|"Oh yes. There was Thistleclaw. He was a fine warrior, strong and brave. But his answer to every problem was a fight. Should I have watched him be made deputy, and then leader, and let him force the Clan into unnecessary wars? He died as he lived, Fireheart, a few seasons before you came to join us, attacking a RiverClan patrol on the border. Wild and arrogant to the last. I couldn't stand by and let him destroy my Clan."|
|— Bluestar to Fireheart about Thistleclaw in Forest of Secrets, page 233|
Thistleclaw was a ThunderClan warrior under the leaderships of Pinestar, Sunstar, and Bluestar. Thistlekit was born to Poppydawn and Windflight, and even as a kit he was known for being aggressive among his peers. He became an apprentice, Thistlepaw, and was mentored by Adderfang. After becoming a warrior, Thistleclaw became Snowfur's mate, much to Bluefur's disgust. The pair had a son, Whitestorm. After Snowfur's death, Thistleclaw began training with the Dark Forest, hoping to become deputy and then leader of ThunderClan.
He initiated a relationship with Spottedpaw, hoping that she would choose him as a mate when she became a warrior, but she rejected him after discovering him training in the Dark Forest. Thistleclaw mentored Tigerpaw and nurtured the young tom's ambitions and hunger for power. Bluefur knew that Thistleclaw would lead ThunderClan into war and endless bloodshed, so she did everything in her power to prevent him from becoming deputy, including giving up her own kits to be raised in RiverClan. Ultimately, he was killed in battle, and went to the Dark Forest. He mentored several cats for the Great Battle.
Looking for a longer overview? Find one here!
- "Coward! Show some courage, can't you? [...] That's better! Now you're fighting like a warrior!"
- —Thistleclaw attacking Antpelt Sign of the Moon, page 65
- During the battle against the Clans, Thistleclaw leads an assault on WindClan's camp. Thistleclaw discovers Ivypool is a traitor and attacks her and Tigerheart, confused why Tigerstar's kin would fight for the Clans. Hollyleaf arrives to Ivypool's aid, and drives away Thistleclaw and Snowtuft. Brokenstar is killed, and Thistleclaw stops his fight with Spiderleg to call a retreat.
- "If only they had seen him as she had, with his claws at Oakheart's throat, goading Tigerclaw on to savage a helpless kit, pacing the borders with wild-eyed hunger for revenge. The memories gave Bluefur strength. Whatever it had cost her, she was the only cat who could stand in Thistleclaw's way. Only she knew what he was capable of."
- —Bluefur's thoughts Bluestar's Prophecy, page 495
- Snowfur gives birth to Thistleclaw's son, Whitekit, and Thistleclaw is overjoyed at becoming a father. He is heartbroken after Snowfur is killed by a monster and furiously blames Bluefur for her death. He focuses on his son and threatens Bluefur to stay away, but Goosefeather warns her about Thistleclaw's influence on Whitekit. Thistleclaw also gains Tigerpaw as an apprentice, and shares his thirst for fighting and power. He violently attacks Oakheart when he trespasses on ThunderClan territory to see Bluefur and questions her relationship with the RiverClan tom.
- Thistleclaw is thought to be appointed as ThunderClan's next deputy when Tawnyspots's health is failing. Bluefur and Goosefeather have a vision of Thistleclaw's fur covered in blood, foreshadowing ThunderClan's future if Thistleclaw were to become leader. Bluefur decides to give up her kits to be raised in RiverClan with their father in order to become deputy. She succeeds, and he is furious when Bluestar chooses Redtail as her deputy. Moons later, Thistleclaw dies from a fight with a RiverClan patrol.
- In Crookedstar's Promise, Crookedjaw spots Thistleclaw in the Dark Forest battle training with Shredtail. Thistleclaw is determined to become deputy, though Shredtail doubts that Sunstar would appoint him. When asked if he still grieved for Snowfur, Thistleclaw adamantly insists she never should've died and his son is soft like his mother. Later, Silverhawk teaches Thistleclaw the killing bite and offers to teach Crookedjaw it. At a Gathering, he nods at Crookedjaw, who is now the RiverClan deputy, as if they were allies.
- In Spottedleaf's Heart, Thistleclaw befriends Spottedkit and, despite remarking she would be a good medicine cat, is pleased that she is determined to be a warrior. While on a patrol, he compliments her hunting skills and is blamed when she falls out of a tree trying to catch a squirrel. She witnesses Thistleclaw order Tigerpaw to attack a kit, and Spottedpaw confronts him though Thistleclaw defends his actions. Attempting to make it up to her, Thistleclaw takes Spottedpaw to the Dark Forest to meet Mapleshade to demonstrate his training and murders a cat. Spottedpaw is disgusted, and eventually confronts him to stop training there if he really cared about her. Thistleclaw disagrees, citing his destiny to rule ThunderClan, and Spottedpaw breaks ties with him.
- In The Rise of Scourge, while on a patrol with Bluefur and Tigerpaw, they come across a tiny black kitten trespassing. Thistleclaw accuses Bluefur of being soft on kittypets and tells Tigerpaw that the kit should be taught a lesson. Tigerpaw attacks the kitten. Bluefur stops him, but Thistleclaw insists they were protecting their territory before leaving.
- Thistleclaw is a large, sleek-furred, lean, dark gray-and-white tabby tom with uneven gray patches mottling his white face and spiky fur that is said to be softer than it looks. He has wide, white shoulders, dark amber eyes, a broad, mottled, gray-and-white muzzle a torn ear-tip, and a long tail.
Please do not edit this gallery
Please do not edit this gallery
Please do not edit this gallery
This list shows the victims Thistleclaw has killed:
|Thistlepaw's warrior ceremony|
- "You know what your problem is, Bluefur? You're soft. Soft on warriors from other Clans and soft on kittypets. I saw you talking to Oakheart at the Gathering. Do you care about your Clan at all?"
- —Thistleclaw quarreling with Bluefur Bluestar's Prophecy, page 379
- "We need more patrols. It's too easy to invade. Too many invaders. Only fear will keep them out. We must mark our borders with the blood of our enemies."
- —Thistleclaw to Bluefur after attacking Oakheart Bluestar's Prophecy, page 459
- "No cat can doubt his courage, or his battle skills, or his pride in his Clan. But I don't want my Clan to be led into endless fighting. Our borders are strong enough without being marked over and over with blood. ThunderClan deserves to live in peace, and I believe you can give it that."
- —Sunstar to Bluefur about Thistleclaw Bluestar's Prophecy, page 493
- "He'd never seen a hunger for battle like this, not in battle for Sunningrocks, not even when Hailstar nearly killed Reedfeather."
- —Crookedjaw's thoughts on Thistleclaw Crookedstar's Promise, page 328
- "StarClan? You mouse-brain! This isn't StarClan! Those smug, toothless fools won't teach you anything as useful as this."
- —Thistleclaw to Crookedjaw Crookedstar's Promise, page 392
- Spottedpaw: "You have brought me to the Dark Forest. Cats are sent to this place because they are too evil to belong in StarClan. Why would you want to train here?"
- Thistleclaw: "Cats might think something is evil just because it follows different rules. You didn't see anything evil here tonight, did you? Just courage, skill, and strength—more than you'll ever see in one of your training sessions with Thrushpelt."
- Spottedleaf's Heart, page chapter five
- "You don't get it, Spottedpaw. I can't turn away from my destiny. Nothing is more important than this. The rip of flesh beneath my claws, the taste of blood, the scent of my enemy's fear...I am hungry for all of it, and I will keep fighting until ThunderClan rules the entire forest!"
- —Thistleclaw about the Dark Forest Spottedleaf's Heart, page chapter eight
- Warriors Super Editions: A World Without Limits on the Warriors official website (Mentioned only)
- Creating an Antagonist on the Warriors official website (Indirect mention only)
- Stand Together or Fall Divided on the Warriors official website (Indirect mention only)
- Clan or Kin? on the Warriors official website (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Revealed in Night Whispers, page 80
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 47
- ↑ Revealed in Forest of Secrets, page 233
- ↑ Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 144
- ↑ Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 286
- ↑ Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 403
- ↑ Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 154
- ↑ Revealed in Crookedstar's Promise, page 390
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 385
- ↑ Revealed in Night Whispers, page 160
- ↑ Revealed in Sign of the Moon, page 61
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Revealed in Sign of the Moon, chapter 5
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 13.2 13.3 13.4 Revealed in Crookedstar's Promise, page 326
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 287
- ↑ Revealed in Spottedleaf's Heart, page 82
- ↑ Revealed in Spottedleaf's Heart, chapter 1
- ↑ Revealed in Sign of the Moon, page 63
- ↑ Revealed in Spottedleaf's Heart, chapter 5
- ↑ Revealed in Sign of the Moon, page 111
|Dark Forest cats|
|Leaders||Tigerstar • Hawkfrost • Mapleshade • Thistleclaw • Maggottail • Brokenstar|
|Members||Antpelt • Clawface • Darkstripe • Houndleap • Silverhawk • Snowtuft • Shredtail • Sparrowfeather • Redwillow • Rushtooth|
|Trainees||Crookedstar • Thistleclaw • Bramblestar • Hawkfrost • Lionblaze • Ivypool • Mousewhisker • Birchfall • Blossomfall • Thornclaw • Tigerstar • Antpelt • Ratscar • Applefur • Redwillow • Sunstrike • Harestar • Breezepelt • Minnowtail • Icewing • Beetlewhisker • Hollowflight • Furzepelt • Larkwing|