- —Squirrelflight's arguing with Bramblestar Squirrelflight's Hope, page 145
- In Bramblestar's Storm, she and Bramblestar guide the Clan through the Great Storm. She gently reminds Bramblestar of his leadership duties, and he wonders how lost he'd be without her. Squirrelflight isn't too impressed when Bramblestar brings a few kittypets to ThunderClan to seek shelter from the flood and notices how close he and Jessy are getting. She supports Bramblestar's decision to help ShadowClan and Tawnypelt with badgers, noting how she would do anything for her sister. One of the kittypets, Frankie, becomes her apprentice. Meanwhile, Jessy helps Bramblestar realize the bond he and Squirrelflight share. In the manga, she happily reveals to Bramblestar that she is expecting his kits.
- In Squirrelflight's Hope, hoping to settle border disputes between the Clans, Squirrelflight and Leafstar travel outside Clan borders to find a suitable home for SkyClan. They discover the Sisters, a strange yet friendly group of she-cats, who plan to leave their territory once Moonlight's kits were weaned. Squirrelflight's strong desire to have another litter and her sense of justice for the Sisters drives a wedge between her and Bramblestar, who is trying to stabilize the fragile peace. She and Bramblestar find a brief serenity while nurturing for Sparkpelt's two kits after Larksong and Flickerkit pass away.
- When the other Clans decide to forcefully drive out the Sisters, Squirrelflight and Leafpool have a terrible dream forewarning them about Moonlight's kits. They help Moonlight deliver her kits, but the outnumbered Sisters fiercely defend their camp from the Clan warriors. While saving Moonlight's kits during a cave in, Squirrelflight and Leafpool are fatally injured and walk in StarClan. Determined to return to Bramblestar and Sparkpelt, Squirrelflight chooses to return to ThunderClan. She and Bramblestar reconcile, and the Clan mourns for Leafpool.
- In Leafpool's Wish, Squirrelflight chooses Brambleclaw as a mate and is unaware of his secret meetings in the Dark Forest with Tigerstar and Hawkfrost. When Leafpool finds out that she is expecting kits, she asks Squirrelflight to raise them. Squirrelflight at first refuses to betray her mate and lie to her Clan. Yellowfang tries to encourage her by revealing Squirrelflight will never have kits of her own, and this would be her only chance to be a mother. Squirrelflight still has doubts, but journeys with Leafpool away from Clan territory so she can give birth. A visit from Feathertail finally convinces Squirrelflight to raise them with Brambleclaw, and she, Leafpool, and the kits return to ThunderClan.
- Squirrelflight is a dark ginger she-cat with forest-green eyes. She has one white paw, short legs, a torn ear tip, glossy fur, and a long, squirrel-like, bushy tail.
Please do not edit this gallery
Please do not edit this gallery
Please do not edit this gallery
|Squirrelflight's warrior ceremony|
|Squirrelflight's deputy ceremony|
- Squirrelflight's profile on the Warriors official website
- Warrior of the Week #6 - Squirrelflight on the Warriors official website (Warrior of the Week #6)
- A Legacy of Fire on the Warriors official website (Mentioned only)
- Warriors Super Editions: A World Without Limits on the Warriors official website (Mentioned only)
- A Different Path on the Warriors official website (Mentioned only)
- Pick a Plush: Round Two on the Warriors official website (Poll option)
- Honoring the Mother Cats on the Warriors official website (Mentioned only)
- Blood Isn't Everything on the Warriors official website (Mentioned only)
- The Law That Never Was on the Warriors official website (Indirect mention only)
- Squirrelflight's Hope Sample on the Warriors official website
- Character Spotlight - Squirrelflight on the Warriors official website
- Apprentices: A Fresh Perspective on the Warriors official website (Indirect mention only)
- Squirrelflight's Hope on the Warriors official website (Indirect mention only)
- The Warrior Code: An Outdated Relic? on the Warriors official website (Mentioned only)
- Evil Lives Forever on the Warriors official website (Mentioned only)
- Send Us Your Art: A Salute to StarClan on the Warriors official website (Mentioned only)
- The Silent Thaw on the Warriors official website (Indirect mention only)
- Stand Together or Fall Divided on the Warriors official website (Indirect mention only)
- Morningstar's Folly - When Peace Isn't the Answer on the Warriors official website (Indirect mention only)
- A Common Bond on the Warriors official website (Mentioned only)
- Unexpected Storylines on the Warriors official website (Indirect mention only)
- Kin of Your Kin on the Warriors official website (Indirect mention only)
- Reading the Omens on the Warriors official website (Indirect mention only)
- Beyond Our Borders on the Warriors official website (Indirect mention only)
- ↑ Squirrelflight spent time in StarClan while her body healed, and returned to ThunderClan afterwards.
- ↑ Squirrelflight was de facto leader while Bramblestar was dead for over a night.
- ↑ Bramblestar's impostor possessed Squirrelflight's mate, Bramblestar's body. Prior to realizing the deception, she acted affectionately as a mate to the imposter, and both of them concurred being in a relationship. After her realizing he was an imposter, and being exiled from ThunderClan, this relationship terminated.
Notes and references
- ↑ Revealed in The Silent Thaw, page 310
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 Revealed in Midnight, allegiances
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 Revealed in Lost Stars, chapter 22
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Revealed in Squirrelflight's Hope, page 374
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Revealed in The Silent Thaw, page 301
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page 509
- ↑ Revealed in Starlight, page 27
- ↑ Revealed in Outcast, page 136
- ↑ Revealed in The Sight, allegiances
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Revealed in The Last Hope, page 328
- ↑ Revealed in The Silent Thaw, page 60; 282
- ↑ Revealed in Outcast, page 35
- ↑ Revealed in The Fourth Apprentice, page 7
- ↑ Revealed in Bramblestar's Storm, page 454
- ↑ Revealed in Lost Stars, page 252
- ↑ Revealed in The Silent Thaw, page 312
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 Revealed in Midnight, page 87
- ↑ Revealed in Starlight, page 82
- ↑ Revealed in Starlight, page 80
- ↑ Revealed in Sunset, page 13
- ↑ Revealed in Dawn, page 51
- ↑ Revealed in The Sight, page 8
|Medicine cats||Puddleshine • Shadowsight|
|Warriors||Snowbird • Tawnypelt • Scorchfur • Berryheart • Sparrowtail • Grassheart • Stonewing • Yarrowleaf • Strikestone • Slatefur • Whorlpelt • Snaketooth • Flowerstem • Cinnamontail • Blazefire • Conefoot • Frondwhisker • Gullswoop • Pouncestep • Lightleap • Spireclaw • Hollowspring • Sunbeam • Flaxfoot • Hopwhisker • Squirrelflight|