|"Oh yes. There was Thistleclaw. He was a fine warrior, strong and brave. But his answer to every problem was a fight. Should I have watched him be made deputy, and then leader, and let him force the Clan into unnecessary wars? He died as he lived, Fireheart, a few seasons before you came to join us, attacking a RiverClan patrol on the border. Wild and arrogant to the last. I couldn't stand by and let him destroy my Clan."|
|— Bluestar to Fireheart about Thistleclaw in Forest of Secrets, page 233|
Thistleclaw was a ThunderClan warrior who had served under Pinestar's, Sunstar's, and Bluestar's leaderships in the forest territories. He was born as Thistlekit to Poppydawn and Windflight alongside his littermates, Rosekit and Sweetkit, and even as a kit, he was known for being aggressive amongst his peers. He was apprenticed as Thistlepaw to Adderfang, and after becoming a warrior, Thistleclaw became Snowfur's mate, much to Bluefur's disgust. He and Snowfur had one son named Whitekit, and he began training in the Dark Forest, hoping to become deputy and then leader of ThunderClan. Snowfur was later killed by a monster, devastating Thistleclaw, with him blaming it on Bluefur.
He initiated a relationship with Spottedpaw, hoping that she would choose him as a mate when she became a warrior, but she rejected him after discovering him training in the Dark Forest. Thistleclaw mentored Tigerpaw and nurtured the young tom's ambitions and hunger for power. Bluefur knew that Thistleclaw would lead ThunderClan into war and endless bloodshed, so she did everything in her power to prevent him from becoming deputy, including giving up her own kits to be raised in RiverClan. Ultimately, Thistleclaw was killed by a RiverClan patrol, and descended to the Dark Forest, where he attacked and severely wounded Antpelt where Antpelt later died from his injuries. He also trained several cats to prepare for the Great Battle, during which he retreated after Brokenstar's death. Seasons later, he worked with Ashfur but was forced to surrender after the latter was defeated by the Lights in the Mist and fled.
Looking for a longer overview? Find one here!
- "Coward! Show some courage, can't you? […] That's better! Now you're fighting like a warrior!"
- ―Thistleclaw attacking Antpelt Sign of the Moon, page 65
- During the Great Battle, Thistleclaw leads an assault on WindClan's camp, where he discovers Ivypool is a traitor and attacks her and Tigerheart, confused why Tigerstar's kin would fight for the Clans. Hollyleaf arrives to Ivypool's aid, driving Thistleclaw and Snowtuft away. When Brokenstar is killed during the skirmish on ThunderClan's camp, Thistleclaw stops his fight with Spiderleg to call a retreat, before fleeing along with the rest of the Dark Forest warriors.
- Coming Soon
- "If only they had seen him as she had, with his claws at Oakheart's throat, goading Tigerclaw on to savage a helpless kit, pacing the borders with wild-eyed hunger for revenge. The memories gave Bluefur strength. Whatever it had cost her, she was the only cat who could stand in Thistleclaw's way. Only she knew what he was capable of."
- ―Bluefur's thoughts on Thistleclaw Bluestar's Prophecy, page 495
- Snowfur gives birth to Thistleclaw's son, Whitekit, and Thistleclaw is overjoyed at becoming a father. He is heartbroken after Snowfur is killed by a monster and furiously blames Bluefur for her death. He focuses on his son and threatens Bluefur to stay away, but Goosefeather warns her about Thistleclaw's influence on Whitekit. Thistleclaw also gains Tigerpaw as an apprentice, and he shares his thirst for fighting and power. He violently attacks Oakheart when he trespasses on ThunderClan territory to see Bluefur and questions her relationship with the RiverClan tom.
- Thistleclaw is thought to be appointed as ThunderClan's next deputy when Tawnyspots' health is failing. Bluefur and Goosefeather have a vision of Thistleclaw's fur covered in blood, foreshadowing ThunderClan's future if Thistleclaw were to become leader. Bluefur decides to give up her kits to be raised in RiverClan with their father in order to become deputy. She succeeds, and he is furious when Bluestar chooses Redtail as her deputy. Moons later, Thistleclaw dies from a fight with a RiverClan patrol.
- "StarClan? You mouse-brain! This isn't StarClan! Those smug, toothless fools won't teach you anything as useful as this."
- ―Thistleclaw to Crookedjaw Crookedstar's Promise, page 392
- "You don't get it, Spottedpaw. I can't turn away from my destiny. Nothing is more important than this. The rip of flesh beneath my claws, the taste of blood, the scent of my enemy's fear...I am hungry for all of it, and I will keep fighting until ThunderClan rules the entire forest!"
- ―Thistleclaw about the Dark Forest Spottedleaf's Heart, page chapter 8
- In The Rise of Scourge, while on a patrol with Bluefur and Tigerpaw, they come across a tiny black kitten trespassing. Thistleclaw accuses Bluefur of being soft on kittypets and tells Tigerpaw that the kit should be taught a lesson. Tigerpaw attacks the kitten, and Bluefur stops him, but Thistleclaw insists they were protecting their territory before leaving.
- Thistleclaw is a huge, sleek-furred, lean, dark gray-and-white tabby tom with uneven gray patches mottling his white face and spiky fur that is said to be softer than it looks. He has wide, white shoulders, dark amber eyes, a broad, mottled, gray-and-white muzzle a torn ear-tip, and a long gray tail.
Please do not edit this gallery
This list shows the victims Thistleclaw has killed:
|Thistleclaw's warrior ceremony|
Personality and traits
- As a young cat, Thistleclaw displays the typical arrogance of a tom wanting to be the best cat for his Clan, though much to the annoyance of some of his Clanmates, who believe he should show respect at such an age. He displays much of his future battle-hungry attitude young as well, encouraged by some of ThunderClan's senior warriors. However, despite his arrogance, Thistleclaw proves himself to be a strong and brave warrior of ThunderClan, sometimes thinking before acting on behalf of his Clanmates' safety. Ultimately, his arrogance costs him his life when he tries to fight an entire RiverClan patrol all by himself, only to be overpowered and killed.
- Aside from his apparent arrogance, Thistleclaw also cares deeply for those close to him. He shows this when Sweetpaw passes away, and later when he and Snowfur become mates. He is also overjoyed when he learns he is to be a father, and is as supportive as possible for Snowfur when she gives birth to Whitekit.
- Thistleclaw's parents were Windflight and Poppydawn, and his older half-siblings were Tawnyspots, Thrushpelt and Dappletail. He and Snowfur had one son, Whitestorm. For more of Thistleclaw's family, click here!
- Crookedstar's Promise
- Bluestar's Prophecy †
- Leopardstar's Honor (Allegiance only)
- The Rise of Scourge
- Spottedleaf's Heart
- Redtail's Debt
- Forest of Secrets (First appearance; mentioned only)
- Tigerclaw's Fury (Mentioned only)
- Night Whispers
- Sign of the Moon
- The Forgotten Warrior (Mentioned only)
- The Last Hope
- A Light in the Mist
- Secrets of the Clans (Mentioned only; retconned)
- Cats of the Clans (Mentioned only)
- The Ultimate Guide (Mentioned only)
- Did you know Vicky initially suspected Thistleclaw went to StarClan, but Bluestar chased him out? For more trivia about Thistleclaw, click here!
- "You know what your problem is, Bluefur? You're soft. Soft on warriors from other Clans and soft on kittypets. I saw you talking to Oakheart at the Gathering. Do you care about your Clan at all?"
- ―Thistleclaw quarreling with Bluefur Bluestar's Prophecy, page 379
- "We need more patrols. It's too easy to invade. Too many invaders. Only fear will keep them out. We must mark our borders with the blood of our enemies."
- ―Thistleclaw to Bluefur after attacking Oakheart Bluestar's Prophecy, page 459
- "No cat can doubt his courage, or his battle skills, or his pride in his Clan. But I don't want my Clan to be led into endless fighting. Our borders are strong enough without being marked over and over with blood. ThunderClan deserves to live in peace, and I believe you can give it that."
- ―Sunstar to Bluefur about Thistleclaw Bluestar's Prophecy, page 493
- "He'd never seen a hunger for battle like this, not in battle for Sunningrocks, not even when Hailstar nearly killed Reedfeather."
- ―Crookedjaw's thoughts on Thistleclaw Crookedstar's Promise, page 328
- Spottedpaw: "You have brought me to the Dark Forest. Cats are sent to this place because they are too evil to belong in StarClan. Why would you want to train here?"
- Thistleclaw: "Cats might think something is evil just because it follows different rules. You didn't see anything evil here tonight, did you? Just courage, skill, and strength—more than you'll ever see in one of your training sessions with Thrushpelt."
- Spottedleaf's Heart, page chapter 5
- (Mentioned only)
- (Indirect mention only)
- (Indirect mention only)
- (Mentioned only)
- (Indirect mention only)
- (Mentioned only)
- (Allegiance only)
- (Allegiance only)
Notes and references
- Revealed in Night Whispers, page 80
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 47
- Revealed in Forest of Secrets, page 233
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 144
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 286
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 403
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 154
- Revealed in Crookedstar's Promise, page 327
- Revealed in Crookedstar's Promise, page 390
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 385
- Revealed in Night Whispers, page 160
- Revealed in Sign of the Moon, page 61
- Revealed in Sign of the Moon, chapter 5
- Revealed in Crookedstar's Promise, page 326
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 287
- Revealed in The Last Hope, chapter 26
- Revealed in Spottedleaf's Heart, page 82
- Revealed in Spottedleaf's Heart, chapter 1
- Revealed in Sign of the Moon, page 63
- Revealed in Spottedleaf's Heart, chapter 5
- Revealed in Spottedleaf's Heart, chapter 8
- Revealed in Sign of the Moon, page 111
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, chapter 4
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, chapter 21
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, chapter 7
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 262
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 320
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, chapter 24
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 327
|Dark Forest cats|
|Current members||Maggottail • Silverhawk • Sparrowfeather • Houndleap • Rushtooth • Mapleshade • Thistleclaw • Clawface • Stumpytail • Frecklewish|
|Faded||Antpelt • Shredtail • Brokenstar • Hawkfrost • Tigerstar • Snowtuft • Darkstripe • Redwillow • Darktail|
|Trainees||Crookedstar • Thistleclaw • Bramblestar • Hawkfrost • Lionblaze • Ivypool • Mousewhisker • Birchfall • Blossomfall • Thornclaw • Tigerstar • Antpelt • Ratscar • Applefur • Redwillow • Sunstrike • Harestar • Breezepelt • Minnowtail • Icewing • Beetlewhisker • Hollowflight • Furzepelt • Larkwing • Whiskernose|