|"If you don't feel any fear, you will never be able to feel brave. Courage is nothing without the knowledge of what you face. Give me time to teach you how to fight and defend yourself, and use the size and weight of your enemy against him. Then you'll find courage deep inside."|
|— Swiftbreeze to Lionpaw in Battles of the Clans, page 136|
Swiftbreeze was a ThunderClan warrior under the leaderships of Pinestar and Sunstar in the forest territories. She was born to Flashnose, and as an apprentice, Swiftpaw was mentored by Windflight. She earned her warrior name, Swiftbreeze, and became mates with Adderfang. They had two litters of kits consisting of Patchkit, Leopardkit, Redkit, Spottedkit, and Willowkit, and she additionally mentored Lionheart. She passed away sometime after Bluestar became leader, and ascended to StarClan. Swiftbreeze later fought in the Great Battle.
- 1 History
- 1.1 In the Omen of the Stars arc
- 1.2 In the Super Editions
- 1.3 In the Novellas
- 1.4 In the Field Guides
- 2 Character pixels
- 3 Official art
- 4 Ceremonies
- 5 Kin
- 6 Appearances
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Quotes
- 9 External links
- 10 Notes and references
In the Omen of the Stars arc
- When Jayfeather unites StarClan, Swiftbreeze is seen joining him.
In the Super Editions
- Swiftbreeze, Smallear, Speckletail, and Adderfang are sent on a patrol to meet up with Mudfur's patrol in order to attempt to retake Sunningrocks. She is seen hopping out of the way of the fighting Mudfur and Adderfang, and helps steer her wounded Clanmate toward the trees when Adderfang surrenders.
- "A smart warrior only starts battles he might win!"
- ―Swiftbreeze to Lionpaw Bluestar's Prophecy, page 251
- When Bluekit and Snowkit talk to the elders, Featherwhisker says that he'll ask Swiftbreeze if he can take Patchkit and Leopardkit herb-gathering. Later, Swiftbreeze is seen waking up when Moonflower takes Snowkit back to the nursery after eating poppy seeds. She asks what's wrong, then mentions that it's a shame Featherwhisker wasn't there.
- Swiftbreeze is part of the patrol to raid WindClan, but she doesn't fight because she is stationed outside of the WindClan camp to help injured cats and to stay with Bluepaw and Snowpaw. During the attack, she stops Bluepaw from entering the battle, as she is not supposed to fight. After Moonflower's body is brought into the camp, she turns on Goosefeather, accusing him of making up the prophecy that sent the patrol to WindClan, and almost claws him, but is stopped by Adderfang.
- Swiftbreeze is also the mother of Spottedkit, Redkit, and Willowkit in a later litter. Before having the kits, she mentored Lionheart. Later, when Bluestar reminisces about the past, she mentions that Swiftbreeze had passed away, along with Stormtail, Thrushpelt, and Poppydawn.
In the Novellas
- Swiftbreeze participates in the ThunderClan attack on WindClan's camp. When her daughter, Leopardpaw, is badly injured, she drags the young apprentice out of the battle, to safety. After the fight ends and Moonflower dies, Swiftbreeze pulls Bluepaw, who is grieving, gently away from her mother's body. The tabby she-cat is furious with Goosefeather for indirectly causing Moonflower's death by ordering the attack.
- Moons later, when Leopardfoot's kits start to come, Swiftbreeze gasps and says that they're an entire half-moon early. Featherwhisker asks Pinestar to go sit with his mate in the nursery, but the reddish-brown tom declines. Angrily, Swiftbreeze glares at the Clan leader, then huffs that she'll go sit with Leopardfoot instead and pushes her way into the nursery. Pinestar feels that Leopardfoot will be much better off with her mother there than him.
- As the kits sneak around Cloudberry's den, the medicine cat calls out, thinking it is Swiftpaw. Later, Windflight is looking for his apprentice as he wants to do battle training with Harepounce and Adderpaw. Cloudberry says she assumed that she left on patrol with him since she hasn't seen her since she left. Windflight explains she didn't join and he thought Cloudberry ordered Swiftpaw to get herbs then come right back. Flashnose, Swiftpaw's mother, trots over and asks about her daughter. Windflight reassures that everything is alright and explains that Swiftpaw is taking longer than they thought she would. Windflight says that Swiftpaw is almost a warrior and can take care of herself.
- Flashnose ignores the reassurance, stressing about Swiftpaw running into a fox. She asks a patrol if they've seen her daughter, but they haven't. Daisytoe whisks her kits into the nursery to keep them out of the way of the search and Moonkit is determined to help find Swiftpaw. Goosekit talks with a black-and-white apprentice, asking why he isn't out searching for Swiftpaw. The apprentice calls to a brown warrior, and he claims Swiftpaw is below Sunningrocks in the reeds. Goosekit tells the warriors this, and a patrol is sent out to the location.
- Doestar's face darkens when she returns and hears about Swiftpaw, promising Flashnose that she'll find her daughter. That didn't wait long as Swiftpaw stumbles into camp covered in slime. Flashnose flings herself onto the apprentice, and Larksong reports that Swiftpaw was stuck in the reeds. She and Mumblefoot proceed to help her out. Swiftpaw reveals she was hunting a frog when she got tangled into the reeds and hurt her leg. She admits she thought she would be swallowed by the river. Flashnose reassures she is safe now, and thanks her rescuers. Larksong tells her she should thank Goosekit as he revealed Swiftpaw's location. Flashnose then starts cleaning Swiftpaw of the green slime on her body.
- The Clan is unsure of Goosekit's claim of how he knew her location, but Cloudberry settles them down by saying Swiftpaw is back and that's all that matters. She orders Daisytoe to help her sister clean Swiftpaw so she can check her leg. Cloudberry asks Goosekit to describe the cat that told him where Goosekit was. Goosekit is frustrated, and thinks why it matters who told him as long as Swiftpaw is safe. Moons later, Swiftpaw has her warrior ceremony alongside Stormtail and Adderfang. She is renamed Swiftbreeze, and Doestar mentions that StarClan honors her courage and willingness to learn. The new warrior self-consciously dips her head to Doestar as the Clan cheers her new name.
- Moons later, the Clan suffers a harsh leaf-bare with intense starvation. Swiftbreeze nearly trips over the deceased body of Nettlebreeze, and Goosefeather notes her clouded vacant eyes and the scrap of bark on her whiskers. He remembers that warriors have chewed twigs to fill their bellies. Swiftbreeze rasps that Nettlebreeze cannot feel anything, sounding older than stones. Goosefeather points out he still deserves respect.
- Swiftbreeze is a queen caring for her second litter of kits, consisting of Spottedkit, Redkit, and Willowkit. When Spottedkit and Redkit get into a dispute over the game that they are playing, Swiftbreeze comes over to ask what's going on. The tortoiseshell she-kit explains that her brother thinks that she is too bossy, so Swiftbreeze suggests that she stop telling cats what to do. Spottedkit explains that she was playing the Clan leader in the game, and thinks that this means she has to look after every cat. Swiftbreeze, however, points out that it really doesn't work this way; the deputy and the medicine cat have important responsibilities too.
- Spottedkit curls up against her mother, and murmurs that when she becomes Clan leader, she'll appoint Whitepaw her deputy, since he is kind and tells Tigerpaw to stop showing off when Thistleclaw teaches his apprentice a new battle move. Swiftbreeze seems to disapprove of Thistleclaw's teaching methods, thinking that it's too early in Tigerpaw's apprenticeship for him to be learning all the fighting techniques. She adds that she'll ask Leopardfoot, Tigerpaw's mother, to talk to the gray-and-white warrior about the training. Spottedkit then comments that Tigerpaw better watch out, because she is going to be the best warrior ever. Swiftbreeze, purring, replies that she doesn't doubt her daughter's words, but that she'll have to learn how to play nicely with her siblings first. Spottedkit then hears the hunting patrol returning, and races away from her mother to see what's going on.
- After Spottedpaw injures herself falling from a tree, Swiftbreeze rushes over to where Adderfang and Featherwhisker are carrying her, asking what happened. The tabby queen then helps the two toms carry her daughter into the medicine den. Swiftbreeze remains with Spottedpaw once they reach the den, sniffing over the young she-cat. Three days later, when Spottedpaw has healed a little, she walks back into the clearing for the first time. Swiftbreeze is concerned, asking her daughter if she'd checked with Featherwhisker before leaving her nest. The tortoiseshell replies that the medicine cat is out gathering herbs, but that she's fine walking around.
- Later, when Spottedpaw looks at the nursery, which isn't currently being used, she thinks it looks a little overgrown and notes that when a new queen moved in, Swiftbreeze and Fuzzypelt would fix up the den and weave the branches back into place again.
- Swiftbreeze nuzzles Redtail and Willowpelt after their warrior ceremonies, proud of both of her kits.
In the Field Guides
- "You shouldn't have run away. You should have trusted your Clanmates to protect you - do you really think I'd let any cat hurt you? I'd be a pretty useless mentor if I sent my apprentice into battle before I taught him how to take care of himself!"
- ―Swiftbreeze to Lionpaw Battles of the Clans, page 136
- Swiftbreeze and Bluepaw pick up his scent near the cave, but at first Lionpaw thinks they have been sent to punish him. Even so, he reveals himself, not wanting to be any more of a coward. Lionpaw is ashamed of himself, but Swiftbreeze and Bluepaw convince him that it's okay to be afraid, and that even the strongest warriors get afraid sometimes. She tells him she wouldn't let anybody harm him, and that she wouldn't be a very successful mentor if she did. Then they return to camp, and promise not to speak of it.
Please do not edit this gallery
Please do not edit this gallery
|Swiftbreeze's warrior ceremony|
- Leopardfoot: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Spottedleaf: Deceased, no residence
- Willowpelt: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Longtail: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Graystripe: Living (As of Graystripe's Vow)
- Rainwhisker: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Sootfur: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Tigerstar: Deceased, no residence
- Mistkit: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Nightkit: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Sorreltail: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Stormfur: Living (As of Graystripe's Vow)
- Bumblestripe: Living (As of Darkness Within)
- Bramblestar: Deceased, verified ghost
- Hawkfrost: Deceased, no residence
- Tadpole: Deceased, residence unknown
- Molepaw: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Feathertail: Deceased, verified Tribe of Endless Hunting and StarClan member
- Blossomfall: Living (As of Darkness Within)
- Briarlight: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Tawnypelt: Living (As of Darkness Within)
- Mothwing: Living (As of Darkness Within)
- Cinderheart: Living (As of Darkness Within)
- Honeyfern: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Poppyfrost: Living (As of Darkness Within)
- Seedpaw: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Lilyheart: Living (As of Darkness Within)
- Pine That Clings to Rock: Living (As of Graystripe's Vow)
- Feather of Flying Hawk: Living (As of Graystripe's Vow)
- Tigerstar: Living (As of Darkness Within)
- Flametail: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Molewhisker: Living (As of Darkness Within)
- Fernsong: Living (As of Darkness Within)
- Larksong: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Alderheart: Living (As of Darkness Within)
- Juniperkit: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Stemleaf: Deceased, verified ghost
- Shellfur: Living (As of Darkness Within)
- Snaptooth: Living (As of Graystripe's Vow)
- Lark That Sings at Dawn: Living (As of Graystripe's Vow)
- Breeze That Rustles the Leaves: Living (As of Graystripe's Vow)
- Dawnpelt: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Cherryfall: Living (As of Darkness Within)
- Hollytuft: Living (As of Darkness Within)
- Sorrelstripe: Living (As of Darkness Within)
- Leafshade: Living (As of Darkness Within)
- Honeyfur: Living (As of Darkness Within)
- Sparkpelt: Living (As of Darkness Within)
- Dandelionkit: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Eaglewing: Living (As of Darkness Within)
- Plumstone: Living (As of Darkness Within)
- Spotfur: Living (As of Darkness Within)
- Flywhisker: Living (As of Graystripe's Vow)
- Shadowsight: Living (As of Darkness Within)
- Juniperclaw: Deceased, residence unknown
- Strikestone: Deceased, verified ghost
- Flipclaw: Living (As of Graystripe's Vow)
- Baypaw: Living (As of Darkness Within)
- Lightleap: Living (As of Darkness Within)
- Pouncestep: Living (As of Darkness Within)
- Sleekwhisker: Living (As of River of Fire)
- Thriftear: Living (As of Darkness Within)
- Bristlefrost: Living (As of Darkness Within)
- Myrtlepaw: Living (As of Darkness Within)
- Goosefeather: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Moonflower: Deceased, verified StarClan member
= Gender Unknown
- Pinestar's Choice
- Goosefeather's Curse
- Crookedstar's Promise
- Bluestar's Prophecy (First appearance)
- Spottedleaf's Heart
- Redtail's Debt
- The Last Hope
- Battles of the Clans
- Swiftbreeze could possibly have SkyClan blood since her daughter Spottedleaf is a SkyClan descendant.
- Swiftbreeze was mistakenly called by her apprentice name shortly after her warrior ceremony.
The following information is from sources considered non-canon or retconned.
- In Secrets of the Clans, a 2007 field guide, Sunstar was Lionpaw's mentor instead of Swiftbreeze.
- "Oh, Swiftbreeze, we all know that no kit can compete with your two."
- ―Poppydawn to Swiftbreeze Bluestar's Prophecy, page 8
- "In a battle, planning is the most important weapon you have."
- ―Swiftbreeze to Lionpaw Bluestar's Prophecy, page 178
- (Indirect mention only)
Notes and references
- Revealed in The Last Hope, page 208
- Revealed in Crookedstar's Promise, allegiances
- Revealed in Goosefeather's Curse, chapter 3
- Revealed in Goosefeather's Curse, allegiances
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 48
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, allegiances
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 176
- Revealed in Spottedleaf's Heart, chapter 1
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 32
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 8
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 362
- Revealed on the
- Revealed in Graystripe's Vow, page 44
- Revealed in Rising Storm, page 120
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 266
- Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page 100
- Revealed in Forest of Secrets, page 223
- Revealed in Eclipse, page 158
- Revealed in Rising Storm, pages 19-20
- Revealed in Return to the Clans, pages 2-3
- Revealed in Sunset, page 27
- Revealed in The Forgotten Warrior, page 146
- Revealed in Sign of the Moon, page 2
- Revealed in Tawnypelt's Clan, chapter 6
- Revealed in Dark River, pages 20-21
- Revealed in The Fourth Apprentice, page 299
- Revealed in Bramblestar's Storm, page 478
- Revealed in The Apprentice's Quest, allegiances
- Revealed in The Apprentice's Quest, page prologue
- Revealed in The Apprentice's Quest, page 9
- Revealed in Shattered Sky, page 47
- Revealed in The Raging Storm, page 11
- Revealed in Tigerheart's Shadow, page 187
- Revealed in Shattered Sky, pages 114-115
- Revealed in Thunder and Shadow, pages 347-348
- Revealed in River of Fire, page 203
- Revealed in Lost Stars, allegiances
- Revealed in Tigerheart's Shadow, pages 185-186
- Revealed in Spottedleaf's Honest Answer
- Revealed in Goosefeather's Curse, chapter 4
- Revealed in Secrets of the Clans, page 23