This page contains the detailed history for Tree.
Looking for a shorter overview? Find one here!
In the A Vision of Shadows arc
- In the bonus scene, Tree finds Needlepaw sleeping in a hollow with a vole tucked between her paws and he steals the prey. Needlepaw wakes up and demands he return the stolen food. Tree lays it on the ground and asks why she wants it, questioning if it helps her sleep. Needlepaw responds that she is saving it for her Clanmates by the lake. Tree comments that it would go bad by the time she returned there.
- Needlepaw changes the subject by asking who he is. Tree introduces himself and Needlepaw speculates on what a strange name he has. He responds by asking what she is called, and she informs him that her name is Needlepaw. Tree's eyes flash with amusement, offending her. The yellow tom remarks that it is strange how someone called Needlepaw can find the name Tree weird. She announces that her Clanmates named her, and asks who named him.
- He tells her that he named himself when he was old enough to want a name, and since he liked trees, he chose Tree. Needlepaw appears confused with this logic, but before she can criticize further, he tells her to eat the vole. They decide to share the vole and hunt more later. He asks her why she is so far away and Needlepaw tells him about what happened the previous night. Tree exclaims that he knew Clan cats were brave but she is even braver. Needlepaw wonders aloud how he knows about the Clans and Tree informs her that he has traveled there and back before. He jokes that it is funny he finds a Clan cat taking prey here as well and Needlepaw snaps that she offered to share the vole. Tree assures he that he was only teasing.
- Needlepaw says that she would like to travel back to the Clans but since it is already near sunset, the pair decide to hunt instead. They start to talk about Tree's past and he tells her that his mother, sister, and himself lived in an old fox burrow. He says that his sibling had always been sickly, so his mother showed him how to hunt a mouse and then left with his sister. Tree recalls that a big tom chased him away from that den and that he never found another place worth staying at. He says that he then began his travels to the lake and back.
- By nightfall, the Tree and Needlepaw are crossing the moor. They make their way towards ShadowClan territory until they reach the marsh. As Needlepaw and Tree travel deeper into ShadowClan territory, Needlepaw recognizes Tawnypelt, Cloverfoot, and Scorchfur on a patrol. Tawnypelt says that she is glad Needlepaw is alive, and that the Clan thought she was dead and sat vigil for her. Needlepaw is disheartened, but she remembers Tree and asks if he could join ShadowClan.
- Tawnypelt turns him away, but as they are leaving, Needlepaw rushes back and tells him how grateful she is, and that he would have been a great Clanmate. She promises that she will always be his friend before being taken back to camp.
- Tree is relaxing on a rock and notices Needletail moving in the shadows. She tells him that she trusted the wrong cat and many have suffered from her actions. She asks Tree for help and he eagerly agrees. He then notices that a glow is coming from her and realizes that she is dead. He asks how she died.
- Tree is sleeping when he is discovered by Violetpaw, after being led to him by the spirit of Needletail. Needletail explains that he is a cat that she had met when she was alive and now she sees him whenever she returns. When Tree wakes up, he asks who Violetpaw is. She explains that Needletail brought her and Tree asks if Violetpaw can see her too. Violetpaw says she can and explains that Needletail was her friend. Tree says he met her when she was an apprentice, but he didn’t see her again after. Violetpaw asks why he keeps following her, and he looks indignant, stating she keeps following him. Violetpaw tells him Needletail led her to him, his eyes sparkle with mischief, mewing that was kind, maybe they’re soul mates, adding it’s kind of romantic with the moonlight and heather. Violetpaw bristles, asking if he flirts with every cat he meets, and he answers only the ones who show up in the middle of the night, claiming a ghost brought them. Violetpaw snaps, then goes on that Needletail thinks he might be a help to the Clans. He sounds disappointed upon learning Violetpaw is a Clan cat, then says the only thing he knows about Clan cats is that they don’t like strangers on their land and take everything way too seriously.
- Violetpaw turns away and begins marching off, but he blocks her way. They introduce themselves, and Violetpaw tells him to come to the hollow at dawn, where she and her Clanmates are camping. He agrees, and that morning, Tree arrives, then gets surrounded and questioned by the SkyClan cats. Violetpaw explains Needletail led her to him the night before. Tree asks them if he’s joining them. Hawkwing and Frecklewish exchange a look, then agree to let him tag along.
- Upon reaching SkyClan’s camp, Tree backs away as Sandynose and Plumwillow leap to their paws to greet the patrol. After a moment, Sandynose notices Tree and asks who he is. Violetpaw steps forward, explaining she found him and thought he should join them, and Hawkwing adds Needletail visited her in a dream and led her to him, telling her he was important. Tawnypelt expresses her distrust in Tree and Violetpaw, and Leafstar is skeptical, but Puddleshine points out that he has six toes on one paw, and he must be the cat the prophecy has spoken of. Leafstar decides to let him stay with SkyClan, for now.
- Violetshine spots Tree lounging in a patch of sunshine and grows annoyed. She notes how he always sleeps in the sun and barely helps, causing her to hiss at him, saying whenever he wants to help he's more than welcome. This wakes Tree, who turns his head toward her, eyes fraught, and she feels guilty for snapping at him. As she begins to apologize, Leafstar calls him over, a relief to Violetshine.
- Leafstar beckons Tree forward, so he approaches her, while Violetshine tags along, hanging back to listen to their conversation. Leafstar reminds Tree how much time he's had to chose where he belongs, then asks if he's made his mind up yet.
- Tree shakes his head, saying that he's not sure if clan life is for him and he has been a loner all his life. He says how he isn't sure if he could be a apprentice and that it's not fun.
- More Coming Soon
- Tree is first mentioned by Mintfur, who complains about him not helping as a warrior should. Violetshine sticks up for him. Mintfur can tell Violetshine likes him a lot.
- The border patrol scents lots of ShadowClan markers. They report to Leafstar, who states what she thinks to the Clan. They argue until Leafstar askes Tree what to do. He tells her to be cautious, and that Tigerstar is already a strong leader, so the amount of border markers is probably ShadowClan hoping to provoke them. He and Violetshine wait at the border, permitted by Leafstar, to leisurely pry some information. They find that the new cats are fitting in well, making ShadowClan strong.
- They are next seen going to the Gathering. Violetshine asks Tree if he is nervous about possibly mediating between the Clans, and he says he isn't. Tigerstar and Leafstar get into an argument, but Tree stops them. Bramblestar suggests Tree meeting with Tigerstar and Leafstar privately. Leafstar continues to argue. Tree offers to help, and agrees to both Clans meeting. SkyClan arrives to the place of meeting, a long way from both camps. Tree paces in the meadow before Juniperclaw comes and tells them that Tigerstar has more important issues than this. Fighting ensues. No one listens to Tree, and it is obvious he is upset. Violetshine comforts him.
- At the emergency gathering, ShadowClan and SkyClan start arguing. Bramblestar asks Tree if he can do anything, but Tree says he can't, because no cat will listen. Afterwards, ShadowClan attacks SkyClan in their sleep, and Tree says he can't fight, because he can't mediate then. At the next Gathering, Leafstar and Tigerstar fight. Bramblestar asks Tree if he can do anything, but he says he can't, because they won't listen, and they won't compromise. Leafstar declares SkyClan will leave, to the protest of Bramblestar, Harestar, and the medicine cats.
- SkyClan returns to their camp. Tree sees a dead cat, who says that she must remind SkyClan of Echosong's vision, since it led them to the lake, and they must stay here. Leafstar doesn't listen. Again, Tree is upset, and again, Violetshine comforts him. Tree wants her to stay with him, but she refuses. Later, Twigbranch finds Tree in the woods. She is surprised he didn't leave with Violetshine. Twigbranch has come up with a plan to bring SkyClan back, and Tree agrees to go with her to find them. They gather cats from ThunderClan, WindClan, and RiverClan to find them.
- On the journey, they reach a cave, and learn from a loner that SkyClan passed through only a day ago. Tree and Twigbranch eat together, and Finleap accuses Twigbranch and Tree of loving each other, even though Twigbranch loves Finleap and Tree loves Violetshine. Tree learns that SkyClan is in danger, and they must go help them. They find SkyClan cats trapped in a tree, with floods surrounding them, though the branches of another tree almost reach them. Twigbranch's patrol rescues the SkyClan cats. Tree sees Pebbleshine, who informs them that Violetshine is having Tree's kits. On the journey home, they have to cross a tree across a river. Violetshine slips and grabs onto a tree root with her paws as she struggles to stay afloat. Shadowkit falls in the water too, having had a vision that he had to do this to bring ShadowClan and SkyClan together. Juniperclaw had followed him, and saves Shadowkit and Violetshine, but dies in the river. SkyClan rejoins the Clans around the lake, and Tree is a SkyClan cat once more.
In The Broken Code arc
- In his apprentice ceremony, Rootpaw is embarrassed by Tree, thinking he doesn't belong in the clans, mostly because of Tree's peculiar ability to talk to dead cats. After hunting, Rootpaw denies his past thoughts and thinks Tree as a bit less embarrassing, because he is good at hunting.
- More Coming Soon
- Bramblestar's ghost runs to SkyClan's territory hoping to find Tree, but comes across Rootpaw instead. When Rootpaw discovers that he can see the ghost, he frets about becoming like his father. At a Gathering, Rootpaw spots his father speaking with two RiverClan warriors, and Tree comforts Rootpaw after he falls into the lake.
- Tree fails to catch a fish in the stream and comes across Fidgetflake and Rootpaw gathering herbs. Tree takes Rootpaw to teach him how to hunt by becoming a "bush". He talks with his son about potentially leaving the Clans and is worried about Bramblestar's insistence about the codebreakers. Rootpaw realizes that his father cannot see Bramblestar's ghost, and Tree bids him farewell.
- After the ghost's presence hinders Rootpaw's warrior training, he reveals to his father about the ghost. Tree comforts him as Rootpaw spills his fears about the ghost. He warns his son from telling any other cat about the imposter and believes only he can convince Squirrelflight of the imposter. Tree gives his son the confidence he needs to follow the ghost's plan to sneak into ThunderClan's camp.
- When Frecklewish reveals Shadowsight's vision of codebreakers to the rest of the Clan, Tree believes Bramblestar is merely using that as a way to turn the Clans against another. At an emergency Gathering, Tree snarls in Rootpaw's ear that the imposter is trying to make the Clans suffer and is skeptical that punishing the codebreakers will bring StarClan back. Later, Tree catches Rootpaw sneaking out for a secret meeting and joins him. Together with Frecklewish, they arrive at the meeting with other Clan cats. He argues that leaving the Clans would make a bigger statement to Bramblestar than overthrowing him, but Rootpaw cuts him off. Tree poses for Rootpaw and lies that he can see Bramblestar's ghost and the other Bramblestar is an imposter.
- At the Gathering, Bramblestar's imposter accuses Rootpaw of being a codebreaker for potentially seeing dead cats, but Tree stands up for him, stating several others had seen ghosts, too. He edges Bramblestar's imposter on, questioning his decree of StarClan's will. Enraged, the imposter snarls that Tree must atone for arguing against Clan life by living in exile for three days. Despite Leafstar's outrage, Tree agrees since he was a former loner, but Bramblestar insists Tree must visit the other Clans and convince them to follow StarClan's laws. As coercion, the imposter threatens his family.
- Tree believes he should take his family and leave, but Frecklewish convinces him to take Rootpaw and tell the other Clans the truth. Tree and Rootpaw visit ShadowClan's camp, but are turned away by Tigerstar. Shadowsight catches up with them as they leave and they tell Shadowsight of the ghost. With Tree's help and Rootpaw's ploy, father and son materialize the ghost. Shadowsight lets them come back to camp and they discover Squirrelflight, who has been exiled. Tree fakes making the ghost appear in ShadowClan's camp, and praises Rootpaw for his strength. Tree and Rootpaw journey with Puddleshine and Shadowsight to the Moonpool to speak with the other medicine cats. While avoiding ThunderClan territory, they hear a cat in trouble and leave Shadowsight behind, and a mysterious tom attacks him.
- Tree, Rootpaw and the other medicine cats wait at the Moonpool for Puddleshine and Shadowsight to arrive. Puddleshine arrives momentarily, and is surprised not to see Shadowsight with them. The group goes to search for Shadowsight but lose his scent among crushed catmint. Tree gathers the medicine cats and Rootpaw summons Bramblestar's ghost. When the medicine cats debate between themselves about the ghost, Tree reassures Rootpaw they must make their own choice. Tree purrs happily at Needleclaw's warrior ceremony, and is surprised when Leafstar calls another meeting shortly thereafter. When Frecklewish reveals the truth about the impostor and Bramblestar's ghost, Leafstar asks Tree if he's seen the ghost, and Tree confirms this. The Clan questions why Rootpaw could see the ghost instead of Tree.
- He and his family visit SkyClan's old camp to meet with the other rebels, and Tree reaffirms that he's seen the ghost too. Shadowsight, now a spirit, attempts to communicate with Tree and Rootpaw but they cannot see him. Later, Tree asks Rootpaw if he's seen the ghost recently, and Rootpaw regrettably replies that he hasn't. Tree decides to perform a summoning ritual to attempt to reach Bramblestar's ghost. It fails, but Frecklewish suggests performing the ritual at the Moonpool. Rootpaw believes he spots something in the Moonpool, but it fades once Tree's howling stops.
- Tree is hesitant when Rootpaw announces he's going to become a warrior, but is pleased that Rootpaw is happy. Tree attends another rebels meeting, though notes that there is no proof that the impostor wounded Shadowsight. He and Violetshine watch on proudly when their son earns his warrior name of Rootspring. Shadowsight recovers and explain that the impostor tried to kill him, and asks Rootspring to try to summon the ghost. He fails, but Tree reassures his son that he definitely felt something. Tree challenges Leafstar that she should have enough proof now to act against Bramblestar, but she is still hesitant. Following the battle, Tree injures his leg and thus has to miss the following Gathering, though he encourages Rootspring to attend since he's special.
In the Super Editions
- Tree and Palesky are patrolling the SkyClan border, where they come across Squirrelflight, who greets them. Tree asks how Twigbranch is doing and Squirrelflight replies that she is fine. The ThunderClan deputy explains that she wants to speak to Leafstar, and Palesky agrees to take her to the SkyClan leader. Tree is surprised by Palesky's decision to escort Squirrelflight, believing it is unnecessary since the ginger she-cat knows where the camp is and doesn't pose a threat because she's alone. Palesky impatiently explains that, per the rules, they can't let a cat from another Clan come into their territory unguarded. Tree objects that rules don't make sense, but agrees to help escort Squirrelflight. An amused Squirrelflight wonders if Tree will ever understand the warrior code.
- On the way to the SkyClan camp, Squirrelflight asks Tree how his kits are. Purring proudly, Tree says that they're growing fast. Squirrelflight reveals that Twigbranch wants very much to see them, but will most likely have to wait until their first Gathering. His eyes shining, Tree says that Violetshine can't wait to show off their kits. When they reach the camp wall, Palesky tells Tree to stay with Squirrelflight while she 'warns' Leafstar that the ThunderClan deputy is here. Tree asks Squirrelflight what she wants to speak to Leafstar about, to which Squirrelflight, who isn't used to being questioned by warriors, replies that he'll find when Leafstar tells him. Tree glances at her, but says nothing as he escorts her into the camp. Rootkit and Needlekit excitedly greet their father, who cuffs his son fondly and asks his daughter how she's doing. Needlekit asks if she and Rootkit can play with him now, but Tree gently says he can only play with them after Squirrelflight has left.
- Two days later, Tree joins Hawkwing, Plumwillow, Blossomheart, Macgyver, Sagenose, Bramblestar, Thornclaw, Larksong, Berrynose, and Ambermoon on a mission to rescue Leafstar and Squirrelflight, who had been captured by the Sisters while exploring their territory. As Bramblestar and Moonlight argue over whether or not the captives should be released, Tree pushes his way to the front, glaring at Moonlight. His voice drips with resentment as he calls Moonlight 'mother'. Squirrelflight is shocked by the thought that Tree and Moonlight are mother and son, as they look nothing alike, but then realizes that they have a similar dark determination in their eyes. Moonlight stares back at Tree, and her blank expression gives way to excitement as she recognizes him. Sunrise excitedly greets him as 'Earth' and steps forward, but pauses when Tree angrily says that Earth isn’t his name anymore, and that he renamed himself Tree after they cast him out. Moonlight repeats the name as though testing it, then tips her head to Tree, saying that she likes the name as it suits him. She says he was always a strong-minded kit, and Tree asks if that’s why she abandoned him. Moonlight looks surprised and says that he was old enough to hunt. Tree responds that he barely was. Moonlight objects and says that the Claw Stars were pointing toward sunset, and that it was time for him to wander. Tree scornfully says that she let the stars dictate his fate, and holds her gaze for a moment longer before looking away. Bramblestar tells Moonlight that Tree is a Clan cat now, and will help them battle the Sisters if they don’t return Leafstar and Squirrelflight. Ultimately, Moonlight releases the leader and deputy when they promise to give the Sisters a moon or two to move on, and Tree departs with his Clanmates.
- At a Gathering, ShadowClan, WindClan and RiverClan wish to declare war on the Sisters, mainly because they want SkyClan to move to the rogue she-cats' territory so the borders can return to their original state, and partly because the Sisters permanently maimed Strikestone in a border skirmish. Not wanting the Sisters to be hurt, Bramblestar and Leafstar ask Tree to go to the Sisters and convince them to leave their territory for the sake of every cat. Tree uneasily says that he mediates between the Clans and not outsiders, to which Mistystar reminds him that the Sisters are not outsiders to him, as their leader, Moonlight, is his mother. His hackles raising, Tree bitterly says that he barely knows his mother because she forced him out of the group as a kit. Mistystar retorts that if that is the case, Tree won't mind asking Moonlight to leave. Tree looks away for a moment, then uncomfortably faces Mistystar and insists that Moonlight won't listen to him. He goes on, saying that he is happy to be a Clan cat and do his duty by mediating between the Clans. However, he begs to be left out of the situation, as he wants nothing to do with Moonlight or the Sisters. Some Clan cats are shown to be sympathetic towards the yellow tom, while others, like Squirrelflight are shocked by his bitterness towards his kin. Crowfeather is particularly annoyed by Tree's refusal to get involved. Squirrelflight and Leafstar agree to aviod using Tree until they have no other option, though Tree insists that his connection to Moonlight won't help anything.
- At the next Gathering, ShadowClan, RiverClan and WindClan are even more determined to drive away the Sisters. Still reluctant, Leafstar once again asks Tree to negotiate with the Sisters due to their shared blood. Tree tries to protest, but Leafstar interrupts him, asking if he would consider negotiating with them if it could prevent a war and save Moonlight and her kits from certain death. Tree begins to protest again, but stops himself, looks around the Gathering, then admits that he does want peace. Bramblestar smoothly says that of coarse he does and asks Tree to talk to Moonlight on the Clans' behalf. Tree hesitates, uncomfortably shuffling his paws and closing his eyes, before finally, and reluctantly, conceding. He says he doesn't have high hopes, but if the Clans want to try, he'll do it. The Clan leaders agree to let Tree, Leafsta and Squirrelflight negotiate with the Sisters. Breezepelt, however, rudely asks why they should send Tree, referring to him as a loner, to which Hawkwing angrily retorts that Tree is no longer a longer, but a loyal Clan cat.
- The next morning, Tree, Squirrelflight and Leafstar are heading to the Sisters' camp. Tree tells the two she-cats to go ahead, as he wants to practice his speech. Squirrelflight is surprised that Tree would have to practice speaking to his mother, and realizes that she underestimated just how strained the relationship between Tree and Moonlight really is. Leafstar reveals that Tree and Hawking went over what the former was going to say to Moonlight before she and Tree left. When Squirrelflight asks why bringing Tree along is necessary if he doesn't want to see his mother again, Leafstar explains that he has a talent for slicing open a problem so it can be looked at correctly, which is why she made the Clans' mediator. Leafstar and Squirrelflight hope that because Tree is Moonlight's son, she will listen to him. Tree then catches up and reveals that he knows exactly what he's going to say. Squirrelflight anxiously asks if he thinks Moonlight will agree, and Tree replies that she would if she were reasonable, but they're talking about his mother.
- The three cats reach the Sisters' camp at sunrise and meet Snow at the entrance. Squirrelflight asks if Moonlight has had her kits, and Snow reveals that she has not. The white she-cat shows hostility towards Tree, glaring at him and asking if they expect her to let a grown tom into their camp. Squirrelflight reminds Snow that Tree is her kin, to which Tree snaps that the Sisters don't believe in male kin. Leafstar warns Tree to hold his tongue, reminding him that he is their negotiator. Tree apologizes and stiffly meets Snow’s gaze, saying that he must speak with Moonlight. Snow hesitates before heading through the ferns and telling the Clan cats to follow her. She leads them into the Sisters' camp and goes into the birthing den. Flurry's young son, Creek aggressively asks why Tree, a tom, is here. Tree reminds Creek that he is also a tom, to which Creek nervously says that Tree is too old to be in the camp. Tree gruffly retorts that Creek will be old one day. Snow emerges from the birthing den and reveals that Moonlight will see them. She wrinkles her nose at Tree and adds that she’ll see him as well.
- The three Clan cats enter the den, where Moonlight, overdue with her kits, lies on a nest of fresh ferns. She warmly greets Squirrelflight and Leafstar, but ignores Tree, saying that Snow said that they've brought a grown tom into camp. Squirrelflight explains to Moonlight that Tree has been sent to speak for the Clans, and Moonlight asks why they don’t think Leafstar and Squirrelflight’s voices are enough. Leafstar says that they wanted someone impartial, and Moonlight’s eyes glitter with amusement as she says that they then sent her son. Squirrelflight pleads with Moonlight to listen to Tree, and Moonlight’s gaze finally rests on her son as she greets him as Earth. Tree firmly mews that his name is Tree now, and Moonlight respectfully dips her head as she says that he’s come with a message from the Clans. Tree reveals that he’s actually come to persuade them to leave their territory. Moonlight coolly holds her son's gaze as she says 'really', sounding unimpressed. Tree explains that SkyClan wants the Sisters' land as it was decided that they can’t live by the lake, but that they can’t move onto the land with the Sisters there. Moonlight tells him that she’s already told Leafstar that she can have the land when the Sisters move on, but Tree insists that they need to move now as the Clans are already fighting over land and every moment they stay in camp puts another warrior at risk. He urges Moonlight to leave for the sake of the Clans.
- Moonlight says that she thought that the Clans enjoyed fighting, as they attacked and nearly killed Sunrise for no good reason. Tree reminds her that the Sisters were trespassing and maimed one of ShadowClan’s warriors, but Moonlight replies that if the Clan cats had simply asked those Sisters to leave, no one would have been hurt. His fur ruffling along his spine, Tree mews that that’s what is happening now; the Clans are peacefully asking the Sisters to leave so that no one gets hurt. Moonlight narrows her eyes and asks if that’s a threat. Realizing that Moonlight is being difficult, Squirrelflight shoots Tree a warning glance. Tree dips his head and says that he has come to reason, not threaten, but Moonlight harshly retorts that then he has to reason with her instead of quoting words given to him by someone else, and that as her son, she hopes she taught him to have a mind of his own. Tree answers that he was her son, but that he speaks for the Clans now. Moonlight disgustedly asks if he thinks like a Clan cat now, dividing up and owning the land instead of wandering and protecting it as a tom should. Tree snaps back that Moonlight has never believed in borders and having a home, but that some cats want a home that will always be a home.
- Squirrelflight steps forward and tries to reason with Moonlight by saying that Tree is not trying to threaten her, and if his words are someone else's, its becase he's trying so hard not to. Leafstar adds that if the Sisters don’t move, they will be in danger. Moonlight glares at them and asks if the Clans would really hurt kits to get land. Tree lashes his tail and argues that there’s no way the Sisters can defend their territory against the Clans, asking why they won’t just accept that they have to leave. Moonlight retorts that the Sisters will not be bullied, and that if the Clans wish to attack them, the Sisters will defend their territory and won’t move. Squirrelflight begs Moonlight to leave and not endanger her kits, but Moonlight coldly says again that they will not move. Tree flattens his ears and bitterly remarks that Moonlight has always put her beliefs before the needs of her kits. He then curls his lip and pushes his way out of the den. Leafstar leaves with him. A disheartened Squirrelflight realizes that asking Tree to meditate with his mother wasn't a good idea.
- Ultimately, Tree's warning to Moonlight is proven correct; ShadowClan, ThunderClan, WindClan and RiverClan go to war against the Sisters, and although the rogue she-cats put up a tremendous fight, they ultimately lose due to being outnumbered. During the battle, Moonlight, who had just given birth, is badly wounded by the warriors and Squirrelflight and Leafpool are gravely injured in a landslide while saving the gray she-cat's kits. After the battle, SkyClan shelters the Sisters in their camp, while Frecklewish and Fidgetflake attempt to heal Moonlight's infected wounds. Violetshine, meanwhile, nurses Tree's half-siblings.
- While Frecklewish and Fidgeflake are still treating Moonlight, Tree pokes his head into the medicine den. He says he's going hunting and asks if Moonlight needs fresh-kill yet. Frecklewish says not yet. Tree then spots Squirrelflight's ghost in the den, and his eyes widen in surprise. Squirrelflight is delighted that Tree can see her, as he's first living cat who has. Frecklewish notices Tree's surprised expression, and asks if he's okay. Shaking his pelt out, Tree snatches his gaze away from Squirrelflight and awkwardly says yes to Frecklewish's question. Tree then leaves the den and is followed by Squirrelflight, who delightedly says he can see her. The yellow tom hisses under his breath that he can't talk to her here and leads her out of camp. He then stares at her, his eyes rounding with sympathy and says that he's so sorry. Squirrelflight asks what he's sorry about, and Tree mews that he's sorry that she died, saying that he knew she got injured, but hoped she'd survive. Squirrelflight eveals that she actually isn't dead and is currently in between StarClan and ThunderClan. A surprised Tree mews that he didn't think that was possible. Squirrelflight sits down and says that she didn't think it was possible either, but it is. Tree then asks if Moonlight is with her, revealing that his mother has been unconscious for days and Frecklewish isn't sure she's going to survive her injuries. Squirrelflight reveals that she hasn't seen Moonlight. The ginger she-cat then staggers and gasps from an intense pain in her head, and an alarmed and concerned Tree steps forward, asking if she's okay. A trembling Squirrelflight says he doesn't know. Sounding scared, Tree says that Squirrelflight started to fade. Knowing she might die forever, Squirrelflight asks Tree to give her family a message. Tree agrees and Squirrelflight begins to relay it, but before she can finish, she disappears.
- Ultimately, Squirrelflight decides to return to ThunderClan while Leafpool stays in StarClan. Moonlight, however, dies from her injuries leaving Tree's half-siblings orphaned. When Squirrelflight visits the SkyClan camp to say goodbye to the Sisters, Snow reveals that Tree told them about Leafpool's sacrifice. Tree then approaches them and happliy greets Squirrelflight, who asks if he will esort her to the border. Tree whisks his tail and agrees. As the yellow tom and ginger she-cat leave the camp, Tree says that he's glad he didn't have to pass on Squirrelflight's message. He nervously reveals that he didn't think she'd survive, as he's never spoken to a ghost that wasn't dead before. Squirrelflight asks if he sees Moonlight now, to which Tree fluffs his fur out and says that he doesn't want to. He bitterly mews that she abandoned him life, so he has no reason to put up with her in death. Squirrelflight asks if he's sorry she's dead, and Tree says that of course he is. He says that Moonlight's kits deserve to have a mother, even if only for a short while. Squirrelflight points out that they'll have the Sisters, and Tree awkwardly accepts this. However, he remarks that he and Violetshine will always be there for their kits, and if their in trouble, they have SkyClan. Squirrelflight is pleased that Tree has seemingly learned to appreciate Clan life, and remarks that he is starting to sound like a warrior.
In the Novellas
- Earth and his sisters, Sunrise and Ice, are the kits of Moonlight. Earth's and Stream's attempts to meditate and become one with the land fail, and Earth wishes his mother would spend more time teaching him. While Stream is excited for his wandering in a few moons, Earth is more hesitant. That night, the Sisters hold a ceremony for Snail and Chestnut as both toms have reached of age to begin their wandering, and they bid farewell to them. Later that night, a terrible lightning storm alarms the group. Stream goes missing while Moonlight attempts to gather her cats, and Earth leaves to search for him. Earth finds him, but Stream is killed by lightning. The Sisters mourn for Stream and Haze, who had drowned in the storm. Earth questions his mother why they won't sing for Stream, but Moonlight insists that since Stream was a tom, he was always destined to return to the land and singing for him is unnecessary. During the ceremony, Stream, Haze, and several other spirits arrive, but Earth cannot see them.
- Two moons pass, and Earth dreads his wandering. Hawk attempts to lift his spirits, but a terrible encounter with two rogues leaves Earth in despair. Moonlight chastises Earth for not protecting himself and Hawk with his wandering soon, but Earth doesn't feel like he's ready to leave. Ice falls ill on the day of his wandering, and Earth asks their mother if he can stay for another moon since he is a poor hunter, fighter and hasn't developed a connection with the land or spirits yet. However, Moonlight refuses, and Earth bitterly wonders why his mother doesn't love him as much as his sisters. The Sisters hold Earth's wandering ceremony, and he leaves feeling unprepared for life on his own. The Sisters leave their temporary camp the next day.
- Earth misses his kin, and he follows their scent trail. He runs into Ice, who has recovered, but knows he cannot rejoin the Sisters. A stranger saves Earth from dogs and introduces himself as Root. He allows Earth to say with him for the night, and they sleep in a tree. Earth attempts to communicate with Stream, but to no avail and angrily vows to never forgive the Sisters for abandoning him. Root shares that he briefly spent time with the Sisters and mated with one of them, and both toms realize they are father and son. Root also despises Sisters, and agrees to stay with Earth for a few moons to properly teach him. With Root's suggestion, Earth renames himself Tree to free himself from his past with the Sisters and Moonlight.
- Tree thrives under his father's guidance, but he still wishes to try to speak with the land. However, Root dies saving Tree from a fox, and Tree concludes that the Sisters were right about toms wandering alone free from attachments. Eight moons later, Tree meets Pebbleshine and she tells him about Clan life. He admires her dedication to her Clan, and she invites him to join SkyClan. He refuses, not wishing to form attachments and bear the loss of loved ones again. That night, Root's ghost warns Tree about a fox attacking them, and he and Pebbleshine successfully chase it away. Pebbleshine leaves to find SkyClan, and Root speaks to Tree one final time. He encourages Tree to not be afraid to care for another cat and that he'll always be with him, and Tree looks forward to the future.
- Pebbleshine reflects how she met Tree the day before. Tree had stayed the night her when a fox attacked them, though both cats managed to fight it off. She had invited him to join SkyClan, but he refuses, citing he was a loner. Pebbleshine had regrettably said goodbye to him, though couldn't help but feel their destines were intertwined.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.