|"Climb! Climb! You can do it! Hawk, get up onto the sill! Moth, keep going! You can make it, I know you can!"|
|— Tadpole encouraging Hawk and Moth in Return to the Clans, page 48|
In the Novellas
- Mothwing dreams about the time she, Hawk, and Tadpole tried to find Ken, Sasha’s former owner, to try and cheer her up. Tadpole had cheerfully led his littermates into Twolegplace to look for the Twoleg. Moth had spotted a tree that looked like the one Sasha had told them about and pointed it out, and Tadpole had congratulated her on her observation. The three kits had peered over the fence the tree was hanging over and seen a Twoleg kit running around in the grass. Moth had asked if Ken had kits, but Tadpole had doubtfully mewed that Ken was an elder. A sudden rapping noise had caused the kits to look up and see a female Twoleg glaring at them through a square of clearstone. Tadpole had yowled that they should get out of there, and the kits had descended from the fence and continued to search the area.
- As the kits were searching, a Twoleg speeding past on the back of a skinny two-pawed monster had startled Moth, causing her to flee with her brothers behind her. Hawk had asked how they would get home now, and Tadpole had replied that they’ll just run in a straight line back to the nest that wasn’t Ken’s place and go from there. Moth had mewed that Sasha would be mad, but Tadpole had reassured her that they’re doing something nice for her, so she wouldn’t be. Just then, a large gray cat had asked the kits what they were doing there, and Tadpole had stepped in front of his littermates protectively. More cats had emerged from the shadows, and Tadpole had begun to get rattled. Moth had yowled to run and fled, her brothers following.
- The kits had stopped at the base of a tree, and Tadpole had decided that they should hide for a while. The black kit had then noticed an entrance to a nearby abandoned Twoleg nest and decided that they should hide in it. The kits had entered the nest, and the opening had closed behind them. Tadpole had reassured his littermates that they would find a way to escape later. Big drops of rain had then begun to spatter the walls, and Tadpole had added that they were dry inside the den.
- The kits had explored and Tadpole had attempted to catch a mouse, but it had escaped. Suddenly, a silver tube that ran up the corner of the den had begun to rattle. Tadpole had said that it couldn’t hurt them, but it had then exploded, sending water gushing out onto the floor. The water had begun to rise, and Tadpole had assisted his littermates as they struggled to escape from the nest. The kits had managed to climb up to where they entered the nest, and Sasha had appeared. Moth had turned around to help her littermate up, only to see him be washed away.
- Mothwing wakes, remembering how Sasha had struggled to save Tadpole, but he surfaced once only to sink back down, never to appear again. Moth was unable to believe that Tadpole, the bravest of them, had drowned while she and Hawk had survived. She remembers how Hawk had tried to jump into the water and pull Tadpole out, but Sasha had stopped him, her eyes shining with grief. Moth and Hawk had collapsed in sorrow, and Moth knew that from then on, she and Hawk would have to stick together and survive without Tadpole.
- Later, as Cinderpelt and Mudfur attempt to save Blackclaw from drowning in mud, Mothwing remembers Tadpole’s limp body that Sasha had finally been able to get out of the Twoleg nest when the rain had stopped, and how there had been no way to bring him back. She is amazed when Blackclaw is revived, thinking that he didn’t sink like Tadpole, and the medicine cats were able to save him when nobody else could. Later that day, Mothwing talks to Mudfur about her desire to become a medicine cat, explaining how she had a littermate that drowned when she and Hawkfrost were kits, and how she after what she saw today, she wants to save other cats from dying. When Mudfur tells her about how medicine cats commune with StarClan, Mothwing is excited, thinking about how much she would have given to be able to talk to Tadpole again after he died.
- During the battle against the Dark Forest, Mothwing wonders if all the cats who had died, even kits like Tadpole, had died for a reason.
- Tadpole is the strongest and oldest of Tigerstar and Sasha's litter. His littermates are Hawk and Moth. Tadpole is often seen reassuring his siblings. Once, he promises to protect Moth when she worries about foxes, and he encourages Hawk to try again when he falls off a pile of logs they were climbing. Tadpole sees how sad Sasha is when she tells them stories about her kittypet life, and he devises a plan for him, Hawk, and Moth to travel to the Twolegplace and find Ken, Sasha's former owner, so she'd be happy.
- He leads the way out of the forest and into the Twolegplace, refusing the help of one of Sasha's former friends from when she was a kittypet, Shnuky, when she offers it to them. They take the wrong path, running into some former BloodClan cats who threaten to turn him and his siblings into collars. Tadpole, Hawk, and Moth run for their lives, dodging dogs and other threats, and then take shelter inside the basement of an old, abandoned Twoleg nest, only to become trapped inside. It starts to rain and the kits huddle together in a corner, frightened. When Tadpole catches the scent of mouse, Hawk realizes that one of the pipes was leaking. Suddenly, the pipes burst, and water begins to fill the basement.
- When Hawk spots Sasha through the basement window, Tadpole hurries to help Moth and Hawk out of the flooding basement, but he slips back into the water. Hawk and Moth manage to get outside and beg Sasha to help him. Sasha goes to the window, yelling for him to grab her paw. Tadpole sees her, but is unable to reach her paw. Soon, Tadpole goes under the surface, and drowns. Hawk and Moth are horrified at his death, and Sasha is numb with grief.
- Later, Sasha tells Russetfur, a ShadowClan warrior, that Tadpole had died. When Sasha speaks to Tigerstar in a dream, she asks him if Tadpole's spirit is with his. Tigerstar tells her that he isn't, but that he is safe. Before Sasha can ask what he meant, Tigerstar slinks out of her dream.
In the Field Guides
- Tadpole is briefly mentioned on the page of his brother, Hawkfrost. He, his brother, and his sister, Mothwing, are born to a loner named Sasha. Their father is Tigerstar, the leader of ShadowClan, and they are the half-siblings of Brambleclaw and Tawnypelt. Giving birth to her kits alone in the forest, Sasha tried as hard as she could to raise these kits, eventually taking them to various abandoned Twoleg dens to raise them. A flood strikes, however, and this is said to be what claims the life of Tadpole, and after this heartbreaking disaster, Sasha takes her two remaining children to RiverClan, in hopes they'll be raised in a safe and well-off environment.
In the Stand-Alone Manga
- After Feathertail rescues Hawk from drowning, Sasha thanks Feathertail and explains how Hawk and Moth witnessed their brother, Tadpole, drowning. She and her family have been wandering ever since.
Please do not edit this gallery
- Swiftbreeze: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Sweetbriar: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Dawnpelt: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Sparkpelt: Living (As of River)
- Dandelionkit: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Tigerstar: Living (As of River)
- Flametail: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Alderheart: Living (As of River)
- Juniperkit: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Sleekwhisker: Living (As of River of Fire)
- Lightleap: Living (As of River)
- Pouncestep: Living (As of River)
- Finchlight: Living (As of River)
- Rowankit: Living (As of River)
- Juniperclaw: Deceased, verified the Place of No Stars member
- Strikestone: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Shadowsight: Living (As of River)
- Nightheart: Living (As of River)
- Flickerkit: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Birchkit: Living (As of River)
- Longtail: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Swiftpaw: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Lynxkit: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Darkstripe: Deceased, no residence
- Graystripe: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Rainwhisker: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Sootfur: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Sorreltail: Deceased, verified StarClan member
|Cloudstar ♂||Birdflight ♀|
|Spottedpelt ♀||Gorseclaw ♂|
|Unknown||Flashnose ♀||See more|
|Oakstar ♂||Sweetbriar ♀||Fallowsong ♀||See more||Swiftbreeze ♀||Adderfang ♂|
|Frecklewish ♀||Birchface ♂||Pinestar ♂||Leopardfoot ♀||Redtail ♂||Patchpelt ♂||Spottedleaf ♀||Willowpelt ♀|
|Nightkit ♀||Sasha ♀||Tigerstar ♂||Goldenflower ♀||Mistkit ♀||Longtail ♂||Graystripe ♂||Darkstripe ♂||Rainwhisker ♂||Sorreltail ♀||Sootfur ♂|
|Tadpole ♂||Mothwing ♀||Hawkfrost ♂||Bramblestar ♂||Tawnypelt ♀||Briarlight ♀||Bumblestripe ♂||Feathertail ♀||Stormfur ♂||Blossomfall ♀||Molepaw ♂||Poppyfrost ♀||Honeyfern ♀||Cinderheart ♀||Lilyheart ♀||Seedpaw ♀|
|Alderheart ♂||Sparkpelt ♀||Juniperkit ♂||Dandelionkit ♀||Dawnpelt ♀||Flametail ♂||Tigerstar ♂||See more||See more||See more||See more||See more|
|Finchlight ♀||Nightheart ♂||Juniperclaw ♂||Sleekwhisker ♀||Strikestone ♂||Pouncestep ♀||Shadowsight ♂||Lightleap ♀||Rowankit ♀||Birchkit ♂|
= Gender Unknown
- Return to the Clans † (First appearance)
- A Shadow in RiverClan (Mentioned only)
- Mothwing's Secret † (Flashback only)
- The Ultimate Guide (Mentioned only)
- Vicky has said that Tadpole did not go to StarClan, however there has been no confirmation as to where he did go.
The following information is from sources considered non-canon or retconned.
- On Vicky's Facebook, Tadpole has yellow eyes.
- (Mentioned only)
- (Mentioned only)
- (Warrior of the Week #68)
Notes and references
- Revealed on Vicky's Facebook (screenshot)
- Revealed in Return to the Clans, page 62, 68
- Revealed in Return to the Clans, page 49
- Revealed in Return to the Clans, page 34
- Revealed in Return to the Clans, page 2
- Revealed in Return to the Clans, page 22
- Revealed in Rising Storm, pages 19-20
- Revealed in Code of the Clans, page 150
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 8
- Revealed in The Rise of Scourge, page 54
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 30
- Revealed in Pinestar's Choice, chapter 1
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 47
- Revealed in Goosefeather's Curse, page Chapter 3
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 266
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 362
- Revealed in Mapleshade's Vengeance, chapter 1
- Revealed on Vicky's Facebook Page
- Revealed in Goosefeather's Curse, chapter 3
- Revealed in Dark River, pages 20-21
- Revealed in The Apprentice's Quest, page 9
- Revealed in The Apprentice's Quest, page 10
- Revealed in Thunder and Shadow, page 348
- Revealed in Tigerheart's Shadow, chapter 18
- Revealed in Lost Stars, allegiances
- Revealed in River, allegiances
- Revealed in Tigerheart's Shadow, page 187
- Revealed in Squirrelflight's Hope, page 253
- Revealed on the screenshot) (
- Revealed on the screenshot) (
- Revealed on the screenshot) (
- Revealed in Graystripe's Vow, page 44
- Revealed in Rising Storm, page 120
- Revealed in Firestar's Quest, pages 496-497
- Revealed in Into the Woods, page 15
- Revealed on Vicky's Facebook