|"ThunderClan has kits in the nursery, and the warriors' den is full. We face troubles, it is true. RiverClan pushes at our borders, and kittypets threaten our prey. But the Clan is well fed, and the forest is rich in prey. I vow to make ThunderClan as powerful as the great Clans of old. Today's ThunderClan will be remembered alongside TigerClan and LionClan. Our warriors are courageous and loyal and skilled in battle. There is no reason to feel besieged by our enemies. We have defeated them before and we will do so again. Let me carry you forward in a new era in which ThunderClan is so respected and feared that no cat will dare set a paw on our lands."|
|— Sunstar as a new leader in Bluestar's Prophecy, pages 315-316|
Sunstar was a ThunderClan leader in the forest territories, born as Sunkit to Larksong and Flamenose along with his brother, Featherkit. Sunfall became deputy under Pinestar, who he succeeded after Pinestar abandoned the Clan to become a kittypet. As leader, Sunstar dealt with repeated territory threats by RiverClan over the ownership of Sunningrocks. After his death, leadership of ThunderClan was taken over by Bluestar, Sunstar's former apprentice. He ascended to StarClan and gave Bluestar a life for courage.
Looking for a longer overview? Find one here!
- "Fighting for our Clan is part of the warrior code. Whatever doubts we have, we must not doubt the warrior code. The forest and our Clanmates may change around us, but the warrior code remains the same."
- ―Sunfall to Bluepaw Bluestar's Prophecy, page 149
- "The fact that Sunkit is going to grow up to be our leader makes him special."
- ―Goosefeather about Sunkit Goosefeather's Curse, page Chapter 8
- In Redtail's Debt, Sunstar accepts Tigerclaw's idea of intimidating RiverClan when they begin marking Sunningrocks, but hopes to avoid a fight. Later, he is tricked by Tigerclaw into launching an attack on WindClan.
Please do not edit this gallery
Please do not edit this gallery
= Gender Unknown
- Pinestar's Choice
- Goosefeather's Curse
- Tallstar's Revenge
- Yellowfang's Secret (Allegiance only)
- Crookedstar's Promise
- Bluestar's Prophecy †
- Spottedleaf's Heart
- Redtail's Debt
- The Last Hope
- Secrets of the Clans (First appearance; mentioned only) (Retconned)
- Code of the Clans
- Battles of the Clans
- The Ultimate Guide (Mentioned only)
- Sunstar was only given eight lives when he became leader because Pinestar kept his ninth one.
- Kate has hinted that he may have had feelings for Moonflower.
- The identities of his parents were initially revealed on Vicky's Facebook page.
- He was mistakenly called the ShadowClan deputy.
- He was mistakenly described as a golden tabby.
The following information is from sources considered non-canon or retconned.
- In Secrets of the Clans, a 2007 field guide, Sunstar's is listed in the notable ThunderClan leaders section. Sunstar fought against RiverClan to keep Sunningrocks part of ThunderClan territory. His brother, Featherwhisker, served as his medicine cat, who mentored the later ThunderClan medicine cat after him, Spottedleaf. Sunstar had two known apprentices, Bluestar, then Bluepaw, would go on to serve as his deputy and then leader after him. His other known apprentice was Lionheart. He was described as fair minded, even tempered, and wise.
- Sunstar is also described with yellow tabby stripes and green eyes.
- Crookedpaw: "Where are the deputies?"
- Sunfall: "The ThunderClan deputy is right in front of you, and he'll pin back your whiskers if you don't do as you're told and be quiet!"
- Bluestar's Prophecy, page 161
- "We will make them understand that ThunderClan needs a leader. Featherwhisker is right: StarClan will not abandon us."
- ―Sunfall to all of ThunderClan Bluestar's Prophecy, page 312
- "You've had much grief for one cat. But life goes on. Whitekit will become an apprentice and then a warrior, and you can choose to help him with that or to let him work it out for himself. I have high hopes for you, Bluefur. You were my apprentice once, and I will always feel like your mentor. I want you to strive to become the best warrior you can be, because I believe one day ThunderClan will have need of your gifts."
- ―Sunstar to Bluefur Bluestar's Prophecy, page 369
- "If you prefer a battle, then we'll fight, but are the rocks worth it? You have the river to fish in. Your paws are too big to reach far into the cracks of Sunningrocks; your pelts are too clearly marked to stalk prey there. It is no use for RiverClan's ways of hunting."
- ―Sunstar to several RiverClan cats Crookedstar's Promise, page 410
- Sunstar: "I have just three lives left, not four."
- Bluefur: "How did you lose the extra one?"
- Bluestar's Prophecy, page 496
- (Mentioned only)
- (Indirect mention only)
- (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 501
- Revealed in Crookedstar's Promise, allegiances
- Revealed in Goosefeather's Curse, chapter 8
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 497
- Revealed in Crookedstar's Promise, page 163
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 314
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 142
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 504
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 28
- Revealed in Secrets of the Clans, page 23
- Revealed in Redtail's Debt, chapter 10
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, allegiances
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 302
- Revealed in Pinestar's Choice, chapter 4
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 496
- Revealed on Kate's Twitter
- Revealed on Vicky's Facebook
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 175
- Revealed in Tallstar's Revenge, page 128
- Revealed in Secrets of the Clans, page 25