|"That's how Brokenstar made us train. This is a practice, Tigerclaw, not the real thing. Why risk getting injured when we are at peace?"|
|— Tallpoppy when practicing fighting moves with Flintfang in Tigerclaw's Fury, chapter 8|
Tallpoppy is a long-legged light brown tabby she-cat.
Tallpoppy was a ShadowClan warrior under Brokenstar's, Nightstar's, Tigerstar's, and Blackstar's leaderships in the forest and the lake territories. She spent her time staying in the nursery carrying for the kits. She eventually had her own litter, Toadfoot, Applefur, and Marshkit, and the family participated in the Great Journey. Toadfoot and Applefur survived to become warriors, and Tallpoppy retired to the elders' den. She perished in the Great Battle.
In The Prophecies Begin arc
- Tallpoppy is a ShadowClan queen.
In The New Prophecy arc
- After briefly serving as a warrior, Tallpoppy returns to the nursery and has three kits Toadkit, Applekit, and Marshkit. When ShadowClan is fleeing the camp, it is said Tallpoppy has kits that need to be carried. Wanting to save the kits, Squirrelpaw, a ThunderClan apprentice, helps a tortoiseshell queen carry her two kits, thinking it was Tallpoppy. When told about this, Tawnypelt becomes frantic, telling Squirrelpaw that Tallpoppy is a tabby, not a tortoiseshell. Tallpoppy is then thought to be missing. The queen and her kits are found in a clearing, but just as the cats find them a monster cuts down a tree and when the tree falls it almost crushes Onewhisker and one of Tallpoppy's kits, but Firestar races and rescues them just in time, and in doing so, he loses a life when the tree falls on him. After they escape Littlecloud is seen treating her for splinters.
- When the Clans settle in the abandoned nest close to Ravenpaw's barn for a night Tallpoppy remarks that this is a good place to rest. When the traveling cats cross the Thunderpath, one of Tallpoppy's kits wanders back onto the Thunderpath, but the kit is saved by Dawnflower, a RiverClan queen. As the cats get a first glimpse of how big the mountains are, one of her kits asks if they are really going up there. Tallpoppy replies that they are.
- Later when the cats have to jump across a gap in the path on the mountain trail, Tallpoppy says that her kits can't jump that far, and Crowpaw helps them across. In the mountains one of Tallpoppy's kits, Marshkit, gets caught by an eagle, but just as he is being carried into the air Brackenfur rescues the kit.
- On the Great Journey, it is noted by Squirrelpaw that Tallpoppy had shown great strength and courage, and that she remained positive despite the difficulty. She also becomes good friends with the queens from other Clans, particularly Ferncloud of ThunderClan. Marshkit, Toadkit, and Applekit befriend the only surviving kit of Ferncloud's second litter, Birchkit.
- After the Clans settle in their new homes, and begin to separate, Tallpoppy's kits are very unwilling to part with Birchkit, as he is with them. Tallpoppy knows they had to leave each other, though she is seen exchanging a regretful look with Ferncloud, showing that although they were from different Clans, they had formed a close bond.
In the Power of Three arc
- Tallpoppy has retired to the elders' den.
In the Omen of the Stars arc
- Tallpoppy exits the elders' den when Ivypaw is being held prisoner by ShadowClan. She comments that it looks like more snow will be coming. Tallpoppy is later seen grieving for Russetfur at her burial, solemnly saying her wisdom would be missed. Whitewater and Cedarheart, the other fellow elders, make room for her to sit with them.
- During the battle, Lionblaze gestures to Tallpoppy to help him. She runs across the clearing towards Lionblaze, dodging a Dark Forest warrior. Tallpoppy picks up Pinenose's dead kit off the ground and nudges Pinenose ahead of her. She leads Pinenose behind some brambles, and lays her dead kit at her paws so she can mourn for it.
In the Super Editions
- Tallpoppy is mentioned by Blackstar to be one of the the many deceased ShadowClan cats at a Gathering.
In the Novellas
- Tallpoppy, along with Flintfang, are chosen to train with Tigerclaw. She, amused, remarks that they didn't need to be trained, as they had been warriors longer than him. Tigerclaw then reminds her that Runningnose stated that he was in charge, but Tallpoppy replies that she didn't believe he meant it in said way. Tigerclaw then inquires if she thought if Runningnose was busy enough, and looking down at her paws, Tallpoppy remarks that she and Flintfang would show him how ShadowClan cats fought. Tigerclaw then leads the two into a sandy place, and waits for Tallpoppy and Flintfang to demonstrate ShadowClan battle tactics. As Tallpoppy folds gracefully onto the ground, Tigerclaw asks why she rolled over quickly, suggesting that if she was knocked over, she could grab the opponent with her teeth or claws.
- However, Flintfang comments that Tallpoppy would do it if they were in the heat of a battle. Tigerclaw then inquires how such method would help them in battle, telling them to unsheathe their claws, and Tallpoppy, widening her eyes, remarks that it was how Brokenstar made them train, and that it was practice. Tigerclaw orders Flintfang to try the hind leg slice, to give Tallpoppy a threat, and he does so, but retracts his claws before he lashes at Tallpoppy's hind legs. The latter then drops to the ground untouched, and Tigerclaw wishes to demonstrate the move. He waits until Tallpoppy stands, and then rushes for her, aiming for a soft portion of her hind leg. She screeches, flinging herself away from Tigerclaw, and the latter watches Tallpoppy turn her head to lick her wound. He asks her if she would react quicker the next time, and she merely nods, swiping at her torn fur. As the date of the next Gathering approaches, Tallpoppy asks how ShadowClan was to survive without a leader, as no other Clan at a Gathering arrived without one.
In the Tigerstar and Sasha arc
- Tallpoppy is seen when Tigerstar asks her how she and how the kits are doing. She contentedly says that even though there are many kits, they are happy and strong.
In the Field Guides
- At the Gathering, Dapplenose of RiverClan points her out with two other ShadowClan cats, Snaketail and Cedarheart. Dapplenose says not to take any notice if they're sneering at the reader.
- Despite being alive at this time, Tallpoppy is shown at the end of Tigerstar's leader ceremony, along with Cinderfur, Darkflower, and Dawncloud standing close together, and they watch with hopeful, anxious eyes.
- She has been depicted without tabby stripes.
- Despite being alive at the time, she is shown in StarClan during Tigerstar's nine lives ceremony.
The following information is from sources considered non-canon or retconned.
- In Secrets of the Clans, a 2007 field guide, Tallpoppy is listed as Blackstar's apprentice as Tallpaw.
Please do not edit this gallery
Please do not edit this gallery
Please do not edit this gallery
= Gender Unknown
- Fire and Ice (First appearance; allegiance only)
- Forest of Secrets (Allegiance only)
- Rising Storm (Allegiance only)
- Tigerclaw's Fury
- Into the Woods
- A Dangerous Path (Allegiance only)
- The Darkest Hour (Allegiance only)
- Mothwing's Secret (Allegiance only)
- Midnight (Allegiance only)
- Moonrise (Allegiance only)
- Twilight (Allegiance only)
- Sunset (Allegiance only)
- Leafpool's Wish (Allegiance only)
- The Sight (Allegiance only)
- Dark River (Allegiance only)
- Outcast (Allegiance only)
- Eclipse (Allegiance only)
- Long Shadows (Allegiance only)
- Sunrise (Allegiance only)
- Hollyleaf's Story (Allegiance only)
- The Fourth Apprentice (Allegiance only)
- Mistystar's Omen (Allegiance only)
- Fading Echoes (Allegiance only)
- Night Whispers
- Sign of the Moon (Allegiance only)
- The Forgotten Warrior (Allegiance only)
- The Last Hope †
- Bramblestar's Storm (Mentioned only)
- Secrets of the Clans
- Battles of the Clans
- The Ultimate Guide
- "How can we survive without a leader? No other Clan has ever turned up at a Gathering without one!"
- —Tallpoppy about ShadowClan being leaderless Tigerclaw's Fury, page chapter 10
- "We are going home, our new home."
- —Tallpoppy to her kits Dawn, page 227
- "This is a good place to rest, I don't think my kits could take another night out in the open. They nearly froze in last night's rain."
- —Tallpoppy on the journey Dawn, page 248
- "It's all right, little one. You'll be safe soon."
- —Tallpoppy to her son Marshkit Dawn, page 297
- (Indirect mention only)
- (Allegiance only)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Revealed in Fire and Ice, allegiances
- ↑ Revealed in Bramblestar's Storm, page 52
- ↑ Revealed in Midnight, allegiances
- ↑ Revealed in The Sight, allegiances
- ↑ Revealed in Into the Woods, page 66
- ↑ Revealed in The Last Hope, allegiances
- ↑ Revealed in The Ultimate Guide, page 96
- ↑ Revealed in Secrets of the Clans, page 65
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 Revealed in Starlight, page 109