|"I promise you all that I will lead WindClan with the fierce devotion of a father and the pure love of a mother. Nothing matters more to me than making WindClan strong so that future generations may live with dignity and peace. Every cat I have known—Every cat I have loved has taught me the meaning of friendship and the unbending power of the warrior code."|
|— Tallstar to StarClan in Tallstar's Revenge, page 502|
Tallstar was a leader of WindClan in the forest territories. He was born as Tallkit to Palebird and Sandgorse alongside his sister, Finchkit, who died shortly after birth, and was later apprenticed as Tallpaw to the moor-runner, Dawnstripe, much to his father's dismay. After Sandgorse took Sparrow to the unstable tunnels, they collapsed, and Sandgorse died while Sparrow escaped. Tallpaw blamed Sparrow for his father's death, vowing for revenge. After becoming a warrior, Talltail left WindClan to find Sparrow, where he met a kittypet named Jake, and the two formed a strong bond.
Talltail allowed Jake to come with him on his journey, and after Sparrow told him the truth of Sandgorse's death, Talltail went back to WindClan, parting ways with Jake. He was accepted back into WindClan, becoming a mentor to Deadfoot and then deputy, and after Heatherstar's death, he became leader as Tallstar. His Clan was exiled by Brokenstar, but was retrieved by Fireheart and Graystripe. He led his Clan to the lake after Twolegs destroyed the forest, and upon arrival, he became very weak and frail. On his deathbed, Tallstar made Onewhisker his deputy instead of Mudclaw, and ascended to StarClan afterwards.
Looking for a longer overview? Find one here!
- "Spoken like a true warrior. Having traveled with you, I wasn't surprised when Bluestar made you her deputy. There are those who thought such a young cat would never carry off such a great responsibility. I was not among them."
- ―Tallstar to Fireheart Rising Storm, page 311
- "Before I go to StarClan, there is something I must do. Firestar, Onewhisker, listen. Mudclaw is a brave warrior. but he is not the right cat to lead WindClan. In these last moons we have learned that the future of our Clans lies in friendship. I want no rivalry between WindClan and ThunderClan after I am gone. We must have no enemies. But this will not happen if Mudclaw rules the Clan. I can still choose the cat who will lead WindClan after me. From this moment Mudclaw is no longer deputy of WindClan."
- ―Tallstar appointing a new deputy before his death Starlight, pages 118-119
- Tallstar grows frailer as the moons pass. His deputy, Deadfoot passes on sometime, and Mudclaw is chosen to succeed him. He asks Leopardstar for permission for his cats to cross into RiverClan territory to drink water, though Leopardstar begrudgingly agrees until Hawkfrost accuses them of stealing prey. As Twolegs continue to destroy their territory, Tallstar's Clan begins to starve. When Crowpaw and the others return from journey to find Midnight with news of the Clans exodus, Tallstar wishes to partner with ThunderClan for the impending journey. Firestar refuses to leave until all the Clans agree to leave, and they begin their Great Journey.
- Tallstar continues to weaken as the journey progresses. Onewhisker assists his leader throughout the journey while Mudclaw takes over much of the leadership duties. When the Clans finally arrive at the lake, Tallstar is close to joining StarClan. Surrounded by Firestar, Brambleclaw, and Onewhisker, Tallstar thanks Firestar for their enduring friendship. Inspired by their bond, Tallstar appoints Onewhisker as deputy. However, Tallstar's unorthodox appointment causes a rift within the Clan and Mudclaw rebels against Onewhisker's leadership. He is later seen in StarClan giving Cinderpelt a message of her foreseen death alongside Bluestar.
- "I learned a lot. Friendship and kinship matter more than adventure. Boundaries only exist in our minds. A heart can travel to the horizon without moving a paw step. And I made the best friend any cat ever had."
- ―Talltail explaining to Heatherstar what he had learned Tallstar's Revenge, page 444
- As Tallpaw grows up and becomes a warrior, Talltail, his desire of vengeance for Sparrow grows, who he believes killed his father. Feeling distant from WindClan, Talltail leaves to find Sparrow. He meets a kittypet named Jake who joins him on his journey. When the pair finds the rogues, Jake begs Talltail not to kill Sparrow, and how it will not bring any justice. When Talltail finally confronts Sparrow, the brown tom reveals Sandgorse saved his life in the tunnels. Jake is relieved when he doesn't kill Sparrow, and the two journey back. Talltail and Jake bid an emotional farewell, knowing their true paths were in their respective homes, and Talltail returns to WindClan. He later becomes Heatherstar's deputy and succeeds her as leader. In the manga, as Tallstar journeys to StarClan, he is reunited with Jake.
Stand-Alone Graphic Novels
- "We have all traveled together an overcome so much. There should be peace between the Clans. Firestar and ThunderClan have always been friends to WindClan. I would like to spend the end of my final life thinking the other Clans can become friends as well."
- ―Tallstar to Mudclaw Winds of Change, page 45
- Tallstar and his Clanmates have arrived at their new home, but Tallstar's condition is deteriorating. As Mudclaw prepares to become WindClan's leader, he firmly believes WindClan must establish themselves to be respected by the other Clans, but Tallstar instead advocates for friendship, especially with ThunderClan and Firestar. Before his death, Tallstar names Onewhisker his deputy, much to Mudclaw's horror. Hawkfrost feeds into Mudclaw's doubts about Onewhisker's leadership and his distrust of Firestar to form a coup to overthrow Onewhisker. After his death, Tallstar greets Mudclaw in StarClan and apologizes for not informing him of his decision prior. Tallstar insists WindClan requires a different kind of leader for the future and allows Mudclaw to participate in Onewhisker's leadership ceremony.
- Tallstar is a large, black-and-white tom with a very long, thin, black tail. He has a white muzzle, that has gray fur around it, short, thick fur, and amber eyes.
Please do not edit this gallery
|Tallpaw's apprentice ceremony|
|Talltail's warrior ceremony|
|Tallstar's leader ceremony|
|Reference: Tallstar's Revenge, pages 494-503|
Personality and Relationships
- Tallstar is a wise and strong leader, respected by cats from all the Clans. For more of Tallstar's personality and relationships, click here!
- Tallstar's parents are Palebird and Sandgorse, and his littermate is Finchkit. For more of Tallstar's family, click here!
- Pinestar's Choice (Mentioned only)
- Tallstar's Revenge †
- Yellowfang's Secret
- Crookedstar's Promise
- Leopardstar's Honor
- Bluestar's Prophecy
- Redtail's Debt
- Into the Wild (First appearance; mentioned only)
- Fire and Ice
- Forest of Secrets
- Rising Storm
- Tigerclaw's Fury (Allegiance only)
- A Dangerous Path
- The Darkest Hour
- Blackfoot's Reckoning
- A Shadow in RiverClan
- Firestar's Quest
- Graystripe's Vow
- Mothwing's Secret (Allegiance only)
- Starlight †
- Winds of Change †
- The Sight
- Outcast (Mentioned only)
- Eclipse (Mentioned only)
- Night Whispers (Mentioned only)
- Bramblestar's Storm (Mentioned only)
- Shattered Sky (Mentioned only)
- The Raging Storm
- Squirrelflight's Hope
- Darkness Within
- Secrets of the Clans (Retconned)
- Cats of the Clans
- Code of the Clans
- Battles of the Clans
- The Ultimate Guide
- Kate Cary has said Tallstar never took a mate or had kits, and also that his heart always belonged "to his Jake".[blog 1] Kate has also said that in her head she sees Tallstar and Jake as mates. However, inside the publisher's head, they are "Good Friends".[blog 2][blog 3]
- Kate thinks Tallstar goes out of StarClan to visit Jake.[blog 4]
- Tallstar appears as WindClan's leader at a Gathering in Warrior's Return despite having died a few books before.
- He has been described as having a white tail-tip and paws.
The following information is from sources considered non-canon or retconned.
- In Secrets of the Clans, a 2007 field guide, it is revealed that Tallstar mentored Morningflower, then Morningpaw. Tallstar offers a brief introduction on WindClan, a Clan that has known great suffering, but always survives. He is listed in the Significant Leaders section for WindClan as one of the wisest and longest-lived WindClan leaders. He had an unusually close relationship with ThunderClan and their leader, Firestar. He watched over his Clan when they were driven out by Brokenstar, and was later the first to argue for leaving the forest when it came close to being completely destroyed. Tallstar, on his deathbed, changed Onewhisker to his deputy instead of Mudclaw, a wise decision in the long run.
- "A tabby can't change his stripes. Shrewpaw was born with a burr in his fur. I'll just have to put up with it."
- ―Tallpaw to Dawnstripe Tallstar's Revenge, page 87
- "The warrior code must reach beyond borders, surely? Courage, honor, and loyalty don't end at a scent line."
- ―Talltail discussing the way the Warrior Code can be implemented outside of Clan territory with Barkpaw Tallstar's Revenge, page 272
- "I'll help you kill him."
- ―Talltail helping Shrewclaw taking revenge on Cedarstar Tallstar's Revenge, page 480
- "We all have our flaws, but we overcome them. And sometimes, it's our flaws that make us who we are."
- ―Talltail explaining why he wants to mentor Hopkit Tallstar's Revenge, page 487
- "Perhaps it's my age that grants me this clarity...perhaps it's how close I've come to StarClan. But I can see our Clan's future. I see Onewhisker—no, Onestar—leading the cats of WindClan in harmony. With Firestar at his side. An equal. A friend. WindClan and ThunderClan working together, just as our two Clans have done on this journey."
- ―Tallstar envisioning the future Tallstar's Revenge, page 507
- "I know you're hungry. But we'll be safer here than back in our old territory, or Twoleg woods. Look at this place! Even ShadowClan won't follow us here. There's no scent of dog, and these Twolegs can hardly stand."
- ―Tallstar to his Clan Fire and Ice, page 3
- "WindClan has traveled a long time. It's nearly a moon since ShadowClan drove us from our home. The weather is turning colder, and leaf-bare will be here soon. We have no choice but to stay."
- ―Tallstar to his Clan, WindClan Fire and Ice, page 4
- Tallstar: "We've been seeing a lot of you lately, Fireheart. Just because you once led us home doesn't give you the freedom to wander around our territory."
- Fireheart: "So I've been warned. However, I must put the needs of my Clan first."
- Rising Storm, page 311
- Tigerstar: "We have come to invite you to be joint leaders of a greater Clan, to be known as TigerClan."
- Tallstar: "TigerClan was the name of one of the great Clans of ancient times. Tigerstar has no right to use it now. Nor does he have the right to change the number of Clans in the forest. We have lived as four Clans for innumerable seasons, following the warrior code laid down for us by StarClan. To throw aside our ancient ways would bring disaster. I'll die before I join my Clan to yours!"
- The Darkest Hour, pages 136-137
- "He spent nine long lives fighting for his Clan, defending the borders, forging alliances that would grant his Clanmates one more moon of peace, and battling creatures within his territory that wanted to harm his kits."
- ―Rock describing Tallstar Cats of the Clans, page 46
- (Warrior of the Week #103)
Notes and references
- Revealed in Twilight, page 2
- Revealed in Fire and Ice, allegiances
- Revealed in Tallstar's Revenge, page 321
- Revealed in Tallstar's Revenge, page 390
- Revealed in Tallstar's Revenge, page 491
- Revealed in The Darkest Hour, page 210
- Revealed in Tallstar's Revenge, page 6
- Revealed in Starlight, page 119
- Revealed in Tallstar's Revenge, page 52
- Revealed in Tallstar's Revenge, page 255
- Revealed in The Ultimate Guide, page 101
- Revealed in Tallstar's Revenge, page 501
- Revealed in Tallstar's Revenge, page 290
- Revealed in Crookedstar's Promise, allegiances
- Revealed in Tallstar's Revenge, page 490
- Revealed in Tallstar's Revenge, page 1
- Revealed in Twilight, page 27
- Revealed in Into the Wild, allegiances
- Revealed in Fire and Ice, page 1
- Revealed in The Sight, page 184
- Revealed in Graystripe's Vow, page 167
- Revealed in Tallstar's Revenge, page 53
- Revealed in Tallstar's Revenge, page 357
- Revealed in Tallstar's Revenge, page 495
- Revealed in Tallstar's Revenge, page 496
- Revealed in Tallstar's Revenge, page 498
- Revealed in Tallstar's Revenge, page 499
- Revealed in Tallstar's Revenge, page 500
- Revealed on Kate's Facebook
- Revealed in Tallstar's Revenge, page 67
- Revealed in Warrior's Return, page 90
- Revealed in Secrets of the Clans, page 36
- Revealed in Secrets of the Clans