|"You're the best at fighting. ThunderClan's so lucky to have you. I don't think you'll ever get hurt! I'm going to be like that one day. I'll defend my Clan and none of my enemies will be able to touch me!"|
|— Toadstep to Lionblaze in Sign of the Moon, page 160|
Toadstep was a ThunderClan warrior who served under the leaderships of Firestar and Bramblestar in the forest territories. He was born as Toadkit to Daisy and Spiderleg, along with his sister Rosekit. He later became an apprentice, his mentor being Cloudtail, and later a warrior, Toadstep. He fought in Great Battle and survived, but a while after the battle ended, Toadstep died from a greencough outbreak along with Hazeltail and Icecloud, and ascended to StarClan.
- 1 History
- 1.1 In the Power of Three arc
- 1.2 In the Omen of the Stars arc
- 1.3 In the Super Editions
- 1.4 In the Novellas
- 2 Character pixels
- 3 Official art
- 4 Kin
- 5 Appearances
- 6 Trivia
- 7 Quotes
- 8 External links
- 9 Notes and references
In the Power of Three arc
- Toadkit and Rosekit are born to Spiderleg and Daisy. Hazeltail makes her excitement of her newborn kin clear to a busy Jaypaw. She wonders aloud if she will be able to mentor one of her half-siblings, but Jaypaw disabuses her from that belief, as Firestar would most likely not consider her since she'd possibly be soft on her kin. When Hollypaw takes a blackbird to the nursery, Toadkit and Rosekit lay by Daisy's belly and suckle.
- Toadkit: "H-how did you know what I was doing?"
- Jaypaw: "I'm not as blind as you think.""
- Eclipse, page 52
- Toadkit is brought to Jaypaw by his mother, having chased a bee and crashed into nettles. He is in much pain and is unable to sit still, his ear and nose skin swollen. Daisy frantically sets him by the pool as Jaypaw chews some dock leaves into a pulp. Toadkit, who is delirious from the pain, knocks the pulp out of Jaypaw's paw and into the pool. As Jaypaw prepares another pulp, he sends Daisy out to check on Rosekit. When the medicine cat apprentice licks the pulp onto Toadkit's ears, he starts to squirm. Then, as Jaypaw turns to fetch more dock, Toadkit makes an attempt to lunge for his tail, only to miss when Jaypaw turns around. Frightened, he asks how he knew, and he learns that Jaypaw is not as blind as he thought. He apologizes and promises to stay still. Jaypaw, feeling guilt at frightening him, gives him the pulp to rub on his nose. After applying the ointment, Toadkit gratefully thanks him. Then, Jaypaw asks if he wants to wait for Daisy, but Toadkit cheekily replies that he thinks he knows the way back to the nursery, which amuses Jaypaw.
- Daisy is very protective of her kits, as she protects them with her tail when Firestar announces that WindClan is stealing ThunderClan's prey. While Millie gives birth, Toadkit and Rosekit are kept back in a corner by Daisy. She hushes the two when they ask questions about the birth. Afterwards, Toadkit boasts that Bumblekit is going to play with him when he is older. He also believes that Blossomkit should be called Squealkit for that is all she does. He is scolded by Rosekit for this comment. The two of them are then scolded by Spiderleg. Spiderleg tells them to play something quieter. Toadkit, in response, starts to play with Spiderleg's tail. He stops, however, when Sol arrives. He runs up to Sol and asks him his name, and he announces his name to the Clan.
- Later, after the surprise attack on ThunderClan by WindClan, Toadkit expresses his disappointment that he didn't get to see the battle. When RiverClan joins WindClan in the fighting, Longtail, Mousefur, Daisy, Millie, and the kits wait in Firestar's den. Toadkit wants to participate in the battle. Mousefur scolds him and tells him to help comfort Bumblekit, Blossomkit and Briarkit like his sister.
- Some time later, Millie reviews with Daisy and her kits on what to do if strangers come near Firestar's den. Rosekit and Toadkit would take Millie's kits to the back of Firestar's den. Daisy and Millie would remain on guard outside the den. Mousefur and Longtail would defend the top of the rocks to stop intruders from coming onto the Highledge, and Brightheart would defend the bottom. Their plan is not needed because of the disappearance of the sun that ends the battle. Lionpaw and Hollypaw assist Daisy and Millie in carrying the kits down from the Highledge. When Daisy puts Toadkit down on the ground, he retorts that he could have walked down himself. He runs away and almost crashes into Graystripe. Graystripe asks the kit to check to make sure there is enough moss in Millie's nest. Toadkit agrees and happily bounces away. Graystripe comments on how the battle hardly fazes the kit at all. Daisy replies that Toadkit thinks it is all a big adventure.
- As Lionpaw checks the nursery to make sure it has fresh bedding, Toadkit and Rosekit ask Lionpaw to teach them some battle moves in case WindClan invades again, but Lionpaw gently declines since he is to be on the next patrol. Due to Millie's sickness, Daisy has moved herself and her kits to the apprentices' den. Rosekit and Toadkit constantly strut around the camp as if they are already apprentices. Toadkit watches the warrior ceremony of Cinderheart, Lionblaze, and Hollyleaf.
- Toadkit and his sister are now eating fresh-kill, having been weaned off of milk. He spars with Rosekit, pretending that he is a WindClan warrior. Daisy, who is concerned for her kits' health because of Millie's cough, orders them to play outside as Jaypaw examines Briarkit and Millie. Much time passes and Toadkit does not appear again until Littlecloud visits the ThunderClan camp, requesting to speak to Tawnypelt. Toadkit and his sister have curious looks on their face as Littlecloud asks for Firestar's permission to speak with Tawnypelt.
- Toadkit, Blossomkit, and Bumblekit have sad looks on their faces when Millie, Briarkit and Rosekit, who are all ill, leave to stay at the abandoned Twoleg nest. Toadkit wails that he wants to go with Rosekit. Daisy tells him that the best way to help his sister is to stay healthy. Jayfeather mentions some time later that Foxpaw tried to convince Toadkit to eat rabbit droppings, and would tell Daisy if the apprentice didn't change the elders' bedding. When there is a fire in the camp, he escapes, along with Daisy, Blossomkit, and Bumblekit.
- He spars with Rosekit before Firestar calls a meeting regarding Ashfur's death. Later, Jayfeather comes to the nursery to check the queens and kits for fleas, and Toadkit gives him trouble, distracting Blossomkit and finally succeeding in catching Jayfeather's tail and pestering him with questions. After Jayfeather snaps at him, he runs to Daisy, who scolds Jayfeather. Spiderleg, spends a little more time with him and his sister, Rosekit.
In the Omen of the Stars arc
- "The two new ThunderClan warriors ducked their heads in embarrassment, though their eyes shone as they were welcomed by the Clans."
- ―Narrator about Toadstep and Rosepetal The Fourth Apprentice, page 7
- Toadstep escapes the camp when a tree is about to fall. After the damage is done, he, Rosepetal, Whitewing, Dovepaw, and Ivypaw help repair the elders' den. The cats go out to collect materials to use, and Ivypaw asks Toadstep to watch her slide three tail-lengths down the slope on her belly. Toadstep, who is clearly amused, thinks she looks like a duck. Whitewing comments that since Toadstep and Ivypaw are getting along so well, they might as well gather bedding together. Toadstep embarrassingly agrees. Ivypaw challenges him to a race to the water and leave the other cats. When the cats return, Toadstep and Rosepetal drop the moss near the elders' den and leave to see what other duties Brambleclaw has for them. When Ivypaw visits the Dark Forest, she mentions that she injured her shoulder the night before, and carried it through a day of hunting with Icecloud and Toadstep, then back into her dream.
- Toadstep participates in the battle against ShadowClan. He helps Foxleap drive off Crowfrost and bounds over to Brackenfur, Thornclaw, and Ivypaw with Foxleap. Brackenfur tells them that ShadowClan keeps re-grouping and are driving ThunderClan back across the field. Toadstep comments that it's nearly impossible to get a good grip on the ground due to the grass. They formulate a new place, and once in the forest, all the cats except Lionblaze discreetly climb up trees and ambush the surprised ShadowClan. Toadstep engages himself in a fight with Tigerheart. Tigerheart hisses in spite at ThunderClan's strategy as he tears at Toadstep's spine, causing him to let out a blood-curdling screech and fur flying. Dovepaw, who is hesitant to fight her friend, is relieved by Foxleap, who pulls the dark tabby off of Toadstep.
- Toadstep asks Rosepetal if she would like to hunt with him and Mousewhisker. She agrees, and the three cats bring back some prey. A few days later, Toadstep is assigned by Brambleclaw to a hunting patrol consisting of Dovepaw, Brackenfur, and Hazeltail. Brambleclaw warns the patrol that he wants another prey-hole to be filled by sunset. The cats agree to split up, and Toadstep volunteers to search the edge of the moor in case a stray rabbit found itself on ThunderClan territory. The next day, Toadstep is assigned to another hunting patrol. This time, he, Dustpelt, and Foxleap are to hunt around the Ancient Oak. When he returns from the patrol, he helps drive out the fox that has invaded the camp. He digs his claws into the fox and rips out painful clumps of red fur from its pelt.
- Toadstep and Birchfall carry leaves into the camp to help repair the warriors' den. Both warriors are exhausted, and their skin clings to their bones. They barely made it on their trip to collect leaves because of the scarcity of prey. Toadstep and Birchfall go back out into the forest to collect a few more leaves needed to repair the back of the den. Toadstep assists in the search for Ivypaw when she disappears. He and Icecloud lean over the beech tree to look through the branches, but to no avail. Later, Toadstep gathers with the Clan when Flametail's sad death is announced.
- "But you're so good, why wouldn't I want to fight like you?"
- ―Toadstep to Lionblaze Sign of the Moon, page 160
- "Let them come!... We are ready!"
- ―Toadstep towards the WindClan border The Forgotten Warrior, page 265
- When Sol is going to visit ShadowClan, he arrives in time to hear Millie mutter that Sol should eat ShadowClan's fresh-kill instead of theirs. Toadstep protests, saying they were being unfair to Sol, still believing he was the one who saved the apprentices. He stalks around Blossomfall as they practiced battle training before Dovewing and Bumblestripe arrived. Blossomfall performs a new move on him perfectly. He takes Blossomfall as a training partner after Bumblestripe refused to practice with her, and Blossomfall outwits Toadstep.
- Later, Toadstep is one of the warriors Hollyleaf takes with her on the first underground tunnel patrol. Hollyleaf uses a new move on him, and Toadstep gets a few bruises. When practicing finding their way out of the tunnels, he gets lost and yowls in a panic. Hollyleaf calms him down, and tells him to follow the tunnel where the scent was stronger, and he finally finds his way out.
- When Bumblestripe mentions how Jayfeather snapped at Hazeltail and hissed at Cherrypaw, Bumblestripe also mentions how Jayfeather ordered Toadstep and Foxleap to fetch comfrey. Later, he goes on a patrol looking for ShadowClan cats. He mentions they shouldn't get to camp first but instead find them and escort them to camp, but they decide to head back and warn Firestar.
In the Super Editions
- When Bramblestar reflects on the recent greencough epidemic, he thinks about Toadstep, who had been hit by the deadly illness. The ThunderClan leader admits that the sickness took Toadstep's life, alongside two of his Clanmates, Hazeltail and Icecloud.
In the Novellas
- When Dapplenose complains to Mothwing that the ThunderClan warriors Firestar had promised as reinforcements were late, Toadstep, Foxleap and Rosepetal burst into the RiverClan camp warning that the Dark Forest is attacking.
- "The other Clans have managed to kill most of their traitors. Maybe we should have done the same!"
- ―Toadstep about the former Dark Forest trainees Dovewing's Silence, page chapter 6
- On the way back from the Gathering, Poppyfrost mentions that Toadstep hasn't eaten much lately, shooting him a worried glance. Toadstep says he wasn't hungry is all. Bramblestar explains if he isn't hungry tomorrow, then go and see Jayfeather. Two nights later, Toadstep starts coughing and now he is keeping everyone awake instead of Sandstorm. Dovewing struggles to feel sympathetic as he knew he was falling ill and should have gone to Jayfeather earlier. Since he isn’t too sick, he is moved into the apprentices' den where Sandstorm is, to stop keeping the other warriors awake. Toadstep shuffles into the apprentices' den with Jayfeather close behind. Purdy mentions that putting him and Sandstorm together reminds him of something Firestar once did.
Please do not edit this gallery
Please do not edit this gallery
Please do not edit this gallery
- Birchfall: Living (As of Darkness Within)
- Shrewpaw: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Foxleap: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Hollykit: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Larchkit: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Icecloud: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Ashfur: Deceased, verified ghost
- Unnamed tom: Deceased, residence unknown
- Ravenpaw: Deceased, verified StarClan member
= Gender Unknown
- Outcast (First appearance)
- Long Shadows
- Hollyleaf's Story (Allegiance only)
- The Fourth Apprentice
- Mistystar's Omen (Allegiance only)
- Fading Echoes
- Night Whispers
- Sign of the Moon
- The Forgotten Warrior
- The Last Hope
- Mothwing's Secret
- Dovewing's Silence
- Bramblestar's Storm † (Mentioned only)
- He has loner blood through Daisy.
- He has been mistakenly described with gray paws.
- "Is there any blood?"
- ―Toadkit asking about Millie's kitting Eclipse, page 154
- Toadkit: "You should have called Blossomkit Squealkit, because that's all she does!"
- Rosekit: "Don't be mean!"
- Eclipse, page 160
- "But he just got here! Who are you?"
- ―Toadkit curiously asking Sol who he is Eclipse, page 164
- (Indirect mention only)
- (Indirect mention only)
- (Indirect mention only)
Notes and references
- Revealed on Vicky's Facebook
- Revealed in Outcast, allegiances
- Revealed in Bramblestar's Storm, page 11
- Revealed in The Fourth Apprentice, page 7
- Revealed in The Fourth Apprentice, allegiances
- Revealed in The Forgotten Warrior, page 37
- Revealed in Dovewing's Silence, chapter 6
- Revealed in Twilight, page 146
- Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page 18
- Revealed in Rising Storm, page 42
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 329
- Revealed in Midnight, page 84
- Revealed in The Sight, page 5
- Revealed in Into the Wild, pages 226-227
- Revealed in Graystripe's Vow, page 9
- Revealed on Vicky's Facebook
- Revealed in The Fourth Apprentice, page 299
- Revealed in Sunrise, page 317
- Revealed in Fire and Ice, pages 95-97
- Revealed in Forest of Secrets, pages 62-63
- Revealed in Eclipse, page 116