|"I'm not sure what a rogue is. I told Violetpaw last night—I travel alone. I was born in the wild. My mother left me as soon as I was old enough to hunt. I've spent most of my life trying to stay away from Twolegs. They are obsessed with trying to tempt me into their nests with food, but I don't want to live in a Twoleg nest. Twolegs are noisy, and they smell weird."|
|— Tree to Hawkwing about his way of life in Darkest Night, page 246|
Tree is the current mediator and resides in SkyClan. He was born in the Sisters to Moonlight with his sisters Sunrise and Ice as Earth. Earth was forced to leave his kin per the Sisters culture at six moons old. He later met his father, Root, who taught him to survive and Earth decided to rename himself Tree. He continued his life as a nomadic loner, but after learning of a six-toed cat who will help the Clans, SkyClan discovered Tree and his power to speak with ghost cats who have not crossed into StarClan yet.
He struggled to conform to a set role in Clan life, and Leafstar decided to grant him the title of mediator to settle disputes between the Clans. Tree became mates with the SkyClan warrior Violetshine, and they had two kits, Rootkit and Needlekit. He briefly reunited with Moonlight when the Sisters settled close to Clan territory, and condemned her for abandoning him. After Bramblestar's revival, he was adamant on punishing the codebreakers. Tree objected to the impostor's motivations, and he was exiled for three days from SkyClan as a punishment, becoming a loner once more. He discovered that Bramblestar was possessed via Rootpaw's ability to see the real leader as a ghost, and father and son helped convince the Clans that the current Bramblestar was an impostor. Later, Rootspring was stuck in the Place of No Stars, and Tree brought the Sisters over to help discover another route into the Dark Forest, and was saddened when Rootspring was trapped.
Looking for a longer overview? Find one here!
- "I can't make all dead cats appear. Needletail told me about StarClan. I've never seen a StarClan cat. I think I can only sense cats who are still tied to the living. They've stuck close to us. They can't move on until they've done what they feel they need to do. Like Needletail. She will only find her way to StarClan when she has finished what she started here."
- ―Tree about his powers Darkest Night, page 298
- Due to Tree's incredible abilities, he is accepted into SkyClan by Leafstar. However, he is lazy and unskilled, and he finds that the warrior life is not suitable for him. Tree is then encouraged to be a medicine cat apprentice under Frecklewish, but it is obvious that he is not cut out to be a medicine cat either. Due to the fact that he is good at solving problems within the Clan, Leafstar names Tree as the first Clan mediator. At his attempts to resolve the ShadowClan-SkyClan conflict are fruitless, Tree grows frustrated by the leaders refusing to listen to his advice. When Leafstar decides to lead her Clan back to the gorge, Tree tries to dissuade her by revealing Echosong was present. When SkyClan leaves, Tree decides to remain behind. Urged by Twigbranch, Tree sets out to bring Violetshine and SkyClan back to the lake. He shows Hawkwing, Twigbranch, and Violetshine Pebbleshine, who reveals Violetshine is expecting his kits.
- "This is why you should be your own cat. Like it or not, you have a different ancestry from most of the other young cats in SkyClan. The way of the warrior is not the only way, and you should be grateful for the chance to see that. There's more to life than fighting and showing yourself off as a strong cat. It's not always about who is the biggest and bravest."
- ―Tree to Rootpaw Lost Stars, page 60
- Tree: "I guess. But Rootkit and Needlekit will have a father and a mother for as long as they need them, and if they're in trouble, they'll always have a Clan to turn to."
- Squirrelflight: "You're starting to sound like a warrior."
- Squirrelflight's Hope, page 410
- ""A friendship you choose is sometimes stronger than kinship," Root had said. Surely, somewhere there was another cat who could touch Tree's heart. Some cat who would make caring worth the risk. For the first time since Root's death, Tree's heart began to fill out with excitement. There was a whole future out there toward the horizon, and he could go anywhere he liked. And, someday, maybe another cat would talk beside him."
- ―Tree's thoughts Tree's Roots, page chapter 10
Please do not edit this gallery
Personality and traits
- Tree is a laid-back and somewhat odd tom.[source?] He has strange strategies for hunting, such as crouching still for long periods of time pretending he is a bush. He can see ghosts, which is very off-putting to Clan cats, and, by his own admission, he does not really care for the warrior way of life and would rather do his own thing.[source?] However, he cares deeply for his family, always helping and comforting them when they are in need. He also has a sarcastic sense of humor.
- Tree is highly intelligent, perceptive and insightful, as he often notices things that other cats don't and is very good at solving problems. This is shown when he came up with a solution to Sleekwhisker and Yarrowleaf,[source?] and the fact he was the first cat to recognize the danger inherent in the fake Bramblestar's accusations of codebreakers.[source?] He was also the first to recognize that the impostor was merely using StarClan's silence as a way to turn the Clans against each other.[source?]
- Despite being generally laid-back and good at staying calm when insulted or under pressure, Tree does have his limits and is not incapable of losing his temper or patience, or holding grudges. A prime example of this is his relationship with his mother Moonlight, against whom he holds a powerful grudge for abandoning him as a kit. When reuniting with Moonlight, Tree is uncharacteristically cold, angry and bitter. When he later attempts to negotiate with her, he initially stays calm, answering her questions patiently, but eventually loses his temper and starts shouting at her after she repeatedly refuses to take his words seriously and insults him. Other notable examples of Tree's vulnerable side are shown when he was visibly hurt and frustrated by SkyClan and ShadowClan's refusal to listen to his attempts to help them compromise, and when he angrily reprimanded Finleap for accusing him of trying to "steal" Twigbranch.[source?]
- When Tree joined SkyClan, he and Violetshine quickly became close. Violetshine helped Tree learn the ways of a Clan, and Tree was a comforting presence for Violetshine after Needletail's death.[source?] She and Tree eventually become mates, and have kits together.
Needleclaw and Rootspring
- Cherrytail: "Rootspring, are you sure you're not... well, imagining this? After all, you've always seen things a bit... strangely."
- Tree: "And what's wrong with that? Remember that Rootspring was the first cat to see Bramblestar's spirit, and alerted us all to what was happening. Is this any harder to believe?"
- The Place of No Stars, page 36
- Tree has a strained relationship with his mother, Moonlight. When Tree was a kit called Earth, he loved his mother and believed the things she taught him, but was slightly resentful of her neglecting him in order to focus on leading the Sisters. His resentment was intensified by Moonlight's refusal to sing for his dead friend Stream, and by the realization that she did not love him (Earth) as much as she loved his sisters. Despite this, Earth did not wish to leave the Sisters and begged to be allowed to stay, or at least leave in his own time. Moonlight dismissed her son's feelings and pleas, and once Earth reached his sixth moon, she cast him out without a second thought. As a result, Tree developed a bitter grudge against Moonlight and the Sisters, vowing to never forgive them for casting him out.
- When they reunite many moons later, Tree is hostile towards Moonlight, angrily condemning her for abandoning him as soon as he could hunt and for letting the stars decide his fate. Moonlight is surprised by Tree's anger and nonchalantly defends her actions, showing herself to be unapologetic and unremorseful about hurting her son's feelings.
- Tree initially refused to attempt convince Moonlight and the Sisters to leave, wanting nothing to do with them, but later reluctantly agreed for the sake of peace. When Tree arrived in the Sister's camp, Moonlight initially ignored him because he was a tom and was amused when Squirrelflight revealed he had been chosen to speak for the Clans. When she finally acknowledged him, she greeted him warmly by his birth name, only for Tree to coldly remind her of his new name. As Tree attempts to reason with her, the two quickly get into a heated argument, with Moonlight accusing Tree of threatening her and of "forgetting" his "duty" as a tom to wander and protect the land, while Tree accuses Moonlight of caring more for her beliefs than her kits. Ultimately, Tree's attempt to reason with Moonlight fails and mother and son part on bad terms.
- Even after Moonlight's death, Tree remains bitter towards her and has no desire to see her ghost, arguing that since she abandoned him in life, he shouldn't have to put up with her in death. Nevertheless, he expresses a degree of sadness over her death, though mainly on behalf of her orphaned kits.
- Unlike his relationship with his mother, Moonlight, Tree's relationship with his father isn't estranged. They were very close when Root was still alive. Root knew that Moonlight was expecting his litter when the gray she-cat broke up with him to continue her life with the Sisters. This caused Root to despise Moonlight for leaving him so coldly and for not giving him a chance to know his own kits. When Tree revealed how Moonlight banished him when he wasn't fully ready to hunt and fend for himself, Root was furious that his former mate abandoned their son as well especially after Tree (then Earth) nearly got killed by a pack of dogs due to his inexperience. Root then agrees to take care of Earth until his son is fully ready to care of himself. Root also suggests that Earth should change his original name since the Sisters didn't want them anymore. Earth then changes his name to "Tree" since he and Root slept in an Oak Tree the night before.
- Root then teaches his son to care for himself during the next two moons. Root taught his son how to scavenge for food in Twoleg trash and the unattended bowls of kittypets. Tree mentally notes how difficult his life would've been without his father to guide him. Tree is devastated and guilt-ridden when Root sacrifices himself to save him from a fox, and resolves to wander alone from then on. However, Root's ghost later comes to Tree and encourages him to let other cats into his life, advise Tree heeds.
- Tree's parents are Root and Moonlight, and his littermates are Ice and Sunrise. Violetshine is his mate, and Rootspring and Needleclaw are their children. For more of Tree's family, click here!
- Tree's Roots
- Pebbleshine's Kits
- Thunder and Shadow (First appearance)
- Darkest Night
- River of Fire
- Tawnypelt's Clan (Allegiance only)
- Spotfur's Rebellion
- The Raging Storm
- Squirrelflight's Hope
- Lost Stars
- The Silent Thaw
- Veil of Shadows
- Darkness Within
- Graystripe's Vow (Allegiance only)
- Daisy's Kin (Allegiance only)
- The Place of No Stars
- A Light in the Mist
- River (Allegiance only)
- Tree has the power to bring dead cats from the darkness so the living cats can see them, which he inherited from his mother, Moonlight.
- Tree is a polydactyl cat, meaning he has a sixth toe, along with Spider Paw.
- Tree rejected the opportunity to receive a warrior name since "[Tree] is nice and simple, like me."
- He is the first ever cat to be a mediator.
- He has the same pelt shade as his father, Root, and his sister Sunrise.
- He was mistakenly called a rogue and warrior.
- Although Tree was on the impostor's list of codebreakers in Lost Stars, he was neglected as such throughout The Silent Thaw and Veil of Shadows. According to James Noble, this was a mistake, and will be fixed in reprints of the aforementioned books. [blog 1]
- (Warrior of the Week #70)
Notes and references
- Revealed in River of Fire, page 196
- Revealed in Squirrelflight's Hope, page 94
- Revealed in Thunder and Shadow: Bonus Scene, page 11
- Revealed in The Silent Thaw, page 272
- Revealed in Veil of Shadows, page 81
- Revealed in River of Fire, chapter 2
- Revealed in Tree's Roots, chapter 7
- Revealed in Squirrelflight's Hope, page 78
- Revealed in Tree's Roots, chapter 1
- Revealed in Tree's Roots, chapter 3
- Revealed in River of Fire, page 29
- Revealed in River of Fire, page 77
- Revealed in Thunder and Shadow: Bonus Scene, page 9
- Revealed in Darkest Night, chapter 18
- Revealed in Darkest Night, page 280
- Revealed in Lost Stars, chapter 8
- Revealed in Darkest Night, page 297
- Revealed in Darkness Within, chapter 3
- Revealed in River of Fire, page 197
- Revealed in Squirrelflight's Hope, chapter 20
- Revealed in Squirrelflight's Hope, chapter 3
- Revealed in The Place of No Stars, page 135
- Revealed in The Place of No Stars, page 36
- Revealed in The Place of No Stars, page 234
- Revealed in The Place of No Stars, page 244
- Revealed in The Place of No Stars, page 248
- Revealed in The Place of No Stars, pages 277-279
- Revealed in Tree's Roots, chapter 2
- Revealed in Tree's Roots, chapter 4
- Revealed in Squirrelflight's Hope, chapter 10
- Revealed in Squirrelflight's Hope, chapter 29
- Revealed in Tree's Roots, chapter 8
- Revealed in Tree's Roots, page 114
- Revealed in Tree's Roots, chapter 10
- Revealed in Squirrelflight's Hope, chapter 11
- Revealed in Moth Flight's Vision, page 321
- Revealed in River of Fire, page 186
- Revealed in River of Fire, chapter 15
- Revealed in The Place of No Stars, page 168
- Revealed in Squirrelflight's Hope, page 42
- Revealed in Squirrelflight's Hope, page 154
- Revealed in The Silent Thaw, page 161
- Revealed in The Silent Thaw, page 167
- Revealed in The Silent Thaw, page 173
- Revealed in The Silent Thaw, page 183
- Revealed in Veil of Shadows
|Medicine cats||Frecklewish • Fidgetflake|
|Warriors||Sparrowpelt • Cherrytail • Tinycloud • Sagenose • Mintfur • Nettlesplash • Rabbitleap • Plumwillow • Macgyver • Harrybrook • Cloudmist • Bellaleaf • Dewspring • Reedclaw (Beetlepaw) • Violetshine • Palesky • Gravelnose • Nectarsong • Quailfeather • Pigeonfoot • Sunnypelt (Beepaw)• Kitescratch • Turtlecrawl • Needleclaw • Rootspring • Wrenflight|
|Apprentices||Beepaw • Beetlepaw|
|Kits||Ridgekit • Duskkit|
|Members||Tempest • Hawk • Furze • Sunrise • Flurry • Sparrow • Petal • Moon • Squirrel • Sunshine|
|Former members||Moonlight • Tree • Stone • Grass • Haze • Stream • Snail • Chestnut • Mud • Spider • Cloud • Leaf • Ice • Creek|