|"Loyalty makes Clan cats strong. But no Clan has pure blood running beneath their pelts."|
|— Brambleberry explaining about invisible boundaries in The Last Hope, page 25|
- Below contains in-depth information for chapter three of The Last Hope. If you are looking for a shorter summary of the entire book, please check the main article.
- Chapter Number: 3 (of 27)
- Page Numbers: 23-33
- Jayfeather has arrived at the Moonpool, however, no one else is there, to his disappointment. He wishes for the Ancients to be there, but there is no sign of them. He touches his nose to the water and tries to dream. He is awoken into a vision by Brambleberry, who has come to speak with him. She compares the Clans to honeysuckle, saying that while they all compete and fight with one another, they all have the same roots. Jayfeather still doesn't understand, saying that the Clans had always been divided, although Brambleberry points out that they had created the boundaries themselves, and that they only existed in their minds.
- After Brambleberry fades, Jayfeather thinks he is blind once more, but something flashes at the end of his sight, and he realizes that he is still in his vision. Suddenly, Dark Forest pelts swarm around him from either side, and Brokenstar appears, threatening him but also showing him that some of his Clanmates and cats from the other Clans training in the Dark Forest. The vision ends with the Dark Forest cats streaming towards him, with teeth bared.
- As Jayfeather recovers from the shock of his vision, he senses Mothwing at the Moonpool. Jayfeather reveals to her that StarClan is frightened and informs her about the upcoming battle against the Dark Forest and StarClan. Mothwing is shocked at the prospect of dead warriors fighting against live cats on real territory, and she tells Jayfeather that some of her Clanmates have been acting odd, two of them being Hollowflight and Icewing. Jayfeather tells her that they need to unite the Clans, and he also informs her that her brother, Hawkfrost, is involved. As Mothwing pledges her help to Jayfeather, Jayfeather can't help but wonder if she is the fourth cat. He also imagines Mothwing as the last cat who would help him fight the Dark Forest - but maybe she was the only cat who could.
Notes and references
|The Last Hope chapters|
|Prologue • Chapter 1 • Chapter 2 • Chapter 3 • Chapter 4 • Chapter 5 • Chapter 6 • Chapter 7 • Chapter 8 • Chapter 9 • Chapter 10 • Chapter 11 • Chapter 12 • Chapter 13 • Chapter 14 • Chapter 15 • Chapter 16 • Chapter 17 • Chapter 18 • Chapter 19 • Chapter 20 • Chapter 21 • Chapter 22 • Chapter 23 • Chapter 24 • Chapter 25 • Chapter 26 • Chapter 27|
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.