|"You've united the Clan. It's still only a few seasons old and yet we're strong now. SkyClan's future looks secure at last."|
|— Billystorm to Leafstar on SkyClan in The Rescue, page 15|
The Rescue is the first book in the SkyClan and the Stranger arc.
- Newleaf is coming, and Leafstar is proud to see SkyClan thriving under her leadership. The woods are brimming with prey, the warriors den is full, and Leafstar is expecting kits of her own. But a stranger is lurking near SkyClan’s territory, and Leafstar’s newborn kits—and the rest of the young Clan—could be in serious danger.
- "Based off of the "Warriors" book series, Erin Hunter takes on a manga approach to provide extra background stories and exciting new adventures. Leafstar, the leader of the Skyclan, has become confident in her clan. As leader she sees those around her as dedicated, strong, and ready to take on any unseen obstacle. New changes are coming to the Skyclan as Leafstar awaits her first litter of kittens but an uneasiness sweeps over the leader of the warriors when she finds a group of her apprentices with a stranger. This stranger brings about a test to the clan as how strong they are as one and if they can withstand the harmful things outside their peaceful home. This manga brings about a storyline that is independent from the Warriors books but full of adventure. Readers are able to grasp the plot easily, becoming comfortable with the characters instantly, while the artwork supports the story in a very basic way."
- -Barnes and Noble Editorial Review
Detailed plot description
- The book starts with Leafstar hunting in the woods with Billystorm. She is seen to be expecting his kits. She explains that he is a daylight warrior, and that he goes home at nights.
- While Leafstar and Billystorm are looking down into the camp, Rabbitleap shows the apprentices, Birdpaw, Sandypaw and Honeypaw how to jump like SkyClan cats. This annoys Lichenfur, one of the Clan elders, saying they were cats, not rabbits. Waspwhisker retorts that his son's skill was something to be proud of, and Leafstar is glad some cat stood up to Lichenfur.
- Birdpaw hurts her eye from falling off of one of the rocks while training. Rabbitleap gets scolded by Clovertail, and soon enough, Sharpclaw comes over to tell them that they've had enough jumping for one day. Echosong comes out of her den, and says that it was only a simple scrape.
- One of the patrols returns with news that a fox was scented inside the territory. It is stated that Ebonyclaw came up with the idea of bending sticks to mark how far the scent came into the territory. Sharpclaw is impressed, saying that not even he could come up with that. Lichenfur says it's good for a kittypet, while Cherrytail says it's amazing that any warrior thought of that.
- Leafstar and Billystorm soon return to camp, but not before getting spotted by Echosong, the medicine cat. She scolds Leafstar for leaving camp, and says that she should confine her to her den until the kits come.
- Clovertail is seen giving Leafstar advice about having kits. Leafstar tells Clovertail that she thought it would be harder to raise kits than to lead a Clan. Clovertail says honestly that it probably would be, even with Billystorm helping her, but she also says that there was nothing better than having kits.
- While eating with Clovertail and Echosong, Leafstar sees Sharpclaw about to leave camp with Cherrytail, and stops him, asking if he was going to check on the fox Mintfur's patrol had scented earlier. Sharpclaw uncomfortably says he and Cherrytail had wanted go go on a walk, but says they could pass through that area. After leaving, Leafstar asks Echosong and Clovertail if they thought they had been acting weird. Clovertail tells Leafstar that it was obvious Cherrytail and Sharpclaw had taken a liking to one another, and there might be more kits in SkyClan soon.
- Leafstar has a nightmare about losing her kits. She is running when she sees the rest of SkyClan calling out her name for help. Leafstar is torn between helping SkyClan and saving her kits. Billystorm's arrival awakes Leafstar from her dream.
- She suspects that something is not right when she catches some apprentices straying over the border and eating while on patrol. She discovers that the apprentices have been taking food and medical help from an elderly female Twoleg. Leafstar tells them to go back to camp. Soon after that she starts kitting, and she gives birth to two she-cats and one tom.
- The Twoleg soon comes to the SkyClan camp in search of Leafstar, as she is worried of her safety. When one of Leafstar's kits falls out of the nursery, her motherly instinct tells her to get the kit. The Twoleg takes her and her kits.
- When she is trapped in the house, she meets a kittypet named Harry. He asks about life in the Clans. Her Clanmates soon rescue her, and Harry helps to carry one of the kits. Leafstar names her kits Firekit, Stormkit and Harrykit, after Firestar, Sandstorm, and Harry, respectively. Afterward, Harry reveals himself to be Sol, and he joins SkyClan.
- The cat on the cover is strongly suggested to be Leafstar.
- It should be noted that while this book is referred to as 'manga', it is not, as it did not originate in Japan and was not drawn by Japanese mangaka.
- The Rescue (EN), HarperCollins (paperback), 5 July 2011
- Спасение (RU), OLMA Media Group (unknown binding), 2014
References and citations
|The Rescue chapters|
|Part 1 • Part 2 • Part 3|